“Great Food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fish Hopper

Fish Hopper
Reserve with OpenTable
Fish Hopper is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 297 Restaurants in Monterey
Price range: US$25 - US$45
Good for: Groups, View, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prescott Street
Transit: Cannery Row has free trolley service from various locations on the Monterey Peninsula with stops directly in front of the restaurant. There is also the normal public bus system which a stop within a short distance of the restaurant.
Description: The FishHopper * Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, combined with world class dining on historic Cannery Row,within walking distance to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and fine shops.The Fish Hopper, once an original sardine cannery building, offers spectacular panoramic views of the beautiful Monterey Bay from every table including our heated outdoor patio. The Fish Hopper specializes in fresh sustainable seafood,certified Angus steaks,pastas and live shellfish.Some of our menu favorites are the fresh abalone from the Monterey Bay, the “Island Sampler”(fresh seared Ahi tuna from Kona served with coconut shrimp and a crab cake), Macadamia-crusted halibut, our famous “Tomahawk Chop” long bone-in Rib Eye, or fresh Dungeness Crab available year round.2010 West Coast 1st place winner for our famous clam chowder soup.In addition to our fabulous menu indulge in one of our many exotic cocktail creations. While enjoying a delicious meal watch frolicking sea otters at play and even see the occasional whale.
San Diego, California
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Got lucky and sat on the window with a wonderful view of the bay at sunset. If you like artichoke, I recommend their appetizer. Great garlic dipping sauce and it's cooked in a balsamic vinegar. My wife and I both had the fresh caught Monterey Bay salmon and it was delicious. Server was very friendly and handled the crowd well.

Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Boulder, Colorado
“Great view of bay with a strange happy hour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Happy hour is on until bar area fills up. That's what we were told when we asked about happy hour. Luckily it wasn't filled up when we walked in. We sat at the bar and the bartenders were very friendly and the service was quick. Happy hour wine was very good for the price. The best shrimp ceviche we ever had was at a little restaurant in Mexico. Fish Hoppers shrimp ceviche was almost as good. The clam chowder was also some of the best we have ever had. It was thick and creamy was great flavor. The crab cake sliders were a different story. The bun had a small spot of tartare sauce with a small amount of shredded cabbage. The crab cake was flavorless. I had to put hot sauce on it to give it some flavor. If your looking for a good happy hour this is the place.

Visited May 2014
Haltom City
“Awful Customer Service Incident”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband, mother and I went to lunch at what WAS our favorite restaurant. During our last visit for lunch my mom and I decided to try different appetizers while my husband ordered fried shrimp. We all enjoyed their complimentary (with a coupon) calamari, then we moved on to each having a cup of clam chowder, then we each ordered prawns. All was very good. Prawns were fresh and delicious. The waiter came and checked on us. My elderly mom was full. I said to the waiter...hmmm... I'm thinking of just a little fish...something small? Is there anything like that? And he says "how about some abalone"? and then said a little under his breath - "it's an appetizer, it's just not on the menu"... I said okay, I'll try that. It came, I tried it, It was good and I ate it. THEN the bill came with the abalone cost of $49.95?! What a shock. We talked to the waiter which lead to a talk with his supervisor. He was told to "split the difference" with us by giving us a 7.00 deduction. Feeling defeated, we paid and left. The sneaky sale and slippery transaction just felt wrong. I decided to call the restaurant and asked for the manager. I had to leave a message and after a few days another manager called me. For the third time I was told/given the line that "our customers are insulted if we tell them the price of abalone". Really? I said I think there is a higher percentage of customers that would appreciate being told the price, since the item and price were conveniently not on the menu and so much more costly than any other appetizer on their menu. And also said that at the the waiter should have been courteous to mention that this fish is "a specialty" so that it might prompt me to ask the price? No, I feel it was "sold" to me this way intentionally. As I think back about how this sneaky sale transpired the more I feel tricked. I kept hearing that same phrase the supervisor, and both managers stated "our customers are insulted if we bring up the cost". No, I feel this is a regular practice to increase their sales! Again, on principle, I talked by phone to the front end restaurant manager Jason, and told him that a larger percentage of customers would appreciate staff bringing up the cost of such an extremely priced appetizer. His response was "we are not in the practice of adjusting menu prices". That response didn't make any sense! The PRICE and ITEM weren't on the menu!
I gave him one more opportunity to keep a customer and said he would not budge at all.
Dear other vacationers/visitors BEWARE!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Benicia, California
“Ambience and Excellent Food on Cannery Row”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We have visited Monterey many times over the years, fortunate to live just two hours away. With a college daughter at CSUMB, we often head down to the peninsula for a day trip, give our girl a break from college food :) We celebrated Mother's Day at the Fish Hopper. This review is not based upon one meal, but on many we've had there. It is our number one go-to dining spot for lunch or dinner when in town. 'Tourist Mecca' restaurants often earn a bad rap - if the dining experience disappoints, patrons won't be returning anyway. The Fish Hopper is quite the opposite. Service is very good, even when the place is packed. There isn't a bad seat in the house whether dining inside or out, and we never tire of watching Otter antics as they are abundant in this area. There isn't a poor choice on the menu, but the fish is always fresh and wonderful with finish options that satisfy. Food preparation is outstanding, with attention given to presentation and quality. There is a full bar and a good wine list. Prices are reasonable for the area. 30 + meals later and it has yet to disappoint.

Northern California
“Taking in the ocean inhabitants while having a great meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We got a reservation at open table for 6:00 and got an ocean front table, best in the house. While dining, we watched seals sunning themselves in a group in the water, a couple of otters, jonathan the gull and other shore birds. We had an appetizer of marinated artichoke, which was soft and tasted strongly of vinegar. Bread was served hot with some nice and sour rolls, the kind of San Francisco sour that lays on the tongue nicely. For dinner we both had fresh parmesan crusted halibut on roasted butternut squash risotto with roasted garlic asparagus. The halibut was fantastic, light, flavorful, we had it served with the sauce on the side. The risotto was absolutely awesome, creamy mild flavor would have it again in a minute. The asparagus was soft, like it had been par boiled before the grill and was overdone. The service was impeccable, present, checking back, without hovering. The manager checked in on the dinner service. This was a special night's dinner for both of us. Next time we'll choose a different appetizer and check on the asparagus. We'll be back here again.