“Fabulous breakfast place!”

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The place has won best breakfast in Monterey several years in a row, and it's easy to see why. Food is fantastic, and portions are huge! Come hungry and prepare to leave full!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I ordered eggs with biscuits and gravy. The biscuits and gravy were the worst I have ever had. The B & G was lacking sausage, I think. My guess is they used bacon bits. Plus, the gravy barely covered the biscuits. The eggs were ordered over medium well which in my mind means the white is completely cooked and the yolk is still liquid. The eggs came with the white still runny in places. I'm a local in Monterey so I know in the past this was a great place for breakfast. I probably won't return for a few years hoping a new cook takes charge.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Our motel's continental breakfast was worse than we expected so we headed off to look for a place to eat. The Cafe is in the historic downtown area of Alvarado Street, a cute area. We were greeted right away and found a nice table by the window. I like they have a bowl of salsa waiting for you. The coffee was good and dark. I had the two eggs with grits. These were the best grits I've had since my grandmother made them for me in Fla! My breakfast was so good, I forgot what my hubby ordered. Eggs were done just right. It's a small place and you can see the locals enjoy eating there. Parking on the street is tough to find, but there is a lot in the back and you can look like you belong by going in the back door! Only thing I'm asking, please get rid of the dry and suffering plant hanging off the shelf. But, I'm really looking forward to returning.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

They advertised themselves as the best breakfast of Monterey. We haven't tried all the restaurants but would say that the breakfast was pretty good. Nice welcome when we came in. You can tell a lot about happy employees in a restaurant. Must try if you are looking for a traditional breakfast menu.

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Ordered the California Benedict, eggs benedict with avocado, very good. The wife had the banana pancakes, 3 huge pancakes that couldn't be finished. If you can't find parking on the street in front there is a small parking lot behind the restaurant that has parking and there is a back entrance. Good local spot.