“Stubborness on the rates but otherwise, typical BW”

Best Western Park Crest Inn
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I admit, I'm a Best Western loyalist but recently BW has fallen behind in the mid-range motel race. Let's get down to business. The BW Park Crest in Monterey is OK for the price (all of which are way high in Monterey) and we chose it for a one-night stay. It was fine for the purpose but I wouldn't stay there more than a night or two. The front desk staff was polite,but very stubborn about my asking for a better rate. BW offers a government rate for retired law enforcement (I've gotten it for years) but the front desk lady really dug in at my request after my wife had I had booked AAA. If it were me I would have created some goodwill by being flexible on the rates. There was also some rate "jack up" for that night. She said she would have to figure my new rate on "that night's rate" which would have ended up higher. Sorry for the rant but it really annoyed me. The property looked like a '50's-'60's motel that had been taken over and re-branded by BW. The room was nice, a little funny-smelling, and on my "would you walk around barefoot in this room" scale it was a 6 out of 10. Bathroom was pretty roomy but old, but, heck, it served the purpose. A/C was pretty quiet but we did not need it during the night so I can't comment on keeping me awake, probably so. The breakfast room was crowded in the morning with families and what looked like travel groups. The pancake machine (no interest of mine) gave up early on from all the attention it was getting from the kids. BW better watch out, some of the other brands are catching up fast.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 October 2012

Bid on this room on Priceline and got a good deal. After reading other reviews I was pleasantly surprised. Room was clean and a very nice size. They were putting new large flat screens in all the rooms. The Continental Breakfast was better than most that I have had at similar hotels. Actually had sources of protein and not just sugar laden carbs. The front desk staff was very kind and helpful. The setup is similar to many of the hotels on Munras Ave ( 2 stories, no elevator, park outside the room) I am not clear what people expect from a 2.5 star hotel but this more than fit the bill for me.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank sunshinedf
Reviewed 5 October 2012

if I told you how much we'd paid to stay here, it would rate 1* or even 0*. But to be fair, we didn't realise we were trying to spend a couple of days in Monterey during one of its busiest weekends. So if we'd paid rack rate, I'd rate this 2*, and I'm trying to be fair...
If you're trying to impress, and/or want a romantic weekend away, please please don't book this hotel. If however you want somewhere which is reasonably convenient for Monterey seafront and don't mind battered furniture and horrible carpets, give it a go. Good for, eg stag/hen weekends where frankly you don't care about the surroundings and just want somewhere to crash.
The staff were, however, nice...
...and I'm struggling to find anything else which is more than you'd expect as standard in a developed country :).
I think I'll leave the review here before I get into trouble.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed here because it was impossible to find a room elsewhere. The staff was friendly, but the rest average....Nothing to recommend, unless you just want to sleep somewhere...Very noisy from upstairs.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I stayed on the Park Crest Inn on 8/9/12 and presented the General Manager with a $50.00 credit from Best Western. He told me the credit would automatically appear on my bill. It didn't. I have called 3 times and faxed my request for credit two times but have not received a credit yet. (8/30/12) or a call back.

I was satisfied with my stay and with the service, but I am not happy about the delay in crediting my account! The reason I chose this hotel was because of the Best Western certificate. It was my fault for not reviewing my bill before I left the hotel. I didn't receive a copy under the door as usual, nor did I get one upon departing..... my fault!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I would give neg stars! Saw a roach in my room! At first his night manager blamed other people bringing the roach in the room. So I contacted the GM, Sanjay thought giving me half off the first night and moving me to another room would have appease me. At first, I agreed because I knew there no rooms left in Monterey. I still called Best Western the chain's customer care line to explain my experience: at first she was helpful and said we could comp your first night but she let me talk to Sanjay. Sanjay wasn't please that I called customer care and refunded me my money and kick me out of the hotel! Yes WOW! All over a roach in their  room. Be forewarn that they are not about customer care.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Only1browngirl
ParkcrestInnGM, General Manager at Best Western Park Crest Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

First of all we are not agree with this review. we did not have any problem with the roaches in our accomodation.we have routine service with pest control service and we can provide documentation showing we do not have such a problem like that. they created a story to get the money back from us. when they initially came and complaint about us we went to the room and did not find anything in the room and guest is telling us that she just show it. next morning after spending night comfortable in our room they came and ask for full refund of the room.eventhough we did not find anything in the room we issued her full refund. after they checked out from that room we called our pest control company and ask them to do full inspection of that particular room. after inspecting the room they did not find anything in the room. I feel this is totally wrong accusation. I strongly urge to remove this review from this site.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed here over the last weekend of July, for our visit to Laguna Seca for the Moto GP. The rooms were a great size, the bed extremely comfortable, and no noise from the road. The rooms were well equipped with coffee making facilities, hairdryer, iron, tv etc. The manageress, Esmeralda, could not have been more helpful during our stay, even going out of her way to lend me her own hairdryer when there was a problem with the one in the room. Breakfast was more than adequate, with everything you needed to fill up ready for your day. Overall, a great place to stay! If we ever return to Monterey/Laguna Seca, this will be where we will stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

first of all I would like to thank Julie for taking time to review our facility. we are happy to hear that you had a great time. we always valued our customer and try to make their stay comfortable with us. thank you Julie, we will see you next time.