“Worst Hotel EVER”

Days Inn Monterey-Fisherman's Wharf Aquarium
Ranked #49 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 31 December 2013

First let me say that had we arrived around midnight - we're from the East coast so it felt like 3 am for us - we would not have spent one night here. When we arrived there was no one in the office. Upon going to our room we found it to be hot and dirty. The comforter was badly stained. The air conditioning unit was directly below the window and when it was turned on it blew the curtains open exposing the bed to the parking lot and highway just beyond. We had to place our suitcases in front of the window and pull the handles up and lean them against the curtains to keep them somewhat closed. The walls are so thin that you can hear everything in the adjoining rooms - the shower curtain opening and closing in the rooms next to you, the chronic cougher, the television, etc. Calls to the front desk were repeatedly unanswered and went to voicemail. At 6:30 am my husband went out for a walk and came back a half hour later telling me that he had booked us at another hotel. He went to the office to check out. Again there was no one in there, the door was locked and no sign of the coffee and continental breakfast they advertise (although considering the condition of the room I don't think we would have wanted to eat or drink anything there). We were beginning to think we had checked in to 'Hotel California' and would not be able to leave. My husband had to come back to the room and after three attempts to phone the front office he finally reached someone. We had booked this hotel for three nights and checked out after one - the manager never even asked why. I guess it wasn't a remote experience. We moved to Hotel Abrego. It was more expensive, but worth every penny!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Thank Christopher & K... H
daysinnmonterey, Manager at Days Inn Monterey-Fisherman's Wharf Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Guest

Reviewed 30 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Very good selection of drinks and breakfast snacks.
Having TV in the Breakfast area is also very helpful.
Front Desk, very friendly and helpful.
Very quiet and comfortable rooms.
Convenient location close to the mall and to the freeway made our trip
very easy.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Room was a little small but comfortable. The walls are very thin, I was able to hear everything. The complimentary breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I love this motel and the Inn Keepers, the Patels are fantastic, friendly people. I love the location with the Del Monte Mall right across the street. I always sty here when I am in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
daysinnmonterey, Manager at Days Inn Monterey-Fisherman's Wharf Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Reviewed 13 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
daysinnmonterey, Manager at Days Inn Monterey-Fisherman's Wharf Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Before I forget to write this , I went to check in early , I know check in isn't usually u til later , I get there at 12pm, i tell Prana, " I'm here to check in early " ......from the beginning she was just plain out rude . She said " come back at 3" .......so I told her " I know it's early but can you at least check if any rooms are available" she doesn't even try, and was very quick to remind me " check out is at 11am, and check in is at 3, come back later " ..... My thoughts on this, plenty of hotels to go to in Monterry , why not at least try to accommodate customers right ....we could certainly take our business elsewhere and right now is not peak season . So then I mention " so my mom is disabled ." , what I meant , is we've been in a car for 7 hours, hint hint....she still said " come back later " .....I had to ask her " when should we come back " themselves he says " after 1" ....so I go park somewhere , call Travelocity to get a refund and book somewhere else that treats customers like they care.....In turn, Travelocity called Sohail ,the Manager and magically within 5-10 mins since we left the property, our room was ready .Sohail was nice but I asked him , " how was my room ready in 5 mins so magically and why didn't Prana even try to accommodate us earlier knowing my mom was disabled" he tried to make up some excuse ( I believe it's a husband and wife team so....he couldn't say much )...I talked to one of the other staff and guess what , out of about 22 rooms, when Prana sent me away , only 10 were occupied, AND the parking lot was EMPTY . Wow so she is just rude and lacks in Customer service skills, she just did not want to help. What a great person to employ and make your business look good .

For this reason , we only stayed one night , and for the rest of the nights, we took our business elsewhere. somewhere where they just gave us some basic good customer service and dignity, and they cared.

Other than that , and the only reason I gave more than 1 star, is because the room was decent, it was clean, the property was quiet. Typical budget motel. And everything worked. In fact, I did like the actual room. Very comfortable. The continental breakfast was decent, toast, muffins, juice, coffee and fresh produce.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
daysinnmonterey, Manager at Days Inn Monterey-Fisherman's Wharf Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Christine,
thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete our Guest Survey. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.

I apolozise if one of our employees came across rude to you.
The reason she said what she said was because the room with 2 beds was not ready on the first floor which was what you wanted.
We had all our rooms open on the 2nd floor.

Again I apolozise on behalf of our employee and It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.