“A Nightmare”

Ranked #9 of 10 Monterey B&B and Inns
Ithaca, New York
“A Nightmare”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

To be fair, we were placed in this motel at the last minute by Hotwire, when the place we originally booked refused to honor the "enough beds for all occupants" Hotwire guarantee, and we felt it was important for our 17-year-old daughter to have her own bed. We should have given more thought to what type of place has vacancies at the last minute on a Saturday night in Monterey, in August. This was the worst dump we have ever stayed in.the first room they gave us had a rusted out-fridge and a lamp with no way to turn it on. We insisted on another room,and the room they gave us looked marginally better, but it was still a mess. Furniture that was cheap in the 1970's, and has not been changed. Threadbare sheets that were at least 15 years old. The cockroach that my husband killed in bed at 4:30 in the morning. We got almost no sleep and left as soon as we could. Run, don't walk, from this dive.

Room Tip: There is no good room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Very blunt on the telephone, mr personality. Wouldn't recommend.
We called to apologise and change the booking, due to a mix up of dates (our Fault) The owner/manager was most unhelpful, only interested in charging our card, "as it is hotel policy" "no refunds due to late cancelation", no alternative date was offered, he missed an opportunity to book us (6 adults) in for a later date and win a loyal customer. We found later in the week there were still rooms available at the hotel, so his loss.....

Stayed August 2013

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This motel is priced attractively, but you don't want to stay there. It doesn't strike an impression as a bad place, but there is a combination of little things that make it not good.
Here's why travelers should avoid it:
There is some strange sound at night, like a washing machine that won't turn off, or sewer pipes are not insulated *at all*. If somebody on the other end of the building takes a shower, you hear it. At 2am. Yes.
Fridges in the room and a/c units are noisy. If you want to sleep on a hot night, tough choice.
Rooms themselves are small, the window will be right next to the door, I felt claustrophobic inside. Humid and dark after a long day.
No pool, no spa, no fitness, no nothing.
Shopping is close, but still you'd have to drive.
Management isn't very attentive to your issues. Don't expect them to respond to anything.

Room Tip: Pay an extra $20 for a better place.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Like almost every review here (unless your Indian) I have to say the manager possesses zero customer service skills.
I won't bore you with details, save to say our experience matched the other negative comments here.
Also. Wifi is rubbish. I overheard the manager tell another guest "sometimes we have it, sometimes we don't", the room wasn't dirty but it was old and tired looking and smelled a bit smoky.
Continental breakfast begs the question from which continent exactly? It consisted of stale chocolate cake and orange juice. On a tray. In the reception area. That stinks like a curry house (and I love curry but come on!)
Other guests were drunk and noisy and some stupid woman constantly forgot where her friends were staying and kept trying to get into our room.
Choose the another motel further down the road. For the same price you'll get better service and a pool.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here thru booking.com where it was advertised as a $270 room for $91. Although the office displayed multiple "no smoking" signs, it smelled like an incense fumigation chamber and the walls oozed curry stink. In order to get Wifi or cell reception you had to be close to the smelly lobby,although judging by the number of guests texting from their cars, they preferred the parking lot. The room was a definite surprise - large holes in the carpet, filthy table and bacteria lined shower curtain. Shame on booking.com for allowing this abuse of a hotel to misrepresent itself.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yoni R
California City, California
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for only night and unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations as have wanting to try and stay here for many years. I was put in a far back room on the ground floor. The room was a little on the older side but I was ok with it and it really was clean with what there was to work with as far décor goes. The best part of the room the fireplace that kept the room at a nice temperature all night. The worst occurred though around 5:30 am when I was awoken by an argument next door by the 'tenants'. I asked the manager about who was staying in that room and he just said "they would not do that". To make sure I was not dreaming I preceded to ask the folks themselves and they ofcourse they were a little defensive and I knew that it was just better to let it go instead of having another fight start so I just checked out in a couple of hours. There is no breakfast here.

If it was not for beautiful Monterey I never would have stayed here and I am sure will never again especially for the price that they charge. Save your money and just go to another hotel down the street a bit.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 5 July 2013

There are many places to stay in Monterey but I doubt whether you would get a more hospitable host elsewhere.
If you are an Indian ( Gujrati- even better), then don't blink an eye and go stay here. Mr.Joshi, the manager is a gentleman and will certainly make you feel at home, particularly if you are a family with small kids. We truly had a great time and for us, Del Monte Pines is now like a home away from home. Thank You Mr. Joshi .. Take a bow !

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family