“Nice for a quick overnight up the coast”

Inn By The Bay Monterey
Ranked #37 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stopped here on our drive from Big Sur up to San Francisco. Just like many of the places in Monterey, it's a motel style place - that's kind of a piece of Monterey's charm. They keep it clean and the people are friendly. Front desk hours are limited. It's pretty dated, but they keep it clean. If you're looking for a safe and clean place to stop for a couple of night, it's a good choice. If you're looking for a hotel with amenities, this will not meet your needs. If passing through town, I would stay here, again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 March 2014

They had helpful staff, acceptable beds, and clean accommodations. Make sure you get a room on the second floor. (They have thin walls.) Good value for what you pay for. They were located near everything that we needed downtown. We just parked at the hotel and never needed the car after that.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank djw14
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This place is great for the price. We got in for 79+ tax on a Saturday and 59+ tax on Sunday, Monday. It's centrally located; We were able to walk everywhere. We never woke up early enough for the breakfast (8-9:30) so I don't know how it was. The toiletries included conditioning shampoo and bar soap so I would recommend bringing your own. They have very fast wireless internet. We will likely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jasmine G
Nisha p, General Manager at Inn By The Bay Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for the review. I am happy to inform you that we have upgraded our soap to a larger size to ensure the comfort of our guests. We hope that you will come stay with us to see the difference.

Nisha

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here a few years back and I had a pleasant stay at that time. I called and requested a room on the second floor near the hot tub since I knew I would want to soak each night. When I arrived, I was happy to find that I had the room on the end in the corner where the hot tub was. However, the hot tub was no longer there. Apparently, it has been gone for some time and, even though I made this request, I was not told about this. The manager indicated that they chose to remove it and the tub would only return if they received enough requests, which left me without this amenity for this stay. She was very pleasant and she did refund a bit of my price each night. As was stated in a prior post, the bars of soap are the smallest I have ever seen in my life. Additionally, the continental breakfast does not start until 8:00 a.m. so I missed this each day. Usually, this amenity is there for people who are staying on business but, if your business begins at the normal time, you are out of luck. Overall, the hotel is fine for the price but I think you can do better, as can they.

Room Tip: Ask for a second story room that faces the road. They are set back away from the road and there is v...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Hoopsdad
Nisha p, General Manager at Inn By The Bay Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for your review. We did remove the hot tub due to the amount of noise it created for the rooms near the hot tub. We would rather have guests who have a peaceful nights rest rather than a complaint about the noisy guests in the hot tub all night. Our soap bars have been switched to a larger size and we hope that you will visit us in the future to see the difference.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

After the worst experience in my life at another hotel we stumbled upon this one. Very nice newly renovated reasonably priced place to stay. The staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. We did not stay for the continental breakfast but they gave us a 10 percent discount card for Dennys. All in all a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I went there out of season so that the rooms were very cheap (below 50 bucks). For that price, I was satisfied with the room.Very basic but good enough for a night of sleep.
Some positive aspects: very fast wireless internet, the possibility to park your car close to the room and a shopping center in the neighborhood of the motel. The personal was friendly.
A few negative aspects: the rooms are not so well sound isolated, so that you can hear the neighbors smashing doors or moving stuff around. I also found the breakfast mediocre.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed here with my husband five years ago. The original plan was to camp in Big Sur, but all the campgrounds were full. We kept driving till we hit Monterey and all the pet friendly hotels were booked. A word of mouth by one of the hotel's representative that we visited, led us here to this charming little inn. Luckily, we took the last available room. The staff were very friendly. It's really one of the cheapest pet friendly inn to stay in when visiting Monterey. Fast forward to now, we booked the last room again. We are very happy we found this place. Pets are very welcome with a $15 fee. They also offer free WI-FI and free parking with mini breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple