“Great atmosphere!”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Hawaiian
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Quick seating, fast, friendly service. Fun music playing while digging in to massive plates of food. Jerk chicken was awesome, as well as the chicken tacos, pork platter and bbq ribs. Loved this place! Wish we had room for dessert....maybe next time!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed 4 August 2012

This place is constantly busy, mostly the younger crowd. We have been coming here for over 10-15 years and I still say the overall quality has gone down. The portions are smaller. They are less flexible on making changes to dishes. Servers were confused, they are not long term so there is no buy in on keeping the restaurant tops.

On our recent visit we were seated without having to wait. A first for a Friday night.

The waiter was prompt and we ordered a beer and the must have Mai Tai along with spicy edamame. The drinks came, it's always a little slow from the bar. The waiter had to check twice on our edamame. They were spicy and still great.

After we ordered our apps and drinks another waiter came by to take our drink order. We told her someone had come by and done that. She looked confused but hey, that is not my problem.

I ordered the jerk Mahi and my wife had the Ono wasabi.

My Mahi comes with rice and plantains. I hate plantains. I asked the waiter to sub a couple of Johnnie Cakes as the side price was the same for either of them ($4). They have done this before. The waiter said he would check, but didn't see a problem. He came back later and said that the cakes and plantains didn't price out the same so they wouldn't substitute. He said I could order a side of Johnnie Cakes and I said ok. Keep in mind that if you ordered sides of each they are the same price.

They brought the JC first and when my order came, WOOOOO, there were JC's instead of plantains. Talk about someone being confused. I showed the waiter and he said he would take the side of JC's off the bill, DUHHHH.

The portion size was on the small side but the flavors were great.

My wife's Ono was good but she thought that the price was too high compared to what you got. Keep in mind, that we have been coming for years and know the quality, portions etc have changed. Yes things change but not always for the better.

If you've never been here before you will love this place. A lot of energy etc. If you have been coming here for years, you leave longing for the good old days, when the quality was better, you knew your servers and they treated you like you were special.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

Whenever I have out of town visitors and we're looking for a fun place to eat, Hula's is my choice. The service is very friendly, if a little slow at times, and the food is good. My personal faves are the sweet potato fries with a KILLER sauce, as well as the fried plantains. Good seafood and interesting combinations along with funky Hawaiian decor make this a fun time all around. Oh, and the Pink Bikini Martini??? Don't get me started!!!

Reviewed 31 July 2012

A local place, very busy but fast seating and this was Moto GP week so a busy tourist time. Food was great with huge portions.all kinds of people. I loved the spicy Serrano chile edamame, the pupus were yummy and my husband had a bowl that was so big he could not finish it...and they had wailua wheat beer..yay for a Hawaiian place with Hawaiian beer. Inexpensive, tons of food, busy, fun crowd. Recommend it, don't think you will be all alone and cosy romantic tho....this place is for the fun times!

Reviewed 31 July 2012

If you want fun atmosphere in a quiet town like Monterey, this place is pretty darn good. While the food was just okay fare- it was still tasty. Great assortment of drinks and the waitstaff was really attentive. Parking was ample and easily accessible. We loved the fun tiki Polynesian atmosphere as the place was decorated to the hilt. If you're a souvenir hunter and want something to take home as part of your spoils, this place has even got its own unique tiki mugs for their drinks as well as a great variety of really cool shirts. Fun place for couples and small groups. Any larger and the place would just be too packed as the night we went it was filled. Good fun times though!