“Good Location, Tiny Room”

Hilton Garden Inn Monterey
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 9 April 2011

Nice hotel located close to local tourist spots. Nice lobby area, great service, and decent restaurant with outstanding staff. But the room was too small for four people over two nights. Shower did not work properly on first night.

Room Tip: Check for Larger Rooms before booking
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
borinstein, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Thank you for taking time to complete the Trip Advisor Review on behalf of our hotel. I did receive your comments and I am so pleased to hear you had an excellent stay with us and liked our location. I appreciate your feedback on our customer service, and our staff’s performance. Thank you for letting us know the shower did not work propertly. We did look up your room number and have completed the repair. Our rooms are a bit small for 4 people since they have 2 queen size beds instead of the customary twin or double beds in most hotels. When you do return please ask for one of our junior suites, which are not much more expensive, but have a lot more space for the 4 people. I look forward to welcoming you back to our property soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,611)

Reviewed 15 March 2011

Very clean, comfy. Lobby is large and welcoming. Free wifi in room, free covered parking. Nothing happening around the hotel, but 5-minute drive to decent shopping and entertainment areas. No breakfast included in room price, so can't comment. Heated outdoor pool and jacuzzi - looked nice, but I didnt use it. All in all, good value. I would stay there again (if I had a car).

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
borinstein, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay here at HGI Monterey. We are glad that you experienced a clean and comfortable guest room, and encourage you to try our breakfast next time you stay, it is one of the best in Monterey! Hopefully time will also allow you to relax in our heated pool and hydrotherapy pool or sit by the fire pit. Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2011

Maybe not the best location if you want to walk but that would be the only minus of this hotel.
Great comfy beds, nice quiet area, close to the 17 mile drive and you´re in the city in 2 minutes. Friendly staff and great war pool outside and nice fire place - which we enjoyed a lot - the only thing in regards to this was that you can not bring any drink to the pool - so maybe that would need change during the evenings.

Otherwise great hotel and if I am around Monterey again I would stay here again for sure !!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Terka_86
borinstein, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2011

Thank you for your kind comments about Hilton Garden Inn Monterey! We look forward to having you back with us again soon. And when you return, it is OK to bring food or drinks to the heated pool, whirlpool and firepit area as long as they are not in glass containers. We appreciate you taking the time to submit this review!

Reviewed 28 December 2010

When we arrived to Monterey we called the hotel because the navigator (me- sorry honey!) was lost. The young woman at the Hilton stayed on the phone with me as my husband followed her instructions until we reached the driveway of the hotel. Who else can give such service? Check in was a breeze and we were on our way to our room in minutes. They have free parking (thank you) and security at night- so we were very happy about that. Our room was fabulous- the bed was amazing and the patios here at the Garden Inn have very high walls so that you have complete privacy. We dressed for dinner and chose our destination for dinner. The staff was wonderful in suggestions and arranging our car service!! The next morning, I used the computer in the complimentary Business Center to catch up on my emails (thanks to the desk clerk for reminding me about that courtesy) and off we went for breakfast & sightseeing in Carmel. This is definitely going to be our "luxury away from home" destination.
THANK YOU HILTON GARDEN STAFF!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank studiocitysunshine
borinstein, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2011

Thank you so much for posting your check-in experience at HGI Monterey.
We are thrilled you had such an easy recovery to being lost navigating to the hotel.
Thanks also for making us your "luxury away from home" destination.
We look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the near future.
Regards,

Reviewed 1 December 2010

I contracted with this hotel last June for my wedding reception and I was evicted from my bridal suite on the night of my wedding. The hotel staff informed me that some of the guests at my reception were being loud and that they evicted my entire bridal party. A couple of hours later the security guard and two police officers barged into my bridal suite while my husband and I were in bed and said they were evicting us because of excessive noise. It was all lies. The guy at the front desk had a problem with some of my guests and I feel like he was out to sabotage me and my family that stayed there. Every single person with the same last name received a phone call to their room saying that they were being loud. I doubt my husband's parents and grandparents could have been making all this noise. It's ridiculous. I've never been so embarrassed in my entire life and I will never get to have my dream wedding night back again. Anyway, it was a horrible experience for me and one that I never imagined to happen on what was supposed to be "the happiest day of my life".

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank relaine2581

Thank you for expressing your feelings about the experience you had during your wedding at HGI Monterey. Our staff and management are also disappointed that the happiest day of your life would end the way it did. -- especially after such a successful wedding reception/dinner and receiving so many compliments on the food and service.

In hindsight, we wish we could have come to a more amicable agreement about the events surrounding that evening. Unfortunately we have to take other guests comfort into consideration.

Although there will never be a way to recapture the bliss of your wedding night, we regret the unfortunate end to an otherwise beautiful evening.

Thanks,

Reviewed 18 November 2010

We did enjoy our stay, the workout room is great and our room pleasant. My annoyance was the lack of afternoon or evening coffee in the lobby; and not having a newspaper or magazine in the lobby Saturday morning when coffee was served.
I find it interesting that a Quality Inn or a Comfort Inn serves all day coffee and at least a continental breakfast, but the Hilton does not.
This Hotel is right on Hwy 1, not in walking distance to the Aquarium or shopping; it is next door to the college.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review of HGI Monterey. We appreciated that you enjoyed your stay, guest room and fitness center. We have taken note of your request for all day coffee and thank you for the idea.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Regars,

Reviewed 21 October 2010

Room not ready - sat in the lobby - not offered the usual warm bottle of water that you come to expect at HGIs. We were finally given a room on the second floor, at the top of the parkade staircase. There is no carpet in the hallway of the parkade staircase. The room is so very small. The bathroom contains a tub/shower combo and a toilet. The door opens to a bed after just one step. No sink. IT is located on your immediate right as you enter the room (where a closet should be) and barely contains the sink - nevermind the coffeemaker and all the other usual bathroom stuff. The closet is an afterthought and is too small to keep a suitcase. Trying to make the best of it - we climb over a chair to open the patio door.... only to be welcomed by the noise of a busy kitchen - dishes clattering, loud voices. Waking up to this plus the greasy smell of cooking at 6 am is not our idea of a vacation. Late at night & early am - no sleep to be had. Hard to describe the sound of suitcase wheels bumping off of a carpeted hallway to the parkade concrete (right in front of our door, remember) and then disappearing with a bump onto another carpeted hallway.

We were so thankful that they gave us another room the next day - we were there for 3 nights. They did not help us with the switch. We would not have stayed but were travelling with another couple. This second room was fine and clean with a patio door opening to the parking lot. We considered this to be a huge improvement.

I have no idea why a chain with a decent reputation would have guests stay in our first room.

Indifferent service - nice pool area that was off limits to hotel guests one day of our visit from midafternoon to evening. No discount or apology.

Lots of better options in Monterey.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family