“Could have been better”

Alvarado Fish and Steak House
Ranked #155 of 301 Restaurants in Monterey
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Alvarado Fish and Steak House is conveniently located in the center of downtown Monterey. It is family-owned and ran by John DiGirolamo Sr. and Jr., whose old family photos and history you can see and enjoy throughout the restaurant. The importance of family history is further highlighted as they fuse their Italian and Japanese decent to create outstanding lunch and dinner plates for the menu as well as for the daily specials. Alvarado Fish and Steak House provides the perfect atmosphere for all occasions; whether you are there for an intimate dinner for two, or a casual meal with the whole family, the Fish and Steak House is a great spot to be.
Los Angeles, California
“Could have been better”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My Husband and I were visiting Monterey and decided to use the Groupon for Alvarado Fish and Steak House. The restaurant is in a great location and the restaurant looked inviting. We had made reservations as required by Groupon. There was a small wait for a table and another couple was seated after us. The couple seated after my Husband and myself were served their meal and almost finished before the waiter took our order. The service was slow and the food average. My Husband had the sand dabs and I had the salmon. We will try another restaurant next trip to Monterey.

Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Great place for a non-touristy beer and a bite”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Monterey is one of those towns that is either mega touristy or sleeping. When we walked by, this place stood out as it was very busy, and the crowd looked like a nice variety of all kinds of people. We did the obligatory walk on the wharf, decided we didn't want a full meal, and went back to Alvarado Street. It was busy, but we could sit at a bar-like table while waiting for a private table (we ended up staying at our bar, it felt cosy enough). Their beers are amazing (we had the prohibition cream ale) and very very reasonably priced. Most come in pints :-) The menu is small but has something for everyone. We decided on two starters, the mac & cheese and the poutine. Both were more than enough for us (not used to US size portions so we were still semi-full from lunch), and very tasty! The staff was very friendly. Overall atmosphere was really good, acoustics pretty good for a relatively large space (a lot of buzz, but you can hear each other just fine without shouting), decor grand cafe, only a few tv screens. The open kitchen looked well organized, and service was quick enough (without being so quick you just know all the food has to be prefab and was just zapped), the m&c had a nice crunchy topping and the cheese curds on the poutine were fluffy. Apparently they had just opened a month ago, so I really hope they keep up the high standards and decent pricing. For now, I would love to take this place with me!

• Visited June 2014
“Limited Menu and Overpriced”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were attracted to the restaurant as we walked by because it looked like a "happening place." As it turned out, "happening" meant that due to the bare walls and high ceilings the place was noisy enough to make it very difficult to hear or have a conversation. The menu was VERY limited and not oriented toward "comfort food" selections. The menu prices were on the high side and portions were small. Overall, we didn't feel like we got value for the prices.

• Visited May 2014
california
“cute little place”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I purchased a Groupon coupon for The Fish and Steak House. I was welll recieved, with open arms....
I wish I got our waitresses name, she was so nice, and sweet !. I was comfortable, and enjoyed everything we had, which was; the Calamari, Fish n chips were great, light and delicious. I had the house salad also, which was only 6 $ for a nice size salad ! Yummy fresh Greens ! My son had the Crab Raviolli,,,,he loved them ! We're not too far away and we WILL be going back !

South West England, United Kingdom
“New business”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

What a pleasant surprise. A really attractive place and caught our eye due to the minimalistic but interesting menu. It is a small brewery as well. The staff were really helpful and the food was lovely. We are on holiday and wanted something different but with character this restaurant delivered that , squid was delicate , chicken tasty and beers recommended well. Some will be disappointed as there was queuing due to its popularity but don't let that put you off. We are in Monterey for two nights and will probably go back the second night. My husband who does not get overly excited called it awesome and moorish . Thanks for a nice meal the first time in California .