“Amazing stay at the Portola”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #17 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington State
“Amazing stay at the Portola”
Reviewed 20 September 2010

First let me say this was a winning bid on Priceline that gained me an incredible room for an amazing price. Not once did the staff there short me in any way or even mention I had done the prepay Priceline bid thing. I was treated like royalty. I did opt for the 20.00 a night valet parking as I had so much luggage and I was incredibly weary from a very long drive across California. There isn't much parking that I could see close by, and the only other option is 17.00 self park.

The luxury of this hotel gives it many thumbs up in my view. The linens, pillows, the decor, the mattress!, the lovely large flat screen LCD tv, the amenities in the large gorgeous bathroom, the cleanliness and lushness of this stay overwhelmed me. I loved it here, I will be back and highly recommend the location as it is right within walking distance of just about everything you'd want to see in Monterey. (Cannery Row, the Aquarium, Fisherman's Wharf, the beach and that lovely Coastal Recreation Path were all right there)

I was given a room with a slice of harbor view, and a view over the courtyard, with a balcony, it was lovely with louvered shutters you could open to the sun and the sliding doors could also be opened to the fresh sea air. There is also a ceiling fan you can use. I was captivated from the start with the staff from check in to check out. I did not use their internet as there was a charge, I do feel they need to change that policy. What hotel doesn't offer free internet anymore?

I did not enjoy the in house brewery, Peter B's, happy hour as I thought I would, though their 3.00 margaritas are to die for, and their own micro brews were very very good. However, don't get the clams, even if they say they are "always fresh" when asked. Nope, tough, fishy, and the broth was so salty I couldn't dip the greasy grilled bread into it (I think they used the grill brush and grill oil on the bread as "butter") not good, but the server was really great, and I overtipped her as it wasn't her fault the food was not great.

Again, Priceline's definition of 4 stars is just that for this hotel. Fantastic stay and I will return for a much longer stay next time.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Turkish first
CA
Reviewed 20 September 2010

A beautiful hotel close to fisherman's wharf and more importantly, downtown. We loved the location and the atmosphere of the hotel. The room was clean and comfortable with a cute and spacious courtyard patio. It was great to have so many dining options in the hotel. Everyone was very helpful. We will definitely stay here again.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Stayed for 2 nights here on route back to San Fran. Hotel is close to alot of sites around Monterey and the Big Sur.
Check-in was stress free and the lady who served us was very nice and pleasant, on our way to our room, got our hot cookies, stayed in a Portola King overlooking the square in the State Park. Spacious room and bathroom, really comfortable.
Car parking $17 a day and you can come and go as you please, good value.
Ate in the in-house brewery one night, great fish and chips and some local brews. Good way to spend a few hours.
Behind the hotel into the town there are plenty of restaurants, so you will never be short of a place to eat. The hotel is in 2 parts, one by the car park and the main section. Our room was down from reception, up a small flight of stairs. All was good.
It is in walking distance to Cannery Row, but if you dont want to walk, a free trolley service is a stones throw close to the Wharf. Hotel is in a great location.
Recommended hotel to my cousin, he is just back from Portola and loved it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 September 2010

We booked the hotel for our wedding anniversary and was expecting a three star facility where we can relax and be at peace. They have accessorized it compromising the utility factor. We would have rather had tooth paste instead of crown ceilings.

Though the main hotel is nice, we were pushed off to the side building which was not as good as we thought it would be. It was a tiny room and with two beds eventhough we had requested for a single King bed. Definitely not worth it for the price we paid. On top of that, you need to pay 17$ for parking and for us that was a first. We have never paid for parking as a hotel guest. And there was no free internet, which basically sucks especially when you are travelling for more than two days. Even in the hotel lobby, wifi was charged-thats ridiculous.Plus, the location is not exactly close to the waters. I suppose being in downtown runs the prices high.
On a good note, the house keeping staff was good and prompt always.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
PortolaHotelSpa, Manager at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 15 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience during your recent stay at the Portola Hotel & Spa. We are sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with having to pay for the parking and internet. It’s an industry standard and we regularly research to make sure we are on par with our competitors. We have put a lot of capital into maintaining a high standard for internet access for all of our guests.

We value you as a guest and we want you to know that we greatly appreciate your feedback. Although we cannot change this, we do hope you will return to the Portola Hotel & Spa. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our housekeeping staff and thought they were very prompt and good. Once again, we really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

The Portola Management Team
Cameron Park.Calfornia
Reviewed 13 September 2010

we stayed for two days at this location, perfect wouldn't stay anywhere else. The location is perfect, downtown monterey right outside the front of the hotel and the Wharf right out the back. We didn't dine at any of the restaurant's at the hotel...Why there is just too much more to offer out and around Monterey! we did have some cocktails at the bar...great service. Spa was to die for, had the great relaxing time.."Sweatheart Package", I am a huge spa fan and was really happy with the ambiance. Room was very nice we had a garden view with a balacony it was perfect, it was clean and the bed was so comfy. Wharf was a expierence so many different places to eat..at one point felt like I was in Mexico looking at a timeshare...everyone wanted your business. Second night we walked to Cannery Row, less then a mile walk...had dinner at the "Fish Hopper" Oh my goodness what a great place...window view, make reservations! I would stay again and again at this hotel no doubt about it.

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 September 2010

2nd August in a row we spent 2 nights at the Portola. Comfortable and clean accomodations, superb/comfortable bed, friendly and helpful staff. Recommend highly and will definitely return and make it three in a row!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Salinas, California
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I organized a convention at the Portola Hotel in Monterey. The staff was absolutely amazing. The location could not be better...steps from the beach and the wharf, with plenty of dining options nearby. If you are organizing a convention or business event, I have to give the Portola team my highest recommendations. You'll be happy you worked with them!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business