We stayed here because it is a great central location to the oceanfront and also the city.
Unfortunately, there were a few things that tweaked me this time / There were also things that were especially good.
1st, the check-in was easy and we got welcome cookies which were hot and fresh and well liked after a long drive. The room itself is nice, good size, had a safe for the electronics, and was clean. There was however a spider the size of a nickel on the bathroom floor that was not what my wife expected while in there with the door closed. We did have a "welcome back" card in the room and some food in the frig so that was nice and not expected.
A couple other issues that knock it out of 4 stars - the walls are thin and we heard noise on both sides each night. My wife woke up at 6AM on Sunday with screaming kids and loud parents next door - this went on for 2 hours! I did not hear it or I would have banged on their door and called security. This made for a tired following day which made us both cranky. Not what I expected when I pay to get away and need some quiet RNR. Out check-out, 2 young gals checked me out. Arleen did not seem to care much about what I said. Taylor was even younger and she just said "kids will be kids". I said "No, it's the parents that need to control their kids and not act like entitled brats". I was not happy and there was no further discussion. We also heard a lot of noise in the halls while napping in the late afternoon after an early morning excursion.
On a more positive note, the friendliest and most knowledgeable employee we met was Chris, a younger male at the front desk. We said he was 3rd generation Monterey and was very nice, pleasant, friendly and knowledgeable. He helped us with the historic walking tour and gave us advise on what was best to stop and see on our schedule. He also gave us an extra cookie for the walk - very nice guy.
Most other employees need to go through a "Disney Happy School" - they were not negative or outwardly difficult but just seemed as though they were there because it was job to do. The other notable exception was the guy that was our waiter at breakfast (didn't get his name unfortunately). He was very friendly and kept our drinks full and was timely with our kitchen order of pancakes. Breakfast was the only meal we had at the hotel and the buffet food and service were both very good.
No hotel I stay at gets 5 stars since that would be a place like Four Seasons and I don't stay in those overpriced places. So the best rating is 4 stars for me and this place gets 3 stars for reasons detailed.
We stayed away from wharf for food and ate at local downtown restaurants which I would highly recommend (reviewed also).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED Certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, three on-site restaurants including a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay