“Great little motel!”

Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Lancashire
“Great little motel!”
Reviewed 6 June 2012 via mobile

This is a fabulous place to stay if you are on a budget in Monterey. It's a bit back from the sights of Monterey but we had a car so it was fine. The rooms are spacious and clean with a tv, DVD player, heating and plenty of clean towels. Overall good value and we had no complaints!

1 Thank foxypinklady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

I was unsure about this lodge because of its location on Fremont street and I am spoiled because we always stay in Pacific Grove on Aslimor, but this trip is dive trip for my hubby so we stayed at the Lone Oak because they are "diver fliendly".

When I called to make our reservation the man I spoke to told me a queen bed room would be $60.00 night and that I would be given a "divers rate". Well upon check in we were charged more...apparently I was quoted rates for mid-week not Friday and Saturday weekend rates. All the more reason why the owners of this motel should update their reservation and email a copy of the reservation to guests. Oh well, even paying their weekend rates is much less than anyone else in the are. They are AAA approved, though I didn't get a discount.

Bedding, furniture and bathroom are outdated. Only item modern about the room was the flat screen TV.
Free wi-fi
Carpet torn at entry.. Cracked tile in bathroom.
Single stand up shower in bathroom.
At 5;00 a.m. you'll hear people starting their cars.
Walls really are thin.
Bed was comfortable, pillows were too.
Near the airport...so you'll hear airplanes (daytime)
Request a room towards the back of the motel (further back from busy Fremont Ave.)
Fridge in room and coffee maker in room.
Equipped for scuba divers

All in all an ok place to stay for a night or two.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

Don't know if it was a misunderstanding on my part or the gentleman on the phone. Originally booked room with fireplace but a friend decided up join us so I called to book a room with two queen size beds. Gentleman who answered the phone suggested two bedroom cottage as it would give us more room. I am positive he said it had a sitting room. Well, we were very disappointed. You walk right into a bedroom. This room was small, had a hard time to find a place to put your suitcase. Back bedroom had two single beds, ok for kids but not another adult. No sitting room. Had a table with 2 chairs. But this table and chairs were right up against the bed. We felt very crowed. This was not a free standing cottage but apart of the motel. Motel was clean and the bathroom had been renovated. Lady at front desk very helpful and friendly. We would probably not stay here again. This was our first time to the area and California. Felt to cramp in our "cottage".

• Stayed April 2012
Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

Everything was there even the dryer for hair, very clean and quite!

1 Thank Brownfrangetta
Concord, California
Reviewed 10 May 2012

After looking at several hotels and motels for our anniversary retreat, Lone Oak Lodge sounded like the best option for an overnight trip. I made my reservations with Lori and she informed me that she had a room with a king size bed, jacuzzi, and gas fireplace. This included 2 two day tickets to the aquarium.
When we checked in Lori suggested a great restaurant for a lovely anniversary dinner, and gave us a tip for ordering off of the locals menu.
The room was very clean, but it did not have a jacuzzi. I checked with the front desk and was given the key to the door for the in room jacuzzi. What a pleasant surprise. The jacuzzi had a room of it's own between the bedroom and bathroom. So nice to enjoy after a day of walking.
The in room coffee produced actual coffee, not water with a coffee taste. The room was quiet, we didn't hear any outside noises, and the bed was quite comfortable.
We will definitely stay here again if we are in that area, and recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: The king size suite with the jacuzzi and fireplace provide a relaxing and romantic retreat.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ilene f
Auburn
Reviewed 6 May 2012

This is a very well maintained old motel, but the towels, the quiet, the cleanliness is very 5 star feel. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monakay
loneoaklodgemonterey, Manager at Lone Oak Lodge, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Thank you so much for the nice compliment! Hope to see you again soon.
Killingworth, CT
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We stayed in room 32 from 3/8/ 2012 to 3/10/2012. The rooms were shall we say dated, but they were awesomely clean. On the day we were leaving, the housekeeping staff was washing the curtains and rehanging them. When was the last time you saw that! The place is like a step back in time, old TVs, bathrooms laid out like the 70's including my favorite: the timed heating bulb! Lots of tradespeople staying while we were there and the neighborhood seemed a little off. As a woman traveling by myself, I'm not sure I would stop, but with a group as I was, the place was a hidden gem. I didn't dive while there but could see that the place was set up perfect for the dive vacationer. Internet worked great. We paid $80 a night. Not sure what other places in the area go for, but I guess for Monterey it was a real bargain. I wish upper scale hotels would learn to clean like the crew at Lone Oak Lodge.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Killybeggs_8
loneoaklodgemonterey, Manager at Lone Oak Lodge, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful housekeeping compliment. I will pass it along to our staff. You will be happy to know that we are currently doing a few room upgrades before summer starts. One of the upgrades are new flat screen televisions in all rooms, along with new sinks, base cabinets and faucets in most bathrooms and reupholstering all of the large room chairs. Replacing the older televisions really makes a difference, it looks so nice! Hope to see you back again soon!