“Do not stay at this hotel!!”
Review of Bay Park Hotel

Bay Park Hotel
Ranked #45 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
San Mateo, California
“Do not stay at this hotel!!”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

This was the worst experience I have ever had with a hotel. The room was dirty. There were roaches on the bed. There were spiders and spiderwebs in the room. The toilet was dirty with poop that had not been properly cleaned. There was a foul smell and it also smelled like smoke (this was a smoke-free room, supposedly). When we went to complain to the person in charge (Steve Brady). He treated us in a very rude, aggressive manner and said we must have brought the bugs ourselves. He said we were just being cheap and wanted a free hotel stay. We ended up leaving close to midnight since we not only did not want to stay at this horrible hotel, but we also did not feel safe. We had to drive back to San Francisco and our Labor day weekend was ruined.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SanFranch
lizdgm, General Manager at Bay Park Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2010
I spoke with this guest the day after he had left our hotel at midnight. He did tell me that there had been a bug on top of the bed (it was a silverfish) and one spider in the corner of the room. His biggest disappointment had been the rudeness of our night clerk. I agreed with him that he had not been properly treated by our night clerk when he brought up his discomfort with the bug. Since he had been treated so unprofessionally, I gave this guest a full refund. At no time did he tell me about a filthy toilet, multiple spiders, and a smell of smoke in his room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We have stayed here before and it was O.K. The location is pretty good. This time the room was dirty especially the bathroom. The bathroom smelled - well use your imagination. I asked that it be recleaned, but the smell was still there. The floor was dirty and the bathmat in the tub dirty. The bedspreads looked like something you would have thrown out years ago. The carpet was stained. Then there was the noise. Our room was located near a party room and finally at 11 p.m. I called to complain. THEN some group showed up EARLY in the morning and the noise started all over again. They acted like they were doing me a huge favor to bring extra towels. I spoke with the manager about all my concerns, but got nowhere. I think we were treated very poorly for returning customers. The smell in the bathroom really pushed me over the edge. We won't be returning. We paid over $150 per night. It was certainly not woth it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mkm14

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2010

There's a wide gap in properties in Monterey. The five stars are very good, but most of the hotel/motels are rubbish, but the Bay Park stands out because of its comfort, location, good restaurant and value. The staff are excellent, and the rooms nicely furnished, with free high speed wi-fi and free parking.
The beds are very comfortable and the bathroom well fitted out. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent, and while planned to dine out mostly, many times I chose to dine in.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Crawfz
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I stopped in Monterey for a few days while on my way to the Bay area and booked online with the BPH. It had been 15 years since I had stayed here last and thought I'd have a "Reunion" Booking online locked in a rate (Non-refundable BTW) that was about $70 less than their normal room rates so I went ahead - The Bay Park is a nice place to stay no question about it. Three stories but no elevator. The location is always questioned no matter where it's reviewed. BPH is located about 10 minutes from Fisherman's Wharf and sits on a hill within walking distance of the Del Monte Center, an outdoor mall that is very nice with shops and restaurants. The room was clean and the staff was really nice. The other thing I liked about it was the have a bar (Safari Club) and a separate restaurant (Crazy Horse) attached to the hotel in case you're not up to going to the Wharf or Cannery Row. The only thing is there is a gas station/mini mart directly in front of the BPH so be careful where you ask for a room. I asked for a bay view and the view was limited by trees and was near the gas station (Noisy) and there are highways that run in front of and in back of this hotel which bothers some people. I'd say this is a nice place if you're looking for a place to hand your hat. The other nice thing about this establishment is because of its locale, there's not a lot of people traffic as I've experienced at other hotels. My suggestion go onto their website and check out my pictures on this site. Would I stay here again, sure but I will probably try a different place next time.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Coder
happygal2
Reviewed 15 October 2008

When we opened the door of the first room we were given, we immediately noticed that one of the beds had not been made. We did not enter the room all the way but made a hasty retreat. The drapes were drawn and the room was dark so we were not sure if someone was still occupying it. We were given another room, which had an unpleasant odor. The highway is adjacent to the hotel, so there was a lot of vehicle noise all night long. The extra blanket appeared to have been well used but not washed. The door to the room did not secure properly.

On the plus side, the staff was pleasant, the room size nice, and we had an excellent meal at the hotel's restaurant.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Odor in room; proximity to highway
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank happygal2
CA
Reviewed 26 July 2008

I usually travel to Monterey often on business year round. During the summer it's difficult to find a hotel or inn with prices under $250. For $129 a night (during July is a great deal), this hotel provides a lot of ammenities. My room was clean and comfortable. I had free wireless internet service, DVD and flat screen TV. The hotel has a exercise room, pool and hot tub. It was also nice to have a restaurant on site, (great salad bar). Staff was very nice and accomodating. I will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Convenience for Business
  • Disliked — It took a while to get a internet connection
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank butch2Ca
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 12 November 2007

We were in Monterey for a the Big Sur half marathon which draws a lot of people and so the local hotels seem to cost more on that weekend. Even the 2 star hotels are charging $150 or more a night. So I was excited to go online and find a so-called 3-star hotel, The Bay Park for $140 per night. To me, a 3 star hotel is very nice. When we arrived, I knew we were in for a disappointment before we even entered our room. The outside of the hotel seemed old and a little run down. When we entered our room, it was like stepping back to 1978. The bathroom fixtures were old, the shower tile was old, the furniture was old, the carpet was old, the walls were old, even the television was old. The room was clean enough but it would be nice if they could freshen up this old timer of a hotel. The room we chose had two very uncomfortable beds to accommodate 4 people and yet the bathroom only had two towels and one small bar of soap. Another disappointment was no free breakfast... something we got at a cheaper hotel down the street (Quality Inn). The only positive things I can say about the hotel is that the rooms have a mini refrigerator and the staff at the front desk are friendly. The bottom line is that this hotel should be considered a 1-star hotel, maybe a 2-star if they freshen it up a bit. But its far from being 3 stars.

Let me finish by pointing out something that symbolized the dated look and feel of this hotel. Just outside the hotel restaurant, was a plaque on the wall. On the plaque was a glass salad plate. The plaque was an award given to the restaurant for best salad bar. The award was given by the Iceberg Lettuce Foundation (or something like that) in the year... 1980.

• Liked — Front Desk Staff and location
  • Disliked — Too expensive for old hotel
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family