“Great seafood menu”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The best seafood menu I've seen on the California coast. Very good place for families with little kids!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,518)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We went based on reviews and we were delighted. The place is small so reservations are a good idea. It was packed all 3 nights and this was Mon thru Thurs! Service is great and very attentive.
First night had mussels with marinara for app (so good), husband had calamari steak parmigiana ( he loved it, I don't usually like calamari but this was very good= more like fish than the rubbery rings) and I had the cioppino (delish).
Second night had oak grilled oysters for app (fabulous, and I won't usually eat oysters=tasted of wood smoke and they were very meaty oysters, not slimy) husband had crab cake and scampi style scallop special (he was very pleased) and I had the artichoke seafood pasta special (fabulous).
On the third night we had oak grilled oysters again ( still terrific), husband repeated his first meal and had the calamari Italian steak (he was in heaven again) and I repeated the artichoke seafood pasta ( very good not quite as good as previous night). I was impressed that the linguine pasta was made in-house. We decided to splurge our last meal and had the tiramisu that is served with spumoni (so good ! and only $6 for a terrific dessert and nice size portion).

1  Thank monails
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I have been enjoying this restaurant for many years whenever we visit the Monterey Bay area. After today's lunch we will not be going back. Both of us ordered a dish that included sea scallops. They tasted like brine! There was not a hint of the sweetness of a fresh sea scallop. What a disappointment. Their popularity has increased, but unfortunately the quality of their seafood has suffered.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Solid 4 stars. Great seafood, good service, tiny cramped seating.

I followed Yelp recommendations and made a reservation and it was a great piece of advice. At 6 on a Saturday night, the place was packed with over an hour wait without reservations. We got there a bit early but our table (in a quieter part of the small bustling restaurant) was ready pretty much on time. We found some dishes were average but some were out of this world. The calamari appetizer was small but exceptional. I don't know how they made this not chewy but it definitely was one of the better calamaris we've had ever. Sauces were pretty good and flavorful. Clam chowder, however, was a bit too watery for us and although it had plenty of clams, it left us wishing for the chowders we've had elsewhere (like at Vivoli Chowder House. Our main dishes of the special seafood pasta (artichokes, clams, mussels, scallops, shrimp in linguini with a tomato cream sauce) was excellent. My wife had the clam linguine and the savory broth soup like clams were perfectly done. Desserts were so-so, the tiramisu was ok but helped with a scoop of spumoni, while my wife's calzone was pretty good. I don't think the desserts were made on the premises. Service was quick, efficient, and friendly. Even though the place was packed and noisy, I felt an incredible energy throughout that made the meal enjoyable and something to remember but this may not be the kind of place for everyone. Prices were a bit high but offset, I feel by the great quality (and quantity) in the good dishes, and good service. We will definitely come back and try some of their other dishes like the fish preparations that looked quite good too. Just be sure to make reservations and don't get a table near the front door as it's packed with people standing around waiting.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I enjoyed the salmon pasta and the crab cake/crab ravioli combo. I look forward to returning on my next trip to Monterey.

1  Thank Detra D