“Nice place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Carlsbad CA
“Nice place”
Reviewed 27 August 2009

I had to go to Monterey for business and brought my 4 kids and wife with me this time. Pricelined a great deal at Portola Hotel and was pleased with the rooms and the location. My family could walk to the farmers market, skate park, cannery row and the warf. The service was good and the room was nice-sized. The only con ( if you could call it that) was that the seagulls were very loud and woke us up often because we kept the slider open. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Turkish first
Fresno, California, USA
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We stayed here for two nights in August 2009 and found it to be a very comfortable and pleasant hotel.
Okay, there were a few cons: the room did take a long time to get to. You had to walk down a long hallway. My husband, baby and I paid the $20 extra for a courtyard view and my brother and father had a street window. The street window was a little noisy. So keep that in mind if you book with them. Other than that, we had a good time.
We had no trouble with the valet. My husband stayed with the car while I walked into check in. And yes, we were given fresh cookies upon check in. The front desk staff was very nice. I paid for the self parking ($17 per night). By the time I had returned to the car, the valet was already out there with a cart to take our luggage. He was very patient while we unloaded (we had 3 groups traveling and a lot of stuff). The room was clean and nice. We wanted one king but got two queens but it wasn't a problem. Oh, we needed a crib and it was requested at check in. By the time we got to our room, it was already there. Good crib. Yes, there is no air conditioning, but I imagine August must be on of the hottest months and the weather was fine. We left our balcony door open with the fan on and we were more than comfortable.
The hotel was less than 3 minutes walking distance from the Old Fisherman's Wharf. Who wants to stay on the noisy, expensive Cannery Row when you can walk there or take the trolley for free!??
Overall, I felt that for the price, this hotel was more than comfortable and clean. It was fine for us and our 9 month old and my brother and his 2 teenage kids and the other groups that were with us.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Southern California
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Our room was above the brewery in the hotel, we had a balcony and until the drinking and smoking started below us we thought it was a nice room. Around 5 p.m. the customers downstairs started smoking and the smoke started to smell up our room and, since there is not air conditioning we couldn't close the sliding door to escape the fumes. They really need air in this hotel and they should inform you that they don't have it because it is unbearable in the room without the sliding door open. Because of allergies and knowing that the smoke had just begun with the start of dinner hour we called the front desk and asked if smoking was allowed in the restaurant, it was so they offered to move us. We thought it would be helpful but the staff is not very considerate and we ended up with a room without a balcony and with courtyard view which means it was warm and my kids could not hang outside. Problem. We called the desk again and were told they would move us in the morning. Ok, you would think they would move you to a comparable room but, I guess we were being punished. They didn't even lower the bill for the room not being as nice.

The staff wasn't at all helpful and really seemed to have the attitude that they didn't see a problem. The help at the front desk was snobby and, for what, I couldn't figure out, your hotel isn't that high end. I've stayed in much nicer places and the staff is much friendly. I think the attitude of the staff contributes greatly to the quality of the hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel, there's nothing to do for teens, the shops close around 6pm and because it is so big, it's impersonal, needless to say, the kids were bored.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Luxembourg
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We stayed at the Portola for two nights in August 2009. The hotel is rather big, unpersonal in a location that is so-so (I'd rather stay in Cannery Row, whereas this hotel is in old Monterey), business style, very unpolite staff and pricey.
When you arrive with you car in front of the hotel the valet tells you that if you don't go for the valet parking you can only unload your car and then you have to head to the parking just off the road, beware as you only have 10 minutes for that. As if they're saying: go park your car, don't bother us with your presence, you're just disturbing if you don't want our service. What a greeting!!!!! Then you check-in, the guy barely looks at your face, on some reviews I read they'd offer a piece of cake, but maybe that was a dream. They did not offer anything, not even help with the luggauge. We get to the room: as I said it's such a huge hotel that if you get the last room on the floor, it takes you 15 minutes to get there. The room was ok (we booked a king we got a two queens, but having seen the customer approach they had so far, we decided not even to complain). In the room there's no refrigerator, the bathroom is oldish, shower with a hateful curtain sticking onto you every time you take a shower. The establishment has a tiny overcrowded pool, which is accessible only if you exit the hotel, so forget about walking to the pool with youst your towel. The spa is nice, again outside of the hotel, just across the street, so no walking there with your bathrobe (actually, there's no bathrobe even, so not to worry..). The worse was that they did not service the room on the second day (even if we did not hang the Do not disturb sign, and we were out from 10 to 6pm and even if I complained about that at 6.30, 8.30 and 11pm). the room was not cleaned, the bathroom was not cleaned, no towels, no bed made, nothing. This is a basic service you pay for in a hotel, but we did not get it. I was not even told "sorry about that" from any of the staff. Just a small reduction on the room rate because I insisted. But maybe I'm expecting too much. This hotel is no worth going, look for something that really has the stars they claim to have.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank francesca9371
Los Banos
Reviewed 18 August 2009

All of our interactions with hotel staff were excellent, from the check-in staff to parking garage attendant. All staff made us feel welcome and comfortable from the beginning of our stay until the end. All transactions were painless, we arrived before the check-in time, and there was no problem securing a room even though we were early... that meant a lot to us...we were a little fatigued from such a long motorcycle ride and thought we would take a shot and checking in early...we could have not been more pleased and thankful for the accommodations. Our room was beautiful and large, and it was only a standard room! I was curious what the suites were like, since our room was so awesome....wow! We had friends visit us at our room, and they were equally impressed with the hotel...they will no doubt be future guests. The soaps and lotions were yummy (as was the fresh baked cookie when we checked in). I have already researched future dates for availability, and I will definitely make Portola Plaza our home away from home whenever we travel to Monterey.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
CA
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We are just getting ready for our fourth annual Labor Day weekend at this hotel, which we have come to love. The Greek festival happens that weekend every year; it's a real kick. The rooms are well appointed and we have found the service very nice each time.
One of the best things about his hotel is its location. You can easily walk to restaurants//sites on Fisherman's Wharf, Cannery Row or downtown Monterey. You don't really need a car, except to go to Carmel or the 17 Mile Drive.

I agree that the parking surcharge is unreasonably high. One of you should drop the other off with the luggage and then park the car in the public lot right nearby, to avoid paying the hotel parking fees (17/20$ per day). Shop around for the best prices. We found a $50/nt difference between the highest and lowest quotes.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
nyc
Reviewed 15 August 2009

the worst:

rabid seagulls, perched outside of your room 24 hours a day...they start screaming at 330 am and do not stop. the service is mediocre, had to switch rooms due the birds which the staf said wasn't their problem. the bathrooms look like my grandmothers house in 1972...the wireless internet: $450 FOR 10 HOURS...NO KIDDING. you can plug into the landline for a reasonable price, but hope you want to sit at a desk to do so. i will say that the spa was nice, but sadly you have to go back to your room after...which has no a/c. sorry guys (portola), you go it way wrong.

don't do it, there are much better options for you money

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business