“Enjoyable Pub”

Crown & Anchor
Ranked #17 of 312 Restaurants in Monterey
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Excellent ambiance - true to real thing. Steak and mushroom pie was very good. Server attentive and pleasant. Great beer selection. Outside seats if desired. Nearby the Marriott - few blocks from Fisherman's Wharf.

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife had the spicy beef stroganoff. I guess the clue was in the title but it was too spicy for my wife to eat. However when clearing our plates no one asked how it had been or whether she would have liked something different. I think that would have been good customer service as the food was obviously not touched. Apart from that the beer is well kept though the bar prices are generally expensive.

The decor is interesting and it was nice to experience the pub style bar. One last thing, the barman on the night wasn't that friendly. He also knew that my wife hadn't eaten her meal but didn't try to rectify the situation.

We didn't have time to check out any other places in Monterrey but I'd look elsewhere if we went back

1  Thank Kevin-NewTricks
Reviewed 30 May 2014

As a Brit living in the USA and visiting Monterey I really wasn't expecting "genuine" British food but the bangers and mash were excellent (real bangers and real gravy brit style) My wife had the fish and chips and was very satisfied too. Good selection of British beers and ales. Wonderful ambience with good wait staff. Food arrived fast and hot and plenty of it.
You HAVE to try the sticky toffee pudding which is to die for!!
I give the Crown and Anchor a 10 out of 10. Well done!!
We noticed the outside seating as we left which was a plus.
Close to $3 parking (which in Monterey is unheard of)
Compares much better than the overpriced and poor excuse for good seafood on the wharf!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Crown and Anchor:

Scene: The Anchor decor is awesome. As someone who loves British anything (and not being a Brit) this is great. Servers wear Union Jack ties and the walls are adorned with British Navy decorations.

The Anchor is a great mix of locals and visitors alike. I first came here with my wife 10 years ago and my experience is always Great.

I had the honor of drinking with the owner Tony and his wife Sarah. Tony and Sarah did not know I was writing this review.

Tony will talk until the sun comes up and is a master of British accented swears. Just an absolute joy to listen to. Sarah, with her accent, was euphoric to listen too.

First, we talked about the Manchester United Football Club and I was playfully insulted for being Man U supporter and I was "schooled" about the different football leagues in Europe. More importantly I learned Tony loves the FU! (Not offensive! Look it Up!)

I was able to get talk to them about their opinions about British History and Politics. This made me fell like I was in a authentic British Pub.

Their perspectives on PM Thatcher and Churchill were authentic and, quite frankly, historic.

Their memories of the time period should be documented

Food: They have pub foods and I had the Chowder with a pint. Very good.

Prices: Happy hour has $4 pints of all most all draft beer and various selections of food.

Overall I recommend the Crown & Anchor for the chowder, conversation, and pints.

Travel Happy, Travel Often!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed at the Marriott and this great English Pub is directly across the street. One of the best meals and brews/wine we had while in California. Dinner was well presented, abundant and fresh. The atmosphere and décor were lively yet comfortable. Terrific value!

1  Thank Laura M