We stayed at this hotel during our tour of California.
The staff was very welcoming and not obtrusive, the kids were offered warm chocolate chip cookies upon check in.
The room was a spacious double-double at the end of a looong corridor. it was nicely appointed in a marine-themed style. We had no problem with outside noise, except for some sea gulls screaming in the morning, but this added to the holiday-by-the-sea feel.
The bathroom wasn't really up to par and although very clean, would be more likely expected in a 3* Holiday Inn.
We ate breakfast at Jacks restaurant twice, which was very good value for money, especially with kids. The restaurant staff was again very helpfull and out of the way, the best we met this two weeks in California ! Especially the lady cook at the egg station deserves accolades for her great service.
Free WiFi service is only offered in the lower lobby area and in Jacks Lounge. In-room WiFi is prohibitly expensive and worth the trip to the lobby.
Kids activities like a treasure hunt are offered by the reception desk upon request, and the hotel itself is located next to fishermans wharf (where you HAVE to take a whale watching cruise with "gowhales.com" at the end of the pier and then to the right) and the aquarium (another must) is only a short (shuttle) ride away.
If you like Spa activities or spending time by the pool, you maybe should ask for a room in the other building across the pedestrian street, where the Spa and pool area are located.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED Certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, three on-site restaurants including a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, TravelUp, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay