Given how much it cost to stay in this hotel expectations were high when we arrived. When you pay a lot you expect a lot. Fortunately the hotel did not disappoint and except for a few minor issues we had a good stay over 6 nights. This is a large hotel that is geared towards the convention market and so that obviously affects the atmosphere. We booked a top floor room so that we could get a view. We were glad we did otherwise I probably would not be writing such a positive review. Without the view it would have been ordinary. The view was great. The room and bathroom were a good size and had everything we needed and some nice extra touches. Bear in mind that the top floor, 7, is only actually the 5th floor as 1 is ground and for some reason there is no 2nd floor. The toilet broke on two days and the shower backed up so I had to make two trips to reception to ask for those to be fixed. I noted no apology or anything from the staff who did not seem particularly friendly, but the issues were fixed quickly (but its a shame they did not fix it properly the first time). I found the lack of free WiFi in the room annoying. I have stayed in 2 star hotels in third world countries that have fast and free WiFi. There is free WiFi in the lobby, but that is not really what one needs. We tried to log in and pay on line for in-room WiFi but the system did not work and we were unable to complete the transaction on two occasions. It all seemed very unnecessary and annoying when everything else is of a high standard. Overall I would be happy to recommend this hotel and would stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED(R)-EB certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, two on site eateries, a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay