“EXCELLENT - wonderful hotel and remarkable staff”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #17 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Salinas, California
“EXCELLENT - wonderful hotel and remarkable staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

I organized a convention at the Portola Hotel in Monterey. The staff was absolutely amazing. The location could not be better...steps from the beach and the wharf, with plenty of dining options nearby. If you are organizing a convention or business event, I have to give the Portola team my highest recommendations. You'll be happy you worked with them!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Turkish first
Antioch, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

There's so much to say about this hotel its hard to know where to begin.

Service: The excellent service started when we pulled up to the front door and were greeted by the valet staff. They were pleasant and extremely helpful. The great service continued with the front desk staff, bell staff, the bartenders at Jack's Lounge/Peter J's, and the wait staff. At every turn we encountered courteous and helpful staff.

Room: The room was spacious and clean. It was simplistic in design and included a large flat screen tv, refrigerator and safe. The bathroom was maybe a little dated but it was large and clean and stocked with organic/green products. The toilet was a little loud and the shower had no pressure but these were not big issues for us. I slept nearest the restroom and my husband's late night trips did not wake me up:) We had a Portola King room that faced the courtyard.

Restaurants: We enjoyed a meal and drinks at Peter J's. The food was excellent and the drinks were good as well. The thing that sticks out about our time there was the service. The waitress was very hospitable; the bartender was accommodating and went the extra mile to make sure we enjoyed our drinks. The bartender at Jack's Lounge was extremely friendly and definitely knew what he was doing. The atmosphere was very relaxing and inviting at both places.

Location: The location of this hotel was excellent. It is steps from the wharf and downtown. This provides a variety of restaurants, bars and shops in which to indulge. I preferred this location to Cannery Row which is walking distance from the Portola. You can park your vehicle and have a wonderful time from this central location.

Hotel: The hotel itself is warm and inviting. I loved the open atrium feel of the lobby. The plaza provides shopping and is the location of activities such as festivals. One of which was happening during our stay. Parking was kind of expensive but hotels that are located at the center of activities usually have some type of parking fee associated with them so this wasn't a problem for us. We used valet during our stay.

The only negative during our stay was that we booked a discount package through a travel site. We received the rate when we checked in but was not given a coupon card that was included. Being as this was our first time staying here and using this discount site, I was not aware of the coupon card. When we received our final invoice, I noticed that a room service meal that was charged to the room did not include a 25% discount. I called the front desk and the same person that checked us in told me that I should have printed a coupon out from the site. When I explained that there was not a printable coupon on the site she simply repeated that there should have been. I let this go as we were simply happy and relaxed and thoroughly rested from out time here. However, when I dropped our room keys off at the front desk, I mentioned the discount to the gentleman behind the desk and he showed me the coupon card I should have been given at check in. He then adjusted our final bill to include the discount for our room service meal. The bummer is that we could have applied this discount to our meal at Peter J's and drinks at Jack's Lounge if we had the card.

Again, this in no way shape or form detracted from my opinion of this hotel. Overall, our stay was extremely enjoyable and we will definitely stay at the Portola again. Oh yeah, the warm cookies at check-in were awesome!!

1 Thank ebwhyte
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

This was a very comfortable hotel with pleasant staff, nice rooms and a nice location away from the touristy cannery row. It appears to be good for business gatherings with it's conference rooms, but we were there on a labor day weekend and it was pretty quiet, so probably a good choice for nonbusiness travelers on weekends and holidays. The room was very comfortable with a nautical design and a spacious bathroom. My daughter and i both commented on how comfortable the beds were. We also liked that we were not caught up in the touristy area and could walk to some non-touristy restaurants and shops. Also to be noted... the gym is very nice.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

When we arrived we had our beautiful Executive Suite all set up and 2 warm chocolate cookies! The staff was very helpful and nice! Very close to food and activities like whale watching and boche ball. Views were amazing.

1 Thank ASYNEGAL
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights during the MotoGP at Laguna Seca. The hotel is large, spacious and has good amenities. Rooms are also reasonably large with good amenities and one of the comfiest beds I've ever slept in - definately one of my best ever nights sleep! However, all this comes at a cost. The hotel is expensive to stay at (or this may have been due to a major event being on), and food and drink is also at the upper end of the price scale - as is the daily parking charge which seemed a bit on the high side. However, it is a very nice hotel, with good restaurant, bar with brewery and lounge and it's location next to Fishermans Wharf is perfect - although it's a bit of a walk to Cannery Wharf. The hotel also has a good pet policy, so perfect if you want to take your pet on holiday too! I would return to this hotel, but only if I could get a deal to make the room rate more affordable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

The hotel is located in Monterey Downtown, very close to the marina and fisherman's wharf. Public areas, lobby, etc, are great. Rooms are clean and big

Toluca Lake, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

So while on a recent road trip with my better half, we planned on staying one night in Monterey. Based on reviews I found here, I elected to stay at Portola.

We were really happy with our choice right away. The hotel is located right in the thick of things, with a couple of small downtown streets with retaurants and bars just outside the front door of the hotel, and the Warf and a couple of historic sites outside the rear door. The hotel itself was really beautiful, with a clean and well appointed lobby and a great lobby bar.

The staff interations I had were all positive. The valet and bellman was very quick and efficient, and was very friendly. He was nice enough to point out that valet was only $2.00 more than self parking, making it a no-brainer. The staff at the front desk was great. In fact, directly next to where I was checking in, there was a guest checking in who has a really nasty attitude and was very rude to the front desk staff. The hotel staff member remained completely professional and friendly, and really impressed me.

The room was really nice. The beds were fantastic, the furnishings were all great, and the room was very clean. The bathrooms could use a serious update, but the bathroom was certainly sufficient.

Overall, we had a great experience at this hotel, and would happily return!