Our experience at Portola was good, but not nearly up to the 4-diamond standards inidcated on the plaques in the lobby.
The lobby is an atrium. Nice, but a little messy with leaves throughout.
Check-in was okay. We got to the hotel early (noon). They said our room was being cleaned, so we walked to Cannery Row for lunch. When we checked back at almost 3, the room still was not ready. That was disappointing. A few minutes more of waiting (and lots of calls by the guy at the front desk), and they said it was done.
The room itself was spacious and nicely decorated. It had a "balcony" overlooking the "courtyard," which turned out to be a patio with a flowerbox looking directly at a wall of the next buidling. The hotel is spread out across several buildings. All of the "balconies" that we could see, however, looked onto "courtyards" that were really cement walkways with a few dull flowerboxes. Since the room didn't have air conditioning and it was really hot in there, even though the temperature outside wasn't above 70, we sat outside on our balcony... looking at the wall. Not quite what I had in mind when I was thinking about a weekend trip to Monterey.
Also, we walked by the pool and it was small and overloaded with people and kids everywhere. We skipped that.
I had a Travelzoo coupon for a great rate. So for the price paid, it was good. If I go another weekend, I'll stay at one of the quaint hotels in Carmel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED Certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, three on-site restaurants including a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay