First let me say this was a winning bid on Priceline that gained me an incredible room for an amazing price. Not once did the staff there short me in any way or even mention I had done the prepay Priceline bid thing. I was treated like royalty. I did opt for the 20.00 a night valet parking as I had so much luggage and I was incredibly weary from a very long drive across California. There isn't much parking that I could see close by, and the only other option is 17.00 self park.
The luxury of this hotel gives it many thumbs up in my view. The linens, pillows, the decor, the mattress!, the lovely large flat screen LCD tv, the amenities in the large gorgeous bathroom, the cleanliness and lushness of this stay overwhelmed me. I loved it here, I will be back and highly recommend the location as it is right within walking distance of just about everything you'd want to see in Monterey. (Cannery Row, the Aquarium, Fisherman's Wharf, the beach and that lovely Coastal Recreation Path were all right there)
I was given a room with a slice of harbor view, and a view over the courtyard, with a balcony, it was lovely with louvered shutters you could open to the sun and the sliding doors could also be opened to the fresh sea air. There is also a ceiling fan you can use. I was captivated from the start with the staff from check in to check out. I did not use their internet as there was a charge, I do feel they need to change that policy. What hotel doesn't offer free internet anymore?
I did not enjoy the in house brewery, Peter B's, happy hour as I thought I would, though their 3.00 margaritas are to die for, and their own micro brews were very very good. However, don't get the clams, even if they say they are "always fresh" when asked. Nope, tough, fishy, and the broth was so salty I couldn't dip the greasy grilled bread into it (I think they used the grill brush and grill oil on the bread as "butter") not good, but the server was really great, and I overtipped her as it wasn't her fault the food was not great.
Again, Priceline's definition of 4 stars is just that for this hotel. Fantastic stay and I will return for a much longer stay next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED Certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, three on-site restaurants including a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay