Hotel Abrego(Monterey)
Monterey Hotel(Monterey)
US$175
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$203/night.

Lone Oak Lodge(Monterey)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$174
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$195/night.

The Stevenson Monterey(Monterey)(Great Value!)
US$177
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$337
US$312
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$350/night.

Monterey Bay Lodge(Monterey)(Great Value!)
US$214
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$472/night.

2,711 results
All reviewsbrew pubjack's restaurantfisherman's wharfwarm cookiescannery rowchocolate chip cookiesceiling fanconvention centerbreakfast buffetself parkingwithin walking distanceper dayupon checkbeautiful hotelmonterey baywhale watchingsea lions
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 nights here.Huge hotel in good position.The parking issue - $17 a night is a bit much and charging for wifi in the room too. The rooms are large, clean, beds comfortable, and staff friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We celebrated our 25th Anniversary at The Portola; it was fabulous!!! We loved our very spacious, beautifully decorated room. Everything in the hotel was very clean and enjoyable. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. From the front desk to the restaurant, we were 100% pleased with the service. The location was perfect, and the cookies at the front desk were awesome, too! We would love to go back over, and over, and over again!

Room Tip: Breakfast gets an A++++
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Love this hotel! So close to the board walk and doing anything close to the water. Friendly staff, my room was super clean, and nice decor and very spacious feeling in the common area. It was nice to be able to take my laptop and hangout. :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kathompson322
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Ok, there is nothing wrong with this hotel. Our room was lovely, everything was clean and nice, and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. If these were the only criteria, I would give it a 4 or (if I could) 4 and 1/2 stars.

The reason I rate it only a 3 is because of extraneous things. My wife had a conference to attend at the hotel, and it does seem like a perfect spot for corporate events, with large ballrooms, and withing walking distance to many restaurants and tourist attractions in the heart of Monterey. However, we drove there from Arizona, and since the hotel is right downtown in Monterey, you are charged $17/day to park in the garage right next door. Not a problem for business travelers, I suspect, who just fly in and/or write it off as a business expense. But for a recreational traveler, it seems a bit of an annoyance, especially when I can park for free at most every other hotel I visit, even the mega-resort ones on the Las Vegas strip.

The next irritation is wi-fi access. Virtually everywhere I go and stay now has free wi-fi. The Portola wants $10/day to use their wi-fi. Really? Maybe other hotels just tack it on to the room price and let you think it's free, but that at least feels better than getting hit every day for an internet connection charge. Again, maybe no big deal for business travelers, but I found it irritating.

Lastly, and this seems to be the case with many places I stay nowadays, the TV has 50 or so channels of basic cable crap full of inane reality shows, news, sports, etc., not one of which I can find worth watching. I don't even have cable or TV at home, so it would be nice at a hotel to be able to watch a movie on HBO or Showtime, but are those premium channels ever available? Not very often, and not here. But, of course, you can always watch an "on-demand" movie for an additional charge.

So I realize this is all nitpicking. As I said, the room and the hotel are nice and there is nothing unacceptable about the physical aspects of the place. It just seemed to me that you are being nickel and dimed to death at every turn. Which doesn't sit well with me.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charlie W
PortolaHotelSpa, Manager at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Charlie W,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the Portola Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor. We value you as a guest and greatly appreciate your feedback about the internet and parking. We do our best to share your feedback with our team in order to approve upon each guest experience.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review, we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon!

Portola Hotel & Spa Management Team

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is fine, it's clean and well equipped with nice decor. It feels very corporate and would be better suited to a business stay than a holiday.

We paid extra for a harbour view but it's not worth it as the view is very average. It's fairly soulless, but the staff are all very nice.

The Jacks bar/pub has nice outdoor fire pits for evening drinks.

The area itself isn't somewhere I'd recommend though.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew G
PortolaHotelSpa, Manager at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Andrew G,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the Portola Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor. We were pleased to hear you had an opportunity to dine in Jacks Restaurant & Lounge for evening drinks while visiting the property. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and
we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

The Portola Hotel & Spa Management Team