I was a bit jittery about arriving at our hotel after reading some of these reviews. I booked our room at a great deal on Portola's "Summer Delight" internet special (my husband, my two kids and I all went) and THEN read the reviews. Well, from the moment we arrived, my jitters disappeared. I called from Big Sur to let them know we'd be late, and they told us no problem. We arrived and checked in without any hassle and received a nice room in the main building (508). We also got those nice, warm, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. The room was bright and cheery (a buttercup yellow) with two double beds. Granted, two queen-sized beds would have been slightly more spacious for sleep, but we had no problems. Our room was serviced early in the day which was great, especially as we stayed 3 nights. I've been at hotels where I've tried to come back for a mid-afternoon nap--and with kids this is essential--and my room wasn't ready. But here, the room was clean and ready to go by the kids' naptime. For those parents who might be concerned about the TV resting on the dresser, it appears to be bolted down on a swivel and I had no concerns about my rambunctious 3-year old. I also had no concerns about the balcony we had. I was going to request a room with no balcony because we have a young one, but decided against it. I was happy I didn't because the sliding door had a chain lock so we could have the door open and not be fearful that she'd run out.
My only concern was that the hotel parking lot ($15/day) was also a public lot, so when we arrived after a long day on our second day the lot was full. We decided to go get dinner and returned back an hour later and were able to find a spot without a problem. It didn't help that we came into town during the time of the Classic Auto auction / race thing and they closed off the streets making it somewhat hard to get back into the hotel. There were also many, many covered ferraris parked in the garage, but I will reserve judgment and say that they belonged to hotel guests.
In all, I really liked the Portola. It was quiet (we had a courtyard room, better than anticipated), we got to hear seagulls in the morning, our room was clean and cheerful, the maid service was excellent, and the people at the desk were all very nice. I do recommend the hotel and will gladly stay there again should we travel to Monterey. One more thing: I had almost booked at the Hyatt Regency and am glad I didn't because it was too far off the beaten path. I liked our central location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED Certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, three on-site restaurants including a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, Expedia, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay