“Glad I got a discount”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 April 2010

This was my first trip to Monterey. I initially was going to stay at the Monterey Plaza but then Travel Zoo had a great deal on this " 4 star" hotel. I am definately glad I got the discount becuase I would have been upset if I would have pain full price. Pros: the hotel was in a great location, just a short walk from Fisherman's Wharf, there were very nice galleries accessible from the hotel lobby. Cons: Upon pulling in it took a bit for the valet to even acknowledge us, there is some sort of construction going on in the lobby and the lobby is full of flies, one fly was in our room, we had to have the shower curtain changes because it was filthy, cookies upon arrival? well we had to ask for that, aquarium tickets? well when we asked for those the lady at the front desk said no then she said she would look and she found some (now why couldn't she just have looked in the first place). I travel a lot and this hotel certainly did not meet my expectations and I would have been quite upset if I would have paid full price.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 March 2010

First off, absolutely loved Monterrey, and that impression was enhanced by the Portola Hotel. Large impressive lobby and friendly staff, lead to a large room with very comfortable beds and balcony to enjoy the warm weather.

The hotel is 5 minutes from Fishermans Wharf and 15 mins walk from Cannery Rowe (and its a nice walk along the bay taking in the views and the local sealions) The hotel has a few bars and restauranys and the only one we tried was Peter B`s brewpub. It was lively and the staff were great, offering us free tasters of the local beers (so we could go back home and tell our friends what a `kick-a**` place this was.

Only real drawback was the steep $17 dollar a night parking fee. The first time on our whole California Road trip we`d been required to pay.

Combine thes pro`s with the very good rate from Expedia and its a winner all round.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I went here for the Winter Simulation Conference. It was wonderful. I loved the location of the hotel. I was able to walk to great restaurants and to the famous aquarium. The hotel is very close to nice and safe walking trails along the waterfront. The waterfront offered some very nice seafood options.

The fitness center got the job done.

We didn't experience any issues with any of the conference sessions/rooms.

I arrived before Christmas and the lobby was BEAUTIFULLY decorated. The rooms were nicely decorated.

Don't eat at the hotel's restaurant. I had the portabella mushroom garden burger and it was terrible. Good thing the company was paying!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2010

This hotel is a wonderful location. You can literally fall out the back door, walk through a courtyard area, and you are the wharf. There are tons of restaurants and shopping. If you make three laps you can basically fill up on the samples of clam chowder! The hotel itself has beautifully appointed rooms. If I had to find a downside, if you get a room in a bad location it can be quite a walk from the front desk. All in all a really wonderful place to stay in Monterey Bay.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Everything about this hotel is excellent. Went for business, but plan to return with the family.....

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Nice hotel, location and rooms but noisy. I could hear the person in next rrom cough and hear them turn the faucet on or the toilet flush. I booked on hotwire and got a good price but I would not stay there again if it were my choice

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Check-in was a breeze. Room was clean and welcoming. Enjoyed the accessiblility of the fitness center.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
PortolaHotelSpa, Internet & Social Marketing Coordinator at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2010

Portola Hotel & Spa is happy that you experienced a quick and "breezy" check in as well as enjoyed the fitness center. Thank you for taking the time to write this response and we look forward to any future stay with us.