I was disappointed to find that standards at the hotel have (in my opinion) dropped somewhat since my last stay (see previous review). Or, perhaps more accurately, some issues seem to have worsened or have not been resolved.
Whilst I was happy (last time) to rate the hotel a "4", I did, to be fair, have some issues with rates, parking and the breakfast opening times that I set out in my review. There was also a noise issue last time that I did not write on TA about, giving the hotel the benefit of the doubt, but I did talk to the hotel manager about - see the relevance of this below
I stayed at this hotel again a month or so back and was very disappointed to note that, some 18 months on, and on the evidence of my stay, all the issues that I raised are all (seemingly) still issues.
This is particularly disappointing as I raised all of these issues directly and personally with the hotel management face-to-face, at the time, before I left.
My experiences of those issues this time around were:
Car parking is still problematical when the hotel is busy. You can end up parked very far from your room, and getting baggage etc to your room can be a fair old chore.. up/down ramps, through parking lots, up elevators/lifts.
The rates are still high for what you get.
The breakfast room still opens too late on a weekend if you need to be up at the nearby Laguna Seca race track to start work on time.
Noise was an issue again. In fact, this time, I noticed quite a few noise issues:
Firstly with people congregating around a fire pit by the pool area which made it pretty noisy late into the evening if your room faced onto that area (as mine did)(I could also smell cigarette/cigar smoke from that area).
Secondly, with noisy traffic to/from (what appeared to be) a quite boozy party/gathering/corporate event in a room/suite located close to my room, by the elevators.
Thirdly, with noisy neighbours who insisted on "talking" loudly in their room late into the evening, keeping me from sleeping.
I raised the later with the front desk but it was not resolved as the neighbours insisted they were not making a noise. In my opinion, if you can be heard in the next room, then that is making noise as the sound you make is unwanted by your neighbour (noise being an unwanted sound). It disturbs.
It is perfectly possible to have a conversation with somebody in a hotel room without being heard next door.
The "solution" offered to me was to relocate me. I'm sorry, but, c'mon, really, I am not going to pack all my stuff and move rooms at 11pm when I am already in bed trying to sleep and I am not the one causing the problem.
To me, many folks staying at the hotel seemed to be in "vacation" mode (giving them the benefit of the doubt) with less thought of their impact on others than they might have ordinarily had. If you are there working (as I was) then that can cause a conflict.
I understand that this is difficult for a hotel to balance out but, well, it is not impossible.
:- A designated quiet area of the hotel for folks wishing quiet rooms.
:- Enforced 15 minute bays next to elevators in the car park for loading/unloading (you could borrow an "unloading" a tag from reception).
:- A 9pm curfew on the fire pit area with no alcohol/smoking allowed there at all.
:- Open the breakfast room early enough at the weekend on event dates for folks to then get to work at the track
Whilst the style of the hotel is fine, and the amenities, decor at are OK, on the basis that two stays, 18 months apart, have led to the same sorts of issues, I am re-rating this property a "2".
I am Hilton Honours Diamond (and IHG Platinum). I stay in many Hilton group (and other) properties. This is one of the poorer experiences that I have had. I will definitely consider other options for my next visit into Monterey.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Garden Inn Monterey just completed a full property renovation April, 2013 and sits nestled among majestic Monterey Pines and mature Live Oaks in a dramatic and colorful garden setting. We are conveniently located near California's scenic Highway 1, 1/2 a mile from the beautiful beaches of Monterey Bay, and less than three miles from Monterey Peninsula Airport. Our tastefully appointed hotel guestrooms and suites offer: Individually controlled heating and air conditioning, Private outdoor balcony, In-room refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker, complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access and 42 inch flat screen hi-def TV's.Self-parking is available to all guests for $14/day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Monterey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn Monterey Hotel Monterey
- Monterey Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Monterey