“Location location location!”

Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
“Location location location!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband my our 3 little kids stayed at the Portola over memorial weekend. You can't beat this place for location. It's literally a 2 minute walk to Fishermans wharf and the bike path to cannery row and the aquarium. There is adventure bikes right on site for rentals which was very convenient. The hot tub was large and they also had a big pool, though it was only a little over 3 feet deep, but perfect for our 6 year old. The rooms were nice and big as was the bathroom, no microwave but they did have a keurig coffee maker and a small fridge. Beds were comfortable with nice big fluffy comforters. Staff was polite and helpful and there were plenty of places to eat nearby that were kid friendly. We did have to pay $17 a night to park in the parking garage but that's pretty common in Monterey. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Hsandman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Turkish first
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Positives
Good Location
Peter B's is a great family friendly pub
Something for the kids - The Portola Pirate Program
Negatives
At USD 259 a night (even by Monterrey standards) the hotel is very average
If you get a 1st Floor room facing the road, you will hear traffic all night
No Air Conditioning
They were busy on Memorial day weekend and it took 20 minutes to check in. We were asked to wait because the room was not ready (They did waive the parking fee for two days but still...)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
PortolaHotelSpa, Manager at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
GaryV33146,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Portola Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor. We were pleased to hear you had an opportunity to experience Peter B’s Brewpub and take part in the Portola Pirates Program for children. We are constantly striving to improve our Hotel to improve upon every guest experience and appreciate your feedback about your room location. We hope overall your time in Monterey was enjoyable and you visit the Monterey Peninsula again soon.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

The Portola Hotel & Spa Management Team
Stockton, CA
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My children and I tagged along on my husband's business trip. My son has a severe wheat allergy which makes traveling a bit of an adventure. Both Jack's and Peter B's have gluten free menus and accommodate food allergies! The chefs were more than happy to cook fresh bacon and slice new watermelon for my son. He was a happy camper. When eating at a buffet, you never know if there is cross contamination. I was extremely pleased with that aspect of our stay! Mary Jo (I think that's her name) at Jack's went the extra mile for us, excellent service! The rooms were okay, beds very comfortable and the refrigerator was a plus. The only complaint I had was that the toilets are very loud, but I guess that's the price we pay for eco-friendly toilets. There were several events and conferences being held, making parking a bit of an issue, but the valet service was excellent. Overall, we enjoyed out stay!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Arrived here after a short drive from SF, to be greeted by friendly staff who quickly had us in a great room, with plenty of space, comfort and style. Unfortunately we were only here for one night. After devouring our warm cookies we headed down to the wharf then on to Cannery lane and the Aquarium. All in all we had a great, but short stay in Monterey and I would highly recommend the Portal to any travelers passing through this neck of the woods.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mabs74
PortolaHotelSpa, Manager at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Mabs74,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Portola Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and wish you could have stayed with us longer to enjoy all the Monterey Peninsula has to offer!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Monterey soon!

Roseville, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Each time stay at the PP it's for work, and for a week at a time. I told Chris, at the front desk, my horrible plight of having to stay for a week at the PP. Lol! He understood and hooked me up with a room where, at the end of the day, I could grab a drink, sit on the balcony, kick my feet up, look at the beautiful views of Monterey Bay, and forget why I was really there. one the best rooms I've had there.

Thanks Chris!

Old S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the Portola Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor. We were happy to hear Chris at the Front Desk arranged your accommodation needs and you truly enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Portola Hotel & Spa soon!

Del Mar, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here because it is a great central location to the oceanfront and also the city.
Unfortunately, there were a few things that tweaked me this time / There were also things that were especially good.

1st, the check-in was easy and we got welcome cookies which were hot and fresh and well liked after a long drive. The room itself is nice, good size, had a safe for the electronics, and was clean. There was however a spider the size of a nickel on the bathroom floor that was not what my wife expected while in there with the door closed. We did have a "welcome back" card in the room and some food in the frig so that was nice and not expected.

A couple other issues that knock it out of 4 stars - the walls are thin and we heard noise on both sides each night. My wife woke up at 6AM on Sunday with screaming kids and loud parents next door - this went on for 2 hours! I did not hear it or I would have banged on their door and called security. This made for a tired following day which made us both cranky. Not what I expected when I pay to get away and need some quiet RNR. Out check-out, 2 young gals checked me out. Arleen did not seem to care much about what I said. Taylor was even younger and she just said "kids will be kids". I said "No, it's the parents that need to control their kids and not act like entitled brats". I was not happy and there was no further discussion. We also heard a lot of noise in the halls while napping in the late afternoon after an early morning excursion.

On a more positive note, the friendliest and most knowledgeable employee we met was Chris, a younger male at the front desk. We said he was 3rd generation Monterey and was very nice, pleasant, friendly and knowledgeable. He helped us with the historic walking tour and gave us advise on what was best to stop and see on our schedule. He also gave us an extra cookie for the walk - very nice guy.

Most other employees need to go through a "Disney Happy School" - they were not negative or outwardly difficult but just seemed as though they were there because it was job to do. The other notable exception was the guy that was our waiter at breakfast (didn't get his name unfortunately). He was very friendly and kept our drinks full and was timely with our kitchen order of pancakes. Breakfast was the only meal we had at the hotel and the buffet food and service were both very good.

No hotel I stay at gets 5 stars since that would be a place like Four Seasons and I don't stay in those overpriced places. So the best rating is 4 stars for me and this place gets 3 stars for reasons detailed.

We stayed away from wharf for food and ate at local downtown restaurants which I would highly recommend (reviewed also).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travelin M
Travelin M,

Thank you for returning to the Portola Hotel & Spa and taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We value you as a guest and we want you to know that we greatly appreciate your feedback about your experience with the staff. We always make it a point to share guest feedback with our team to improve future guest experiences and it is from postings like your review that contribute to training efforts and team development.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to the Portola Hotel & Spa!

San Diego CA
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have been visiting Monterey on business for many years now, and have always preferred the Portola for it's location and excellent service. This past visit, in early May, continued to illustrate the warmth and ambiance of the property. Literally teps from Monterey wharf and right in the middle of downtown, the location is superb. The attached microbrewery was excellent! We will definitely be back! Did want to call out one particular staff person, Chris, who helped us through a reservation knot hole and made everything right by us with a smile. Fix a problem, make a friend. The concierge was also very helpful.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room in the main property - while perhaps a little more busy, it's closer to th...