“A Courteous Hobbit Motel”

Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea
Ranked #20 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Oakland, California
“A Courteous Hobbit Motel”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I was traveling with my in-laws and frugality was required. With some hesitation we decided to stay at a Comfort Inn despite some of the negative Trip Advisor reviews. When we arrived a sign was posted that stated there were no vacancies. Rooms fill up quickly irrespective of the season. We were greeted by very pleasant and extremely helpful staff. I must say that they were the highlight of our visit!!! The rooms were a bit underwhelming. You can definitely hear your neighbors both above and to either side. The rooms are also quite small and the shower was tiny. With the exception of the closet the room appeared to be clean and everything was in working order. Do yourself a favor and don't get a room on the first floor as you will hear all of the cars and the highway traffic. It is definitely situated more like a motel than a hotel and unfortunately our room had a very odd odor to it. It was a lingering humid-like odor. The mattress was average but the furniture and electronics were new. Additionally within 30 minutes of checking in the front desk called to make sure everything was to our liking. While I would prefer to stay at a higher end hotel if I was budget constrained in the future I would consider staying here again.

Stayed November 2013
TravellerMonterey, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Explore our universe:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are glad that we were able to provide with a comfortable stay whilst on a constrained budge. We do also appreciate your feedback as it improves upon our services. Also thank you for recognizing our friendly and professional staff.

We look forward to serving you on your return visit to Monterey.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Everett, Washington
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Along Munras Avenue are 6 or 8 hotels that look pretty much the same from the outside, one-story wooden buildings looking like they were typical motels built in the 1950s but still in nice condition. This is one of them.

The interior of our room was clean and simply furnished, not wonderful but not objectionable either. The large bathroom had two sinks and the main room had a fridge and microwave. Everything worked, everything was comfortable, everything was in good condition.

The desk staff was cheerful, helpful, and efficient. Breakfast was filling and tasty: sausage, eggs, yogurt, waffles, fruit, juice, pastries, coffee, cereal, etc.

Our only unhappiness was we could hear noise out front as if the window was wide open, even though we had it closed tight. Some sound came through the walls from the next room, too. Fortunately things were quiet by bedtime.

Being the off season for a resort area property, the price was reasonable.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the parking lot will be least noisy from passers by.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Montereybythebay, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
828TJA

We know you have many choices when you book with us in Monterey and do appreciate that you chose to stay with us and that you had a satisfactory stay with us.

We value your business and look forward to serving you again on your return trip to Monterey.
Reviewed 3 November 2013

When researching hotels for our trip, I'd originally pictured staying on the water or in a quaint cottage in Carmel. But because of a golf tournament, I couldn't find much of anything under $250/night that looked cute. I decided to go to the other end of the spectrum and see what we could get that would be adequate and a bargain. I found this Comfort Inn, read reviews and booked it - for under $100. I cautioned my boyfriend that "it might be sketchy" simply because of the price. And we were pleasantly surprised. The place is SUPER convenient - it's a nine minute drive from the heart of Carmel, and an even faster drive to the Aquarium. The rooms are clean, have really comfortable beds and an updated bathroom. With an in-room fridge and microwave, free parking and wifi, this place is a huge value. The only potential downside is the traffic on Munras Ave or if you have a noisy neighbor who bangs in and out of their room multiple times at night, because the walls aren't super thick. But we got a great, uninterrupted night's sleep. Highly recommend this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alfarm:

You said it! Just because you paid lower rates then Carmel, you did not have to sacrifice good quality, friendly service, convenient location, many amenities (that you would expect at a full service hotel), free breakfast, parking and Wifi, great value, comfortable and clean rooms!!!!

Plus you are within few minutes to many attractions and venues when you stay with us. The money you save by staying with us, can go towards a nice diner at the many fine restaurants in Carmel!

Thanks for great feedback.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We arrived at this hotel after eight, we proceeded to checkin but it turned out they only had one room not two I am sure they knew about his before we arrived (but they had sold our room for more money as we booked early) he offered for us to go to another Comfort Inn nearby he never even made a phone call so it must have already been arranged ,we took the offer of these two rooms as we did not want to start looking for another hotel at this time. I asked if the alternative had a pool as I booked this hotel for the pool we intended to have a rest day round the pool as we had been in Chicago and San Francisco, the new hotel did not have a pool(disappointed)we went to the new hotel The Comfort Inn by the bay we check in the rooms we large clean and had a great charging point for phones cameras ect we went and had dinner. I did not sleep very well as I had booked the accommodation and felt some what responsible so next morning we ask about the pool they said we could use the pool at the first hotel I also asked if they would pay for a taxi there and back as we intended to have a few beers with lunch they agreed to do this, that was great but when you looked the hotel we booked was $60 more that the hotel we stayed in so I was a little disappointed at this I booked this hotel with booking.com and you get a confirmed booking but pay the hotel when you stay so the hotel was more per night than when we booked so they let our booked room for the current price and we paid the current price for where we stayed, so we did not get what we paid for.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Avril:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Sometimes it is a challenge when reservations are booked via third party and not with hotel direct as we cannot alter third party online bookings. Your satisfaction is important to us and will use your comments to improve upon our services.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here for one night (10/21/2013).

If it hadn't been for Pete overhearing my conversation with Choice Hotels customer no service while I was standing in the lobby, we wouldn't have stayed here at all. I'll leave that conversation for another review, let's just say that it wasn't a very nice one.

Back to Pete; after overhearing my conversation he urged me to give this property and its staff a chance to make up for the bad taste I now had in my mouth. He seemed really sincere and he wasn't the one I was frustrated with so we looked at the rooms and decided to stay in the one he recommended. Pete also gave us good advice on area attractions and dining.

Room 187 is secluded from the rest of the standard rooms on the property. It is behind the lobby, in between the workout room and the breakfast room. The walls are cinderblock so there was no noise transfer between rooms and very little street noise, despite being right on the street.

The room was dated, but clean. Bed and pillows were comfortable. There is no bathtub in this room, but the shower suited us just fine. There was also a mini-fridge and a microwave.

Breakfast was good: scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, sausage, waffles, pastries, cereals, coffee, milk and juices were available. The breakfast attendant was really nice.

It was really nice to see the use of solar panels and CFL lightbulbs throughout the property.

While I'm no longer a fan of the parent company, I do recommend staying with Pete and the rest of the crew here.

Room Tip: Our room (# 187) and the one right next to it offer great seclusion from the rest of the property
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Montereybythebay, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Firebull:

I am so glad that you reconsidered and stayed with us. We want our guests to have a great stay not only at our hotel but also enjoy our beautiful city. I will certainly share your customer service comments with Pete and rest of my team.

Thank you for your reconsideration and I am certain that your issues with CHOICE will be solved to your satisfaction.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed for a night here. The price was very cheap and the room was good. My only complaint would be that the room smelled musty and I had to air it out to sleep well. The room had a usb plug in it for those of us who forget our AC to USB adapters. The breakfast was the usual, the dining room was kinda small and couldn't fit everyone.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
TravellerMonterey, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Clara:

So glad that you liked the room and that we provided with a good room. Thank you for the feedback on the musty smell. I have discussed this with my maintenance staff and we have taken care of it.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.
Campbell, California
Reviewed 22 October 2013

truly like to receive a wonderful vacation, At a extremely
pleasurable cost, The room is a very comfortable size, I am an older
lady And I felt very safe here! Even opened my window for some fresh
air...(nice gentle breeze)The bed was firm and not that luppy 'creator
in the middle bed', But a nice firm comfy bed. The T.V. reception was
awesome(most hotels only get a few channels) Also free HBO....wow!
Wait there is more....swimming pool! coffee maker, (microwave and mini
fridge if you request). This is a wonderful hotel, the staff is
attentive, and oh my goodness the breakfast is soooooo good (keep up
the good work Comfort Inn!)The woods are right across the street, A
huge mall in walking distance, All the hot spots to eat,
entertainment(17 mile drive/Monterey bay aquarium/the ocean/museums,
buy food, etc. Are within a very short distance, this is a piece of
slightly hidden GOLD!!! Thank you again Comfort Inn....I will lay
my head upon your pillow again..-Shawnon H.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Shanwnon:

Wow great comments. Thank you so much. All of us here strive to please our guests from housekeeping, breakfast, maintenance, gardeners, management and front desk teams. Which is evident from your kind comments!

We look forward to having you stay with us again when you visit Monterey again.