There's so much to say about this hotel its hard to know where to begin.
Service: The excellent service started when we pulled up to the front door and were greeted by the valet staff. They were pleasant and extremely helpful. The great service continued with the front desk staff, bell staff, the bartenders at Jack's Lounge/Peter J's, and the wait staff. At every turn we encountered courteous and helpful staff.
Room: The room was spacious and clean. It was simplistic in design and included a large flat screen tv, refrigerator and safe. The bathroom was maybe a little dated but it was large and clean and stocked with organic/green products. The toilet was a little loud and the shower had no pressure but these were not big issues for us. I slept nearest the restroom and my husband's late night trips did not wake me up:) We had a Portola King room that faced the courtyard.
Restaurants: We enjoyed a meal and drinks at Peter J's. The food was excellent and the drinks were good as well. The thing that sticks out about our time there was the service. The waitress was very hospitable; the bartender was accommodating and went the extra mile to make sure we enjoyed our drinks. The bartender at Jack's Lounge was extremely friendly and definitely knew what he was doing. The atmosphere was very relaxing and inviting at both places.
Location: The location of this hotel was excellent. It is steps from the wharf and downtown. This provides a variety of restaurants, bars and shops in which to indulge. I preferred this location to Cannery Row which is walking distance from the Portola. You can park your vehicle and have a wonderful time from this central location.
Hotel: The hotel itself is warm and inviting. I loved the open atrium feel of the lobby. The plaza provides shopping and is the location of activities such as festivals. One of which was happening during our stay. Parking was kind of expensive but hotels that are located at the center of activities usually have some type of parking fee associated with them so this wasn't a problem for us. We used valet during our stay.
The only negative during our stay was that we booked a discount package through a travel site. We received the rate when we checked in but was not given a coupon card that was included. Being as this was our first time staying here and using this discount site, I was not aware of the coupon card. When we received our final invoice, I noticed that a room service meal that was charged to the room did not include a 25% discount. I called the front desk and the same person that checked us in told me that I should have printed a coupon out from the site. When I explained that there was not a printable coupon on the site she simply repeated that there should have been. I let this go as we were simply happy and relaxed and thoroughly rested from out time here. However, when I dropped our room keys off at the front desk, I mentioned the discount to the gentleman behind the desk and he showed me the coupon card I should have been given at check in. He then adjusted our final bill to include the discount for our room service meal. The bummer is that we could have applied this discount to our meal at Peter J's and drinks at Jack's Lounge if we had the card.
Again, this in no way shape or form detracted from my opinion of this hotel. Overall, our stay was extremely enjoyable and we will definitely stay at the Portola again. Oh yeah, the warm cookies at check-in were awesome!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED Certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, three on-site restaurants including a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Agoda, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay