“Fantastic Location and Rooms!!!!”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 March 2006

We just got back from a 10 day trip to CA. Two of those days were spent in Monterey and Carmel. WE stayed two nights at the Portola and couldn't have been more pleased. We were located toward the back of the hotel and had no noise at all. Our room had a balcony that really didn't look over anything but was nice to let in cool air at night along with a ceiling fan.
At check-in they gave my daughter a stuffed whale that normally costs $8.00 at the counter. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was also a whale in the bathtub to play with as your children bathe. My duaghter loved that!!!
The beds were VERY comfortable, so much so that we slept in late both days. The staff were great and the location to the wharf was excellent. We drove to the Cannery but that only took 3 minutes, you could walk it.
We also saw Meg Ryan checking out of this hotel and was told that she stays there frequently when she is in that area!!!!

5  Thank tarilyn
There are newer reviews for Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay

A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 4 March 2006

We live in San Jose and visit Monterey at least 4 times per year. We've stayed at several hotels over the last couple years but I think we've found our home. The Portola Plaza Hotel was great. Location is the best...right between Fisherman's Wharf and downtown Monterey...everything is walkable. Rooms are cute and big enough for a family of four. Cookies at check-in are warm and delicious. We rented bicycles at the hotel and took a ride on rec trail. The restaurant is not cheap but we had a great dinner and then had drinks by the fireplace on the patio. Service was very good. We'll definately be back. Check their website for good deals...we reserved the winter special.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Vacaville, California
Reviewed 13 February 2006

This hotel was an expierience for us with two young children. We wanted something close to the beach and the wharf. We thought the Portola is perfect, lets go all out and get pampered. Yeah right, other than the chocolate chip cookie...no pampering that didn't cost an arm and a leg. The room was nice, clean and good decor. But my complaints...no mini fridge but for $10a night you can rent one, a unstable not childproof at all TV sitting on the edge of the dresser and no games(but you can rent them)$45 for awful room service that we could have done better at the local hamburger joint for less than $20. No dvd or even vcr, thank God it had disney on the cable, a night club next to our rooms window that played techno music until 12:30am...after my complaint they set us up with another room AFTER check in time the next day. So we went about our day as planned and I asked if the room will be ready by 12pm for my sons nap time(he gets up at 5am, so the night club thing was really upsetting to us)the room was not available till 3pm, we sat in the lobby after a day at the beach with wet sandy tired and sun burnt kids,one in sand filled diaper and other in underwear with a towel around them while they fell asleep on our laps waiting forever for a room we had already paid for. No one offered us anything! Not a "here are some extra cookies for waiting" or desert on us or "here are some tickets for something or how about an upgrade or 10% savings or even FREE PARKING! For the love...make us feel like you cared. Who would allow a night club next to a $269 a night hotel room? For such a nice hotel they do not offer you anything unless you pay a shiny penny to get it.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 January 2006

Stayed here at Christmas and got the off-season rate. We walked into the Marriott first, which is down the block, and balked at their price. The receptionist at the Marriott said that this hotel, which used to be a Doubletree hotel, was $20 cheaper and the same quality. Warm chocolate chip cookies served upon check-in was a nice touch. Room was spacious, clean and quiet (we overlooked the courtyard). The parking fee was annoying considering how easy it is to park on the street in Monterey. Great location, right in old downtown Monterey.

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank MakeYouHumble!
Reviewed 8 January 2006

We stayed Christmas weekend at the Portola and paid the off-season rate. We loved the location and the hotel was excellent. Entering the open atrium lobby we received warm oatmeal chocolate cookies at check-in. Our 6th floor room was quiet, overlooking a japan-esque courtyard and was warmly decorated in spa fashion. Next morning, we left our car and walked along the coastal trail to the aquarium. We stopped to take pics of the seals along the way. The hotel is perfectly situated next to Fisherman's Wharf. Some drawbacks: parking fee, no a/c, and you must walk outside to access the pool/gym. We rented bikes next door and rode along the ocean trail to Pebble Beach. All-in-all a great place to stay!

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank U2HappyTravelers
Reviewed 4 January 2006

This hotel gave me food poisoning. What more can I say??? I arrived around 5 pm, had a massage at the spa, and settled into my room and ordered room service. I ordered "Buffalo Shrimp". It is still makes me feel extremely ill to write the word "shrimp" and I will never eat it again. I woke up around 2 am and was viciously ill all night. Because I was too ill to travel and America West couldn't get me home to DC before Friday anyway I called down to the front desk (way too ill to change hotels, and I was alone) to let them know that I needed to stay until Friday and that it was because of food poisoning from their room service. The front desk person promised to have a restaraunt mananger call me and asked me to come down before 3pm to have my card keys reswiped. No one called. When I dragged myself to the front desk to have the keys swiped at 3pm, I told the front desk person no one had called. She promised that head of security would call me right away. Well he did, and asked me a series of perfunctory questions and that was it. He didn't even ask if they could do anything for me!! They ruined my vacation. And they did absolutely nothing to see to my comfort after I let them know how ill they had made me. Aside from the security man who called to take the incident report, no one called to check on me or apologize. Nothing. I have called the Montery Health Department and let them know about it, but that won't get my (desperately needed) vacation back.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank fand
Reviewed 25 December 2005

Stayed here after America West abandoned me in Monterey. A blown business trip. What to do? Drove around Monterey, saw the Aquarium, had some seafood, purchased some chocolates, looked for lodging.

Portola Plaza is a good place to land. Older hotel but immaculately maintained. Staff pleasant & professional. Wakeup call on time. Hallways of hotel reminded me of "The Shining" for some reason. Room with king bed very comfortable. Looked out on drab courtyard. Kept shades down instead. Fitness center was above average for hotels. Highly recommend professional massage in the spa / fitness center by "Ottie." Book this the day before. Two restaurants in hotel: Pub food at the pub was bland, basic. Pub microbrew also bland. Raspberry Wheat was stinkin' heavy on the raspberries. Phew! Main restaurant in the hotel lobby looked upscale, looked very nice, but didn't eat there. Many nice restaurants on the streets surrounding the hotel.

Paid $ 119.00 for king NS. No advance res. BTW, ask for the "advance special rate" if you're a walk-in. That will trump the rack rate of $ 40.00 higher. I was here in mid-December 2005. The parking lot hit for $ 14.00 per night self-park, or pay more for valet, was a scam of sorts. You could just park your vehicle in the adjacent city parking garage yourself without paying that fee, I thought. Monterey was nicely devoid of the madding crowds this time of year. During summer, this place is tourist madness.

4  Thank fawlcon