“Fantastic” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Cameron Park.Calfornia
“Fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

we stayed for two days at this location, perfect wouldn't stay anywhere else. The location is perfect, downtown monterey right outside the front of the hotel and the Wharf right out the back. We didn't dine at any of the restaurant's at the hotel...Why there is just too much more to offer out and around Monterey! we did have some cocktails at the bar...great service. Spa was to die for, had the great relaxing time.."Sweatheart Package", I am a huge spa fan and was really happy with the ambiance. Room was very nice we had a garden view with a balacony it was perfect, it was clean and the bed was so comfy. Wharf was a expierence so many different places to eat..at one point felt like I was in Mexico looking at a timeshare...everyone wanted your business. Second night we walked to Cannery Row, less then a mile walk...had dinner at the "Fish Hopper" Oh my goodness what a great place...window view, make reservations! I would stay again and again at this hotel no doubt about it.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Turkish first
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

2nd August in a row we spent 2 nights at the Portola. Comfortable and clean accomodations, superb/comfortable bed, friendly and helpful staff. Recommend highly and will definitely return and make it three in a row!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Salinas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

I organized a convention at the Portola Hotel in Monterey. The staff was absolutely amazing. The location could not be better...steps from the beach and the wharf, with plenty of dining options nearby. If you are organizing a convention or business event, I have to give the Portola team my highest recommendations. You'll be happy you worked with them!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Antioch, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

There's so much to say about this hotel its hard to know where to begin.

Service: The excellent service started when we pulled up to the front door and were greeted by the valet staff. They were pleasant and extremely helpful. The great service continued with the front desk staff, bell staff, the bartenders at Jack's Lounge/Peter J's, and the wait staff. At every turn we encountered courteous and helpful staff.

Room: The room was spacious and clean. It was simplistic in design and included a large flat screen tv, refrigerator and safe. The bathroom was maybe a little dated but it was large and clean and stocked with organic/green products. The toilet was a little loud and the shower had no pressure but these were not big issues for us. I slept nearest the restroom and my husband's late night trips did not wake me up:) We had a Portola King room that faced the courtyard.

Restaurants: We enjoyed a meal and drinks at Peter J's. The food was excellent and the drinks were good as well. The thing that sticks out about our time there was the service. The waitress was very hospitable; the bartender was accommodating and went the extra mile to make sure we enjoyed our drinks. The bartender at Jack's Lounge was extremely friendly and definitely knew what he was doing. The atmosphere was very relaxing and inviting at both places.

Location: The location of this hotel was excellent. It is steps from the wharf and downtown. This provides a variety of restaurants, bars and shops in which to indulge. I preferred this location to Cannery Row which is walking distance from the Portola. You can park your vehicle and have a wonderful time from this central location.

Hotel: The hotel itself is warm and inviting. I loved the open atrium feel of the lobby. The plaza provides shopping and is the location of activities such as festivals. One of which was happening during our stay. Parking was kind of expensive but hotels that are located at the center of activities usually have some type of parking fee associated with them so this wasn't a problem for us. We used valet during our stay.

The only negative during our stay was that we booked a discount package through a travel site. We received the rate when we checked in but was not given a coupon card that was included. Being as this was our first time staying here and using this discount site, I was not aware of the coupon card. When we received our final invoice, I noticed that a room service meal that was charged to the room did not include a 25% discount. I called the front desk and the same person that checked us in told me that I should have printed a coupon out from the site. When I explained that there was not a printable coupon on the site she simply repeated that there should have been. I let this go as we were simply happy and relaxed and thoroughly rested from out time here. However, when I dropped our room keys off at the front desk, I mentioned the discount to the gentleman behind the desk and he showed me the coupon card I should have been given at check in. He then adjusted our final bill to include the discount for our room service meal. The bummer is that we could have applied this discount to our meal at Peter J's and drinks at Jack's Lounge if we had the card.

Again, this in no way shape or form detracted from my opinion of this hotel. Overall, our stay was extremely enjoyable and we will definitely stay at the Portola again. Oh yeah, the warm cookies at check-in were awesome!!

1 Thank ebwhyte
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

This was a very comfortable hotel with pleasant staff, nice rooms and a nice location away from the touristy cannery row. It appears to be good for business gatherings with it's conference rooms, but we were there on a labor day weekend and it was pretty quiet, so probably a good choice for nonbusiness travelers on weekends and holidays. The room was very comfortable with a nautical design and a spacious bathroom. My daughter and i both commented on how comfortable the beds were. We also liked that we were not caught up in the touristy area and could walk to some non-touristy restaurants and shops. Also to be noted... the gym is very nice.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

When we arrived we had our beautiful Executive Suite all set up and 2 warm chocolate cookies! The staff was very helpful and nice! Very close to food and activities like whale watching and boche ball. Views were amazing.

1 Thank ASYNEGAL
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights during the MotoGP at Laguna Seca. The hotel is large, spacious and has good amenities. Rooms are also reasonably large with good amenities and one of the comfiest beds I've ever slept in - definately one of my best ever nights sleep! However, all this comes at a cost. The hotel is expensive to stay at (or this may have been due to a major event being on), and food and drink is also at the upper end of the price scale - as is the daily parking charge which seemed a bit on the high side. However, it is a very nice hotel, with good restaurant, bar with brewery and lounge and it's location next to Fishermans Wharf is perfect - although it's a bit of a walk to Cannery Wharf. The hotel also has a good pet policy, so perfect if you want to take your pet on holiday too! I would return to this hotel, but only if I could get a deal to make the room rate more affordable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple