“pretty good place”

El Castell Motel
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 May 2014

good location, clean room, nice staff. don't plan on eating the "free breakfast" - not enough food and very few places to sit. airport is near so don't plan on sleeping after 7am because you will not be able to.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay. Everything was clean and neat. Don't count on the breakfast if you are looking for anything other than carbs, only dry ceral, waffels, toast and danish available. Over all I was very pleased and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This motel is a drive away from Cannery Row & Fisherman's Wharf. Room small but very clean with nice bedding& towels. Basin is in main room & not bathroom, not really a problem but not sure why! As some other reviewer pointed out, right next door is an adult theatre & book store which had loud music banging away right near our room. Would recommend you ask for a room away from main road and on same side as reception.
Breakfast was plentiful if not a great deal of choice.

Room Tip: Choose one away from main road and in same area as reception
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I would have given it four stars if the man in the office hadn't decided to argue with me in regards on how I hung our maid service sign. We came back from a long day, only to find our room not cleaned. I called to the office and ask if we could have maid service and he said "no" then preceded to tell me that I must not have put my sign on right. I said ok maybe not but is there anything we can do? Still he countuined to argue, Really! Then I snapped and said can you just move forward and just bring us some clean towels. When he did he thoughtit was ok to glare at me. You may want to give your employes some traing on customer service!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The outside of this place is very outdated but they have redone the inside to be very modern. The rooms were very clean. The staff was very friendly. The property is well keep up with flowers all around The pool was very clean. It was very quiet. The rooms are small. The hair dryers are awful. Bring your own Didn't eat the breakfast buffet because it was too crowded. Many restaurant near by. For the price I would say we got a great deal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We paid about £40 for night and was 5th motel on our road trip.we got so much more than we expected especially for price. It was the nicest motel we stayed. You could smell clean soon as you opened room door. Staffdrooling and had no prob checking in early. There a lovely Sunderland and covered pool. I was very easy find. Best it all its all on one level.breafast was good.bra linin was nice quality too. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed at Monterey El Castell for one night as a stopover travelling from San Francisco to big sur,
Nice rooms, good free wifi, small breakfast room with free breakfast buffet that gets crowded but not a big problem., nice indoor pool too, nice stop off point on west coast, recommend for stop off or longer

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends