“Exceeding Expectations”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have had the opportunity to enjoy the accommodations at the Portola Hotel & spa, both from a business and recreational persepective. Each time, my expectations of the facillity and it's staff have been exceeded exponentially. My strongest recommendation for anyone in need of hotel accommodations in the area, for either business or personal reasons.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
PortolaHotelSpa, Manager at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about the Portola Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and recommendations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for your next business or personal trip!

The Portola Hotel & Spa Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,573)

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a weekend event. The room were spacious,clean and the bed was comfortable, and staff were very friendly and helpful. I had a balcony view of the beautiful Custom Adobe Plaza. We really enjoy the warm homemade chocolate chips cookies they offered. We had breafast at Jack's restaurant and the Omeletes is to dye for, not too bad the rounds of Mimosa. The staff at the restaurant were very attentive to our needs, excellent service. We enyoyed our stay and definitely we wil return for another weekend getaway.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Portola Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor. We were happy to hear you stayed with us for your weekend getaway in Monterey and you had an opportunity to enjoy brunch in Jacks Restaurant with bottomless mimosas. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I just stayed at this hotel for a week long conference and the meeting rooms were great, but the hotel rooms are even better! The reason I say that is the bed was so comfortable, I was actually able to sleep, which is usually not the case when I'm away from home. The mattress was perfect and the pillows were plentiful and soft! There was one unusual thing in the bathroom and that was there was no drawers in the vanity, but not that big of a deal. I like to work out so I enjoyed morning runs on the bike bath along the water that's just a minute from the back of the hotel. The only downside in my experience is that the gym is rather small and does not have much to offer for strength conditioning; dumbbells up to 50 pounds, one flat bench, and a small cable crossover machine. The upside to the latter piece of equipment was that it offered a few pull-up options. I think my family would have enjoyed it too since it was conveniently located and you could probably walk to the aquarium and cannery row. Finally, there was a pretty cool farmer's market across the street...I think it was on Tuesday evening?

Room Tip: Beware that there is no elevator if you are in a room in the 200 series, but it's only one fligh...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I ended up at Portola Hotel after finding out that the Hyatt Regency in Monterey defines "pet" as "dog only" but doesn't specify this on their website. I was traveling with a cat. I did explain to them that more people had cats as pets in the US than dogs...

To save myself more annoyance, I called Portola Hotel before making the reservation to ask specifics on the pet policy. They were surprised that I wanted to know if a cat qualified as a pet. Of course it did! Their attitude on the phone and with check in was wonderful.

The room was pleasant and everything one needed. The kitties and I enjoyed our stay and would definitely return again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BCM2934
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The Portola Hotel is a great get-a-way place for couples that want to get away from Cannery Row crowds and spend time browsing through the old town and concrete wharf area. They are right outside the hotel doors. My wife and I do not like crowds and really like this hotel because of the personal attention given us during our stay. We picked a room on the 7th floor because of the excellent views from that floor however rooms on the 6th floor provided excellent views as well on a previous visit. We found Jack's restaurant provided excellent service and environment. The hotel and restaurant staff were great!! As a desert in Jacks we tried a new "Apple Pie Martini" that is just great.

Room Tip: I would chose the 6th or 7th floors for the views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We booked two rooms. Upon check in one couple was put on the 3rd floor (actually ground floor) and the other couple was placed on the 4th floor. Both rooms were the same price but not worth the same at all!
The 3rd floor room was right beside the road, a smaller room and not a nice bathroom. The toilet didn't work at all. It was a long walk to the room as it was the farthest from the elevator and down a hall where apparently all guests had dogs as it sounded like a pound as you walked down the hall with all the dogs barking .
The 4th floor room was larger, nicer and had a balcony!
Needless to say we addressed our concerns with the front desk. Thankfully the hotel addressed our concerned and we were moved to a 4th floor room with our friends in a decent room with a working toilet.
The hotel was in a great location near the waterfront, restaurants and shopping.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I went here with my wife, daughter and 2 dogs in tow.. Did not know what to expect but I was blown away with the hospitality, location and the room.. It could not have been more perfect. I requested to transfer to the outer wing to be closer to parking and the front desk did not hesitate and provided it to me.
Only thing is parking is 17 dollars a day, and 50 bucks for my 2 critters to stay with us.

Room Tip: request your room on the outer side so you will be close to parking.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
PortolaHotelSpa, Manager at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you sharing your experience with your family and we were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming your entire family back including your two dogs very soon!