“This place was terrible”

Days Inn Monterey-Fisherman's Wharf Aquarium
Ranked #47 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 19 May 2008

This place sucked for several reasons. Firstly, it's the local boozer hang-out. When we arrived, at 4 in the afternoon, there were several units with their doors open and people hanging around the hallways drinking. The first night actually wasn't too bad...the rooms have been renovated and are clean but the second night there was a virtual block party with about three or four rooms partying together.....and they didn't even arrive together. This went on until 3-4 in the morning. It's way over priced and really it's a Motel NOT a Hotel. I'd never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravelJunkyLA

Reviewed 29 March 2008

Checked in around 9:00 pm. The stairs up to the second floor were uneven and unsafe in the dark, especially for small children or parents carrying luggage. The toilet was running when we entered the room. You could see light and hear street noise through the gap between the door and the jamb. The cover of the heating unit was broken and lying on the floor in pieces of sharp metal. There was a coffee maker, but no coffee pot. The hairdryer in the bathroom was broken, the on button was jammed. The toilet clogged and then overflowed the next morning, soaking the bathroom floor and carpet. Couldn't wait to wake up and get out of there.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank CleanMomAlameda_CA
Reviewed 17 March 2008

We stayed for several nights and never again. We had a suite and when we started the water in the jacuzzi, it was brown.
The shower had mold in all of the corners.
The carpet was stained. Sheets were very clean but the bed was very uncomfortable.

Never again

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank CAtortoise
Reviewed 29 October 2007

I was actually wanting to stay at the other Days Inn just down the road, but was given this number instead. The staff was pleasent, but the room did look as if they attempted to modernize it on the cheap. The shower did not drain well, but we were only there to sleep. The main problem is the bed bug infestation. We stayed in Room 109. I woke up Sunday scratching a few spots, but it got worse as the day went on, and I ended up swelling up on my hands and legs and face . I know it is bed bugs because I where I was not covered by clothing (long sleeve t-shirt, socks and underwear I was bit numerous times.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank Smokey2006
Reviewed 11 July 2007

My family traveled from Las Vegas to Monterey peninsula and were very tired , arrived around 5pm. The place had no elevators and had to bring the luggage up. The carpeting on 2nd floor was very dirty and stained. The room had a very old moldy smell when
we opened the door. It disappeared after we left the windows wide open for at least a couple of hours. The sheets were clean
and the bathroom was fairly clean. I guess this place to be quite old by the looks of it. There is an italian restaurant down the street that's quite good and a chinese restaurant (The Great Wall)
which also quite good. The Wharf itself is a good 15-20 minutes walk and you will need your car or SUV.. to travel to Pacific Grove for Cannery Row and the Aquarium. The 17 mile drive is okay and you had to pay. To see the ocean for free just drive around Monterey Bay via Asilomar Beach Park and Ocean Drive and it is free!!!!The view is gorgeous and you can walk right by the ocean and the rocks!!! Our night stay at the hotel was okay , you have to l
leave your windows open for ventilation and the fan was fairly noisy. Unfortunately, you can hear your neighbors and the outside
traffic and you can probably find a better hotel somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bugok14
Reviewed 26 September 2006

we arrived in Monterey quite late in the evening, and having been quoted over $140 by the nearby Travelodge were pretty pleased to get a room here for about $80.

We were pleasantly surprised by the room - of course it's not the height of luxury, but it was spacious, clean, the beds were comfortable, and the shower was good.

The location is handy enough for Fishermans wharf (15 min walk), but less so for the Cannery (at least 30 mins walk). Also, if you arrive late like us, don't delay getting a meal as it becomes v hard to get one after about 10 o'clock.

overall - if I was staying in Monterey for an extended period, I'd probably look elsewhere (closer to the ocean), but for people driving through it's fine.

Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank iandel
Reviewed 24 June 2006

We're driving south from San Francisco to San Diego, hopping from place to place. We decided to spend two nights in Monterey, and after reading the reviews, we booked this Days Inn. Unfortunately, we didn't book the right Days Inn! There is another one, closer to the middle of the action - this one is much further away! We pulled into the wrong Days Inn, and we were quickly redirected to the one we had booked - I got the feeling it wasn't the first time it had happened. Both Days Inn's are owned by the same people, from what I learned. After re-reading the reviews, I believe that the other Days Inn is probably a little better than this one.

There are four of us - two adults and two "children", 14 and 12. The rooms were pretty cramped, but then again we hadn't planned on spending a whole lot of time in the rooms anyway. We didn't have a Jacuzzi or Fireplace, but we had two Queen beds which were pretty decent. The rooms were pleasantly clean, and the bathrooms had a marble floor which looked very clean. No funny smells, no mould, etc. We were on the first floor, so we parked our car and hauled our bags up the steps - no elevator. When we got in, I wanted a shower. I'm over 6 feet tall, and the shower head was probably aimed at my collar bone - lets say 5' 6". When we arrived in the evening, there was no hot water. When I asked about this, it was "turned on", so I get the impression that it's only available on request, and in the morning. Probably saving money. The next day, it was cold again in the evening, but I didn't bother asking. The other gripe was that the wireless network wasn't working all the time, but the problem was with their provider and not with the Days Inn. The owner spent a long time on the phone trying to resolve this problem, and it still hadn't been resolved when we left. The TV was fine and big, and there was a video recorder too. There was a problem with the TV in that it switched to being a radio (trust me, that's what happened) with no access to TV channels any more. The owner wasn't sure why this happened, and wasn't sure how to fix the problem, but eventually we found it was a matter of using the buttons on the TV to access the menu and turn the radio off.

Biggest gripe was that there was no Air Conditioning. Only a noisy fan in the room that could only be turned off by changing the "direction" switch to be in the middle. This stopped the fan. Did I mention that the fan was noisey! Well, in case I didn't, the fan was really noisey. Without air conditioning, and with four of us in the room at night, we were very very hot. I opened the front door and introduced cooler air at about 3am. Luckily, the fog rolled in on the second night and by opening the front door, I was able to vent the room of the hot air and allow (merciful) cold air into the room before we slept.

I would seriously recommmend eating at a brilliant Italian restaurant specialising in "Cucina Toscana" just down the road, called "La Giostra" at 1244 Munras Avenue. We had a wonderful meal - the ingredients were fresh and the tastes were authentic. The Tira Misu desert is especially good, as is the homemade chocolate ice cream (which contains no cream but yet is smooth and oh-so tasty!). Definitely be surprised and eat here - it's a hidden jewel!

• Stayed: June 2006