“If There Are No Other Options”
Review of El Castell Motel

El Castell Motel
Ranked #22 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Not sure what if the other people that reviewed this place with good remarks were confused with another place or just plain dumb. Here is the first tip that this place isn't the greatest, the business next to it is an adult bookstore and theatre. Take a look at the google street view and you'll see it. When I was checking in it was hassle free and the young lady that was at the desk was friendly. We had a two room suite which was relatively clean. We checked in after 5pm and didn't realize until later that night that two of the lamps were not working along with the telephone. I called the front desk (from my cellphone) and let the gentleman know of the issues. He then asked if I really NEEDED the phone because it is a major thing to replace. I then asked him if it isn't a safety issue and he reluctantly agreed to replace the phone in the morning with the two light bulbs. While we were having breakfast the following morning one of the lights was fixed but NOT the phone nor the second light. After a second call to the front desk the desk attendant came to the room 30 mins later with a new phone and bulb to put into the lamp that was without a bulb. Breakfast is okay, as long as you get there in time because there are no attendants. Once the food is done, that's it. See the attached photos PRIOR to the end of the breakfast time. Not sure if the other rooms have cleaner showers, but our wasn't in too good of shape as far as cleanliness goes. The furniture is beat up and is beyond its useful life. Don't lean on it or place anything in the drawers because it may fall apart. The morning of checkout I was getting ready to iron my clothes but the broken ironing board had other plans for me. There were random doors on the property and other building materials that made it look bad. The landscaping was nice, maybe to draw your eye away from the other problems. Lastly, the 'indoor' pool is really a COVERED pool. The pool was clean but it isn't completely indoors. It looks like the shady ownership also tried to cut corners and save a few bucks with the poor ceiling repairs in the pool area. Parking isn't horrible here, but it isn't good either.

1  Thank anarayan
There are newer reviews for El Castell Motel

Reviewed 12 April 2014

The pool was fantastic - mostly indoor and warm. My kids loved it. Breakfast was great also, and our rooms were very clean. We even had extra towels. Yes it is a little older, but for the price it was great. The beds were very comfortable too, but my main tip is that the pool was very clean and great for kids. We also upgraded our room to have two queen beds, and we found that we had an extra twin bed in there for free.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We were driving down the 1 and didn't know where to stay on the way. We found ourselves in the Monterey/Carmel area and just started looking after sunset. We literally just wanted a room for the night, but wound up here which turned it to be a better than we expected. The room was large, there was a heated pool, and the breakfast was above average for American hotels. To be honest, we thought motels were much more run down, but that's probably just from the movies. This was excellent!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Bergman740
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I was hesitant at first, my grandpa booked the rooms but as soon as we got there the front desk staff was super friendly and that is one of the thungs I always look for since I am a front desk clerk myself. We walked into our rooms and they we so clean, they smelled like fresh clean linen and they were bright. Breakfast was good. The pool was nice. I am just so happy with this place. I would definately stay there again and recommend it to everyone. Everything worth seeing is a 5 minute or less drive.

1  Thank JodiNJose
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Room was very comfortable, very clean. Didn't try the breakfast. The hotel isn't in the Monterey Bay area- but its only a short drive away. Only complaint was in the 2 nights I stayed there I didn't get to park in the spot outside my room- or even very close- as cars seemed to be parked there continuously- not a big problem as there was plenty of other spots to park in but it did irritate me me somewhat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It was a clean and a spacious room. It had enough amenities(refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer and Wifi…). We liked a breakfast service. Muffin fresh from the pan was good. We would like to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We; Enjoyed a night at this clean,well run hotel.The room was nice,the breakfast good and we enjoyed a swim in the pool.I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a nice inexpensive place to stay in Monterrey.The bed was firm.Thanks

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple