“Dated food preparation and ambience”

The Sardine Factory
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sardine Factory is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 311 Restaurants in Monterey
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Prescott
Transit: MST stop less than 2 blocks away on the corner of Wave St. & David.
Description: Every city has that one can't miss restaurant, where celebrities feel at home and every other guest feels like a celebrity. Since October 2, 1968, The Sardine Factory's cachet has made dining in our historic Cannery Row setting a tradition for world leaders, sports heroes and entertainment icons. Our award-winning chefs prepare delectable creations of fresh, sustainable seafood and USDA Prime Dry Aged Beef; winner of Restaurant Hospitality Magazine's "Best Wine List in America" award. The Lounge's live entertainment, Happy Hour and affordable menu are a casual alternative to our other dining rooms. Voted "Best Restaurant in Monterey" by Monterey County Herald and Carmel Pine Cone Readers. Celebrating over 49 years under the same ownership and management!
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Dined this evening at this restaurant and my husband and I agree that this establishment is caught in a time warp. The decor is very elaborate and the food is heavily sauced. We wanted so much to feel good about the Sardine Factory because many, many years ago, it was a favorite. Unfortunately, the experience fell short of our hopes.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Another Monterey eatery that I hadn't been to in decades.
It was the first restaurant built in the Cannery area back when the entire area was nothing but tumbling down ruins.
There is a very, very good reason it is still here. The food is simply wonderful.
My wife and I both had the Abalone dinner and it was as great as I remembered it (albeit quintuple the price!;-)) but no matter WHAT it cost, I'll order it again the next time I return!
All the food was EXCELLENT as was the wonderful, attentive, never in your face, service.
We had a quiet table in a corner in the back room and had a wonderful, romantic, unhurried, well served meal.
It was VERY GOOD and VERY Expensive and I'd be excited to go again tomorrow! Well, except I'm back in Ft Lauderdale!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the memories!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We tried to get a seat in the lounge last night and were told that a table would become available for us in a couple of minutes, a nice table in the window area.
We sat directly in front of the man who told us and waited. The table was cleared and we still waited. I caught the eye of the person searing people a couple times without any reaction.
Another couple came in, as we had done before, and asked for a lounge table and were immediately seated in the table promised to us.
Of course I went straight up and asked what was going on, only to be told we should have taken the table earlier. I have no idea what the staff thought we were doing sitting right in front of them the entire time, perhaps they thought we had a hobby of waiting in restaurant entrances before simply leaving without eating.
We were offered a tiny table, perhaps big enough for one drink, a table that was free for the whole time we were there.
In many years of grovelling I have never experienced anything so unprofessional and will not be going back to this restaurant, and I suggest that you not either.

1  Thank jdassoc
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Great service, very good food. Sardine factory is a little pricey, but worth it on special occasions. Make sure you eat in the conservatory room.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

The food was excellent. Our party had both red meat and seafood. Everything was done to perfection. Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Would have been our favorite restaurant this trip to Monterey except for the atmosphere (or rather lack of it). The front dining area was dark, loud, and busy. The main dining room appeared trapped in the days of Brady Bunch, but has a nice fireplace. The conservatory was even louder and more congested. Like the name suggested, you feel packed in like sardines in a sardine factory. Never felt comfortable being seated in the cramped conservatory. Lots of activities with people buzzing in and out mere inches away from you and bus-boys holding trays over your head as they whiz from table to table. If you are planning something special or romantic, definitely ask to be seated in the main dining room. Like others have alluded to, the decor is from the 70's-80's.