“Ok value, iffy location, ok room”

Best Western De Anza Inn
Ranked #13 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Simi Valley
“Ok value, iffy location, ok room”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Everything about this hotel was average or a bit below average. The room was large and seemed clean, but had a parking lot view. The staff was so nice but the location sucked. It's far from all the attractions of Monterey. Breakfast was ok, but we ended up eating out because it had no healthy options. Overall, would not stay again.

Stayed August 2014
bwdeanza, General Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our property. We are approximately 2 miles from the city center and 3.54 miles from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Most guests have a vehicle and do not mind the short drive of 4-5 minutes given the savings in the room rate. I am sorry you didn't research your options before making your reservations as there are several Best Western properties on the Monterey Peninsula to choose from.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
United States
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Plan on skipping the breakfast and eat out. Quality of breakfast is very bad. For the high price that is being charged, a better breakfast should be expected. Neighborhood is not the greatest area of town.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwdeanza, General Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review of property. I am sorry you didn't enjoy the complimentary breakfast provided. I was surprised that you felt the room rate of $134.99 + taxes was a high price to pay given the average room rate in Monterey during the summer can be over $250.00.
I would recommend a Best Western Plus property for future stays as they are required to provide additional breakfast options. I appreciate your taking the time to post your comments and hope you had a safe trip back to Stockton.
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We like to stay up high away from street noise. We stayed on floor 3 in room 314 which was quiet at night. Our room was clean and nice and comfortable and quiet. Overall our stay was excellent. The customer service of the staff was excellent. We would like to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwdeanza, General Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you very much for your complimentary review and top rating of our property. We sincerely appreciated your mentioning the "excellent" customer service provided. We look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Monterey. Safe Travels!
Boston
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked this hotel because during our road trip no other hotels in the area were available, or would accept a one-night stay for Saturday. I had no high expectations, and they were met. It is the first hotel I've ever stayed at where the front desk proudly states as they give you your key, "there is someone here all night if you need anything". I suppose there are actually hotels out there where all of the staff leaves at night, but I've never stayed at one. I thought to myself, "I should hope so."

Anyway, it is a tired older hotel. There is a carp pool in the lobby, but it looks so sad and plain, you feel bad for the fish. The elevator is smaller, but it works. Just don't overload it.

The rooms were fine. Really nothing to complain about there. Not high end, but they don't pretend to be high end.

In the morning they had a small buffet setup in the lobby, As there were six in my party, the two or three tables in the breakfast area did not suffice as there were a couple of other people there. So while it may have been included, we opted to go to a local coffee/donut place to get something to eat. I could not imagine trying to get the kids to stand while they ate.

Location-wise the hotel was easy to find and easy to get to places from.

If I were in charge of this place, I would spend a bit of money on the lobby, breakfast area, and spruce up elevator - if that's possible. I think then the overall impression would change, because the rooms were okay, but the lobby lacks any character and is not a comfortable place to be.

After all that, would I stay here again? Yes if I was in the same situation.

1 Thank StuGrunt
bwdeanza, General Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our property. The last line of your comments stated,
“After all that, would I stay here again? Yes if I was in the same situation. I wish you would have started out the review with those comments since most readers may not ake the time to read the review in its entirety. I appreciated your candid comments and am pleased to inform you, we are in the process of redecorating the lobby. Furnishing, lighting and artwork are on order but as with most things the decorating process can be lengthy. I hope to have the lobby completed by the end of the year. Just in time to replace our in-room and corridor carpets. Painting of the exterior of the building should also be completed by the end of November. You were correct that not all properties in the area have a front desk agent on staff as we do. We just remind guests that there is someone available at all times to assist them. We are a small property and our lobby serves our complimentary breakfast. We provide trays so you may take it back to your room. Thank you for providing me an opportunity to let readers now what is taking place at the De Anza Inn.
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The rooms are clean and lovely, however very warm in July. I immediately went to turn on our a/c and found nothing. Upon contacting the desk I was told no A/C at this hotel. What? We tried to open windows, but curtains allowed bright street lights and traffic noise was loud. There was a ceiling fan, but nothing could cool this room without cool air. Fans offered, but blowing hot air is not cooling. We were miserable. I would not book hotel in warm months. I was told on checkout that most Monterey hotels do not have A/C. I looked across the street and noticed units in the rooms and called to double check. After investigating, the hotels up and down their street have A/C. Other than this.....clean and lovely.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
bwdeanza, General Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. Please note that TripAdvisor has an article regarding air conditioning availability on the Monterey Peninsula. I would recommend reading the article when considering a visit and definitely before making reservations. If you wish to sacrifice cleanliness and a well maintained room for air-conditioning you may select one a few properties on North Fremont that have air-conditioning. I am surprised by the number of guests that do not research their destination prior to traveling. I believe a few simple questions or reading prior to making your reservations would benefit everyone. By the way I would look at the air-conditioning filter in the room or inquire about the properties maintenance schedule for this process. It might be an eye opener!
Madera, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel was very clean the rooms were nice and well kept. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Its is located close to any are you may want to visit. Shopping is close to everything and also it is very close to the beach and the Warf.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwdeanza, General Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you very much for your complimentary review and top rating of our property. We were pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and our close proximity to local attractions.
Murcia, Spain
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel rooms are spacious, renovated and clean. In the hotel rooms you will find all the necessary items. The hotel offers breakfast, however there are only six chairs and a couch to sit on when eating breakfast. The hotel is fully occupied, which means that you have to take your breakfast to your room if you want to sit down while eating. The hotel has a hot tub and swimming pool situated near the road. It looks awful, but the water is nicely heated though.
Location is perfect to visit Montery and Carmel

Stayed July 2014
bwdeanza, General Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for your review and 4 out 5 rating of our property. I think your title should have read, nice hotel with limited breakfast seating. You did not mention the type, quality or presentation of the complimentary breakfast. I assume you would have commented had you not enjoyed it. We have limited seating because we do not have space for a designated breakfast room as we are a small 43 room inn. Since the complimentary breakfast is available for 3 hours, from 7am to 10am, I would recommend coming right at 7am or after 9:30am. If you come at the peak time usually between 8 -9am, we offer trays so you may enjoy breakfast in your room. I appreciate your taking the time to posts your comments as this allows me an opportunity to discuss the issues mentioned.