“Great hotel”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 January 2008

We just stayed here for one night on our way down to LA from SF. We got a cheap rate on their web site ($ 149 for a deluxe room with free parking). The staff was friendly and very service minded. The room was nice and the location of the hotel is great. Garage is just outside the hotel for easy parking.

• Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank Greeboss

Reviewed 31 December 2007

This hotel is situated beautifly with wonderful views of Fisherman's Wharf. The parking was great as the hotel has it's own garage and there were always plenty of spaces available, even with the hotel sold out. Check in was fast and friendly and they give you delicious cookies when you check in. Our first room was nice. We booked the deluxe king room and had a nice partial ocean view with a balcony. Our room was not cleaned prior to our occupying it. When we called the front desk to let them know that the sheets wern't changed (stained linens-very dirty and gross), nor was the furniture cleaned (sticky spots) or even the vanity or toilet (hair everywhere) cleaned, we were given complimentary drinks in their bar and waited an hour to return to our room so that it could be properly cleaned. Upon returning to the room, we found clean sheets but all the rest of the issues were still there. We called the front desk again, this time really upset by the filth in the room, and were told that we could wait in the hall while they again "brushed up" our room. We said ok then changed our minds in a minute because it was almost 10 pm now. We figured that all we needed were clean sheets to sleep anyway.
The next morning, we told management what had happened and were apologized to over and over and given a substancial upgrade for the night. This room was extremely clean. We feel that housekeeping thought that we were a stay over and not a new guest when they cleaned the initial room.
People keep asking, after all of that, would you stay there again. Yes we would. The hotel really was nice, the employees very friendly, and feel that the housekeeping staff just got their signals crossed. We are planning another trip in the spring.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stephp
Reviewed 20 December 2007

Hi,

My significant other & I wanted to get away for a romatic getaway. The Portola was perfect !

Monterey is so beautiful, 17 mile drive is a must as well as traveling Hwy 1 south to Bixby bridge. It was so beautiful watching the waves and nature.

The weather was perfect!

Back to the hotel - nice cozy room with view of the shops, quiet, great bed (cozy). This is the perfect getaway for a nice quiet weekend.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank makeitso4u
Reviewed 4 December 2007

I recently visited the United States for the first time and I have to say I was not terribly impressed with several of the hotels I stayed in. The Portola Plaza is a notable exception.

The location of the hotel is first clas. The service, excellent, I confess I didn't sample their food but it looked great (there are too many tempting restaurants in Monterey.)

This is the sort of place I imagined all good American hotels to be.

I can't wait to go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2007

This hotel used to be a Doubletree and while it is adequate, it really is in need of renovations if it wants to keep its star rating.
Pros:
- right next to Fisherman's Wharf, so if you are going whale watching or anything like that, it's literally a 5-minute walk.
- not far from Cannery row, so this is also within walking distance, but may take 15 minutes, perhaps 20 to get to the Aquarium.
- sells 2-day tickets to the Aquarium - GET them here! You will avoid lines at the Aquarium.
- complimentary water, and if you're into this sort of thing, warm cookies at check-in.

Cons:
- Large, impersonal, feels like a conference hall (which it is) and is in sore need of renovation.
- decor is really dated
- no AC. Not a problem on cool nights. But it CAN get warm, so be forewarned. The ceiling fan does not do much to cool the place down.
- no Wi-Fi - which is kinda wierd for a business-oriented hotel. They have ethernet connections which cost $9.95 per 24-hrs, and if you don't have an ethernet cable, that could be another $5.
-Peter B's is loud and cheery and has tons of beer - if you want that. but if you want really good food, go somewhere else.

We stayed on the 5th floor, in a courtyard facing room, on a quiet weekend, so we had no noise issues. But I can see how if you are anywhere near Peter B's it could get loud. I also would not want to stay in a room near the ice machine.

So overall, this hotel was just OK. I was largely underwhelmed by it, but I was not dissatisfied either. I had come here for an anniversary weekend with my husband, and it was a poor choice because it was not romantic or luxurious in any way. We made up for it by being out and about most of the time, but I would not pick this place for a romantic getaway in the future. At best, it's a place to sleep at night, but not really one you would want to linger in for too long if romance is on your mind.

We got a package deal on their website for $149 a night for a King Deluxe, with free parking, but I know that room prices go for more than double that and parking is $20 a night. I would be far LESS generous in my review if I had paid anything more than I paid. As it is, I figure we got what we paid for.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wickedtravel
Reviewed 27 November 2007

Good location with excellent views over the bay/pier. Rooms have every extra you could want including water and cookies! The furnishings were very new and clean but possibly the rooms were a little small. Great pool...and very friendly staff. Beware the Sea Lions!! They are great fun to see at first but remember they continue to make that very loud barking noise all night long!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank KHA1
Reviewed 24 November 2007

We stayed there for just one night. Overall hotel isn't bad, especially if you don't have to pay full $200 rate. Room was big enough for 2 adults and two kids, with two double bads--a little outdated, but not bad at all.
My big complaint--"PeterB" pub/restaurant located right behind hotel. They advertise this place (hard to call it a restaurant) everywhere and most likely own it. My gosh, food was just horrible and service--simply absent at all!!! They sell overpriced food and drinks (hardly food at all) to unaware guests--great biz for them. Just for example, ice cream--$6--we got a small bowl, with maybe 1 scoop of ice cream and 3 (THREE) cookies planted inside to make it look big. Those cookies were distributed to hotel guests during check in time for free--I guess they had leftovers, so what a great way of using unused cookies. And martini--oh boy, don't even go there.
Anyway, you can stay at the hotel but avoid that horrible eatery at any price. I wouldn't eat there for free again.

• Stayed: November 2007