“Clean, good value, well located, pretty good for this class of motel”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey
Ranked #39 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Hayward, California
“Clean, good value, well located, pretty good for this class of motel”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed at this Motel twice in two day stints a few weeks apart and I would stay here again.

There is no elevator to the second floor so I ended up just leaving most of my bags in the car and just taking out what I needed.

It was great to see the property is advertised as "non-smoking" but I did see someone smoking outside one of the buildings and there was one of those pits cigarette butts near the front of the property. I think what the staff actually means is that all the rooms are non-smoking not that it is a non-smoking property - maybe a slight language issue here because it is definitely not a non-smoking "property".

I like the wireless internet included - strong signal both stays and the flat screen tv. My second stay the tv did not get in many of the channels and I mentioned it to the front desk staff and they said they would look into it but I never got another response and it didn’t work right both days I was there. I didn't care too much because I had plenty of choices channel choices that worked fine and I really wasn't going to watch much tv.

Both the rooms were very nice overall. A good value for the money. Plenty of towels. The first room did have a very poorly designed toilet stall though. The toilet was not centered in the stall and way too close to the wall. It may not be an issue for smaller people but I’m about 6’3 and it definitely was not the best. Just poorly designed because the stall is actually plenty big enough.

Also as far as design issues. It is definitely not wise to put a portable fountain right in the middle of a sidewalk near the rooms over the office. The fountain looked nice though.

At the check-in they are all business. Definitely not interested in small talk of any kind. I also tried to use the reward Redi card which gives you points towards a future stay but I must have heard at least four or five times from two different people that I should have registered through their website and not through Expedia (I actually used United.com). They seem oblivious that their website charges higher rates for rooms so why would anyone go through it directly. It sounded more like something rehearsed or that someone told them to say because almost to the word both staff members said the same thing.

They tried to help me and I’ll give them credit for that but it was obvious they really didn’t understand what I meant about crediting my previous stay or they could not do it easily. The lady at the counter said she would look into it. I forgot about it until the manager called me the next day and of course I needed to meet with him to resolve this. Putting it back on me the customer saying I should have used their website to make the reservation and thus pay a higher price too is not good service. It seemed like a little thing and I thought they could just punch a few things on the keyboard and give me the proper credit but they couldn't do it and it was not worth my time to pursue it further. Too much time wasted already. I know I will probably never get enough points to get anything through their rewards.

The breakfast is very minimal as far as choices too but I wasn’t expecting much. There was a strange sign saying something along the lines of asking you to eat your food in the small area with a few tables only - but every time I went there wasn't a seat. Nothing wrong with eating in my room of course. There are plenty of good places to get something to eat within walking distance and I figure that's what most people would do.

Overall, very clean, good location, walkable distance to good places to eat so I’ll likely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to hear that you have shared your experience staying with us. Our guests are the most important asset of our business. We want to provide the best service so that they can return in the future for great stays. We are glad you were able to enjoy all of the amenities we have to offer such as free wifi, flat screen televisions, and free breakfast. We sincerely apologize that you had some slight issues about your stay, but we promise that we can fix that in the future. Overall, we are very thankful that you gave us a good rating based on what you experienced. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any concerns.

Neil (G.M.)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Modesto, California
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

what can I say. The staff here were amazingly welcoming. people that say that customer service is no longer alive and well obviously have never been to the Red Roof Inn in Monterey. my boyfriend and I made last minute reservations the night before and got a wonderful rate even though it was for a Saturday night. We arrived before check-in time Saturday morning andthe manager graciously accommodated us by giving us the room key early. We were new to the area and asked for some recommendations for things to do places to see and the manager immediately had more than a few great ideas directions how to get there phone numbers to call even contact names to refer to it was like rooming with your own personal concierge. We had a wonderful stay. The rooms are spotless. Pillows so comfy. The tile floor in the bathroom area really make a difference. Location is out of the way but close enough to be a five minute drive from literally everywhere. We will definitely make the Red Roof Inn our home away from home anytime we are in the area.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Angela,

We are extremely happy that you have given us a perfect rating based on your experience staying with us. Here at Red Roof, we want to provide the best guest service out of all the other competitors in town. We want to be on top, so that our guests come back in the future. My staff does a great job to make sure each guest is treated in the kindliest manner. My housekeeping staff works very hard to make sure that each room is spotless and fresh for guests to enjoy. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any concerns.

Monterey, California
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel three nights while our home in Monterey was being fumigated. The room was clean, comfortable, and relatively quiet, though a bit on the small side. Maid service was excellent; on checkout, the front desk person offered to help us with our many bags.

The hotel is pet-friendly but strangely has a policy of not allowing dogs to be walked on the property. We were expected to take our dog from the back of the property to the street several hundred feet away in the middle of the night. They need to allocate some space on the property for this purpose if they're really going to be pet-friendly.

Overall, I'd recommend Red Roof Inn in Monterey if you're looking for a clean, affordable, centrally located place, particularly if you're attending events at the County Fairgrounds or Laguna Seca.

Room Tip: Rooms in the buildings at the rear of the property will be quieter than those at the front, which fa...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Dan,

We greatly appreciate that you wanted to share your experience staying with us. We strive everyday to give the best guest service that we can. We want to make sure that guests leave happily from our hotel. We are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy a clean, comfortable, and quiet room. Our housekeeping staff does an excellent job ensuring that each room is perfectly clean and fresh for our guests to enjoy. Please refer us to your friends and family and we hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any hassle.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Rarely write reviews for motels, but this place was a great little find. Found this place through TripAdvisor and as one of the cheapest options for a brief overnight stay in Monterey, I was very impressed. It's clearly been renovated recently and the rooms look very nice. Still a very short drive away from Carmel or the harbor, a supermarket opposite.

The only slight negative was the breakfast was quite poor, but then again, it was free, so can you really moan too much. Maybe we just got there too late, as a large group of French people had just left.

Oh and Wi-Fi was very very poor, could barely get a connection.

Room Tip: Upper or lower floors are both fine, we were on the lower floor and couldn't hear anyone upstair...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to hear that you have given us a perfect rating based on your experience staying with us. We always value our guests and we want to put out the best guest service that we can. We want to stand out from everyone else and we want to show the guests that we actually do care about them and their needs. We are happy to hear that you found a great deal for your room and that you enjoyed close locations around the hotel. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we really hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any hassle.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

This hotel had the worst service that I have had at an establishment! When I arrived I told the front desk manager that I did not have a credit card for incidentals but that my mom wanted to put her credit card on file for the incidentals. The front desk manager had a huge attitude about it and started acting extremely rude and talked in a condescending tone not only to me but also to my mother on the phone. I have never had somebody act so rude when I was trying to get them a credit card on file. After arguing with him for about 5 minutes, he finally said that we could email him the credit card information. Then after it took more than 2 minutes( it only took a matter of 5 minutes to get the email to him) he was having an attitude because it wasn't getting emailed as fast as he would have liked! He was the rudest person that I have ever met and I will never again stay at that hotel, nor will I ever recommend that hotel to someone else! I wouldn't even recommend that hotel to someone that I hated! The owners need to fire that front desk manager as soon as possible!!! I would rather sleep in my car than stay in that hotel and be treated that rudely again!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Neil P, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Jason:
First and foremost, I'm really sorry and apologized for any inconvenient that may caused to you. After you gave us your feedback I spoke to you, that it was not my/our intention to cause any inconvenient to you at all. You are my VIP Guest and your reservation was genuine without any doubt. We talked all that at the desk at the time of C/I.
We have to follow the PCI compliance, stay within their guide line which is fully required by C/C processing company. Other than that I had no objection or no argument.
Whenever someone presenting C/C on phone for Rent/Incidental, we need to meet the requirement of the C/C holder's authorization either via fax or email. In your case it was an end moment for your mom to go through that process, and I felt sorry for it.
We discussed all these at the time of C/I, and I believe it was all clear between us without any kind of misunderstanding.
Again, I apologize if I did not explain you correctly or created any confusion for you, but it was not my intention at all. I hope you understand and give me an opportunity to serve you again.
Yours Truly,
Neil at Red Roof Inn.
Nürnberg
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room and the welcome were perfect, one of the most comfortable and quiet stay within our tour across california, being first time in US.
The only thing to mention is, that during breakfast, a lot of guest joined the breakfast area, but milk, orange juice, coffee and toast had been running out, there was none left. Guests talked and stayed hungry. Some staff obviously rejected to re-fill and to bring further food. After several requests by several guest, a woman of staff brought further food. also, the coffee was freshly brewed (leaving in question if 3 + 1/2 spoon of coffee will brew a deli coffee...so, the coffee did not taste good, the rest was very good).
All in all, the room amenities and the cleanliness made the breakfast experience more than offset, we had 2 great nights. We felt very safe and comfortable.
We wish the motel a good and prosperous future, it is a very nice and cosy place.

Room Tip: There is no real tip, some rooms have even a balcony, which was very nice to have. all rooms are qui...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Guest,

We are happy to hear that you wanted to share your experience staying with us. We always want to be the very best when it comes to providing guest service. We want guests to keep coming back so that they can enjoy a great stay. We are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy all of the room amenities. We extremely apologize that your breakfast experience may not have gone as well but we promise to change that in the future. Please refer us to your friends and family and we really do hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any issues.

Monterey, California
Reviewed 27 September 2013

After staying in Motel 6 for two weeks, my room here seemed like a suite and the prices are almost identical. The room included a flat screen tv, micro fridge, plus microwave. Having a desk with a leather type chair was a pleasant surprise. When an issue did arise, I was helped out of a bind by the manager, Neil. As for the free breakfast....I've never really gone to any budget hotel expecting a gourmet breakfast, so anything free is a plus for me. Also being dog friendly was a bonus.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mark T
Dear Mark,

We are very happy to hear that you wanted to share your experience staying with us. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy all of the room amenities that we have to offer. Everything in the room is brand new and renovated and it makes us proud that you were able to take advantage. Please refer us to your friends and family and we really do hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any hassle.

Neil (G.M)