“clean, friendly but VERY quiet”
Review of HI Monterey Hostel

HI Monterey Hostel
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Nice place, but not a lot going on. clean, friendly, lots of info, big communal area, good showers.

The internet situation with ALL HI hostels is just ridiculous - ancient slow computers that you have to pay through the nose for. They really need to be proactive and sort that out.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank WayfaringVoyager

Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was the only hostel we stayed in this trip and we were lucky enough to get a private room. For Monterey I suppose it is good value, but at over $80 a night, it was quite expensive for what we got. A small room with a small double bed and a bunk bed. Whilst we started off in the same bed, the heat and size of it meant that I removed myself to the lower bunk for much of the night. It was quite stuffy, with no air conditioning and only a small window. Th sheets seemed clean enough, but two of the pillows were stained, i think with hair gel. The door lock was a number pad which, although it cut the annoyance of keys, also made the room feel less secure. When we left to walk Cannery Row and find dinner, we took our (few) valuables with us. Location wise, it is great and as a one night stop, it was fine, but I would not want to spend too long staying here. Monterey is in drought and the hostel are combatting this with 4min shower tokens. We were given two each and offered more if required, but I only used one of mine. The kitchen seems well equipped, although most of the bowls were in the dishwasher and breakfast is provided - or at least the means to make pancakes, should you desire them. Coffee etc is provided for a small donation.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This was good value for Monterey, helpful friendly staff, pancakes & fruit for breakfast was delicious, clean, big open plan lounge area with lots of info, & within walking distance of Cannery Row. Only downsides were it is closed for a while during the day when they clean it, & the bedrooms are almost underground so very dark.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I stayed May 2012 for one night, it was the first time I stayed in a HI hostel and it was great. The staff member was really helpful and friendly and offered us lots of advice on things to do. The kitchen was well equipped and big, lots of free condiments etc. Which I found really helpful as they are things you don't usually buy for a short trip. The dorm was pretty big which is annoying. A sheet does not separate dorms!! But really quiet and the beds were very comfy. I guess some people wouldn't like the fact that it's a dry hostel and that there is a curfew but I wasn't in Monterey to party so actually enjoyed that. Nice to see a mix of people not just young backpackers. Overall, a fantastic hostel!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed it
If your looking for a party hostel this isn't for you
it is very quiet and has a mixed age group, we stayed in the dorm on the phone they said it was a 8 bed dorm but it is actually a 16 bed so they lied which was a bit annoying, it is separated by a sheet, they should just be honest and say it's a 16 bed it was ok though the bed are clean and comfy

There was a large kitchen and lots of free food if u needed it, we just had pancakes in the morning which were really nice

there is a huge common area good if you want to read
5 mins walk to the seafront and 15 mins to fishermans whalf

if you arrive by bus you can walk it to hostel

The staff were all very helpful, we wanted to book our whale watching tour with Monterey whale watches and the phone wasn't working we did ask the girl if we paid her could we use the hostel phone she didn't let us and told us they recommend princess whale tours and we should book that online which wasn't very helpfull
Also they have tip jars everywhere wanting money for tea and coffee and pancakes this was a shame as we had paid enough each night we thought
If I came back to Monterey I would love to stay here again, it's one of the better HI hostels we have stayed

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Yearout2012
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I was planning to camp at Big Sur after a business convention as an antidote to corporate hoteldom but actually decided at the last minute it would be too much hassle so instead booked this hostel - I'm in my mid 40's and had never tried a hostel so I was a bit unsure! I'm pleased to say, it was great - if you are travelling alone you can chat to others in the evening and the staff were very friendly. The location for me was superb but I did have a rental car so I guess if you didn't have a car it might be a bit of a walk to see much more than just the old town part of Monterey. I was in a dormitory type set up which was a bit weird, primarily as I was initially a bit concerned about my property but it seemed that everyone else was very relaxed about laptops and iphones so I just chilled as well and stopped worrying. WiFi was free so I was able to log on easily and do my work stuff in the evening or early morning. All in all, great value for money, felt safe, parking etc was on site and I'd do it again now anytime!

Room Tip: I don't think you get a choice!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank DucatiBiposto
Reviewed 24 October 2011

stayed here in private room in june 2011 whilst doing 3 week trip of california.
2 girls for 2 nights $141.80 inc taxes and non member fees. the private room had double bed and a bunk bed. quite dark in the room, bit grubby looking. the dorms actually looked nicer! the rest of the hostel was nice enough. tv area lovely and kitchen big and clean. bathroom adequate, free use of hairdryers. need tokens for showers get these from reception and if you needed more no prob, trying to conserve water here. big car park (free) bit of walk down to monterey sea front but not too bad (bout 15mins) didnt love this hostel but it was adequate for our stay, free trolley round monterey (bus ride) and the sardine factory restaurant i highly recommend (do 3 course dinner for around 30dollars if i remember rightly from 5-7pm?) didnt really know where to go at night for nights out and the hostel has a curfew so if your looking for a sociable night out then you cant be late back as you get locked out!!! think it was 1am curfew time, in hindsight i would only stay here for 1 night again and thats if i had to stay in monterey again, it was too long a drive to get from santa bab to san fran through big sur etc so we had to stop off somewhere- think monterey is a place for older people to enjoy, we did ask at reception what to do at night but was told wasnt much. to be honest this was the only hostel i wouldnt stay at again on my travels round california, just thought it was a bit gloomy for us and like i said only stayed in monterey to break up the long drive.

Room Tip: maybe opt for a dorm instead of private room as just the same looking
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends