“Great Fish & Chips at 39 Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey, CA”

Old Fisherman's Grotto
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Fisherman's Grotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 306 Restaurants in Monterey
Price range: US$25 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Scott Street
Description: Located on historic Fisherman's Wharf with stunning views of the Monterey Harbor, Old Fisherman's Grotto is a "must visit" restaurant. The "Grotto" has rightfully earned its worldwide reputation for only the finest cuisine in a superb atmosphere and service. Featuring fresh seafood from sustainable sources including Macadamia Crusted Halibut, Hawaiian Swordfish, Ultimate Seafood Pasta, live Crab and Lobster, the Grotto also offers a variety of the finest "Certified Angus Beef". Start with our award-winning clam chowder and finish by indulging in one of our fresh house-made desserts. Enjoy a bottle of wine from our 2014, 2015 Wine Spectator Award Wine list with over 200 selections specializing in local vineyards. AAA 3 Diamond Rating, Monterey Peninsula Chamber "Business Excellence" Award Winner. 2010 1St Place "West Coast Chowder Competition", "Best Chowder" Monterey County for 12 consecutive years , Winner "Best Calamari" three consecutive years in the Monterey County's Weekly Magazine "People's Choice Award". No high chairs. No strollers. No booster chairs. Children crying or making loud noises are a distraction to other diners and as such not permitted in the dining room.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is a nice find, especially if you like seafood.

Most of our party had the Fish & Chips (3 of the 4 of us are from England, so their comments mean more than others). We all enjoyed our dinner very much! Dessert was yummy, too.

The setting is by the water and surrounded by colorful people and surroundings.

Park in the nearby large public parking lot (there are places to self pay). Enjoy a walk on the next pier (which is mostly the commercial fishing pier) and enjoy all the boats.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We love Old Fisherman's Grotto even with the ancient decor, strange staff and crazy tourist trappings. But that is just it, we only take visitors for the chowder apologizing the whole time for the rest. Our visitors always come away satisfied with the food and curious to see if the Grotto is the restaurant standard in Cali. At that point we can take them ANYWHERE, cause not much can be worse at this price.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

OK, so I know that the Fisherman's Wharf restaurants are tourist destinations, but that's OK. We were headed out to dinner at another place on the wharf, when we were engaged by the "chowder girl" for the grotto. She did an amazing job of reeling us in, and I'm glad she did.

Although we did not have a window seat, we still had a great view of the bay. My amiga enjoyed the abalone, and I the "Captains Feast", which included salmon, shrimp, lobster and scallops. We both had a glass of Reisling, and shared a little dessert. We took a lot of time eating and enjoying the venue, and that was no problem. Service was very attentive without being bothersome.

With so many good restaurants on the Wharf, its difficult to pick, but I would definitely return here

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This place was recommended by the Hotel we stayed at. We werent disappointed. Great Service, Great food, Desserts that put on the kilos just looking at them. Big meals of good quality making it good value for money. Also had NZ wine (Oyster Bay) Yay.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I came here with my wife after seeing positive reviews on tripadvisor. We decided to come for lunch after visiting the monterey bay aquarium. It's located in a touristy spot on one of the piers in Monterey. The view from the restaurant is quite nice, but the food was pretty sad. I ordered a ciappino (a seafood stew) and my wife ordered a seafood salad. This was the first time I can actually say I had a bad ciappino and my wife's dish wasn't very good either. Maybe the more standard tourist fare like hamburgers and fish and chips is better, but we were disappointed by the quality of food.

2  Thank BuckshotLaFonque