“Still the same issues...”

Hilton Garden Inn Monterey
Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I was disappointed to find that standards at the hotel have (in my opinion) dropped somewhat since my last stay (see previous review). Or, perhaps more accurately, some issues seem to have worsened or have not been resolved.

Whilst I was happy (last time) to rate the hotel a "4", I did, to be fair, have some issues with rates, parking and the breakfast opening times that I set out in my review. There was also a noise issue last time that I did not write on TA about, giving the hotel the benefit of the doubt, but I did talk to the hotel manager about - see the relevance of this below

I stayed at this hotel again a month or so back and was very disappointed to note that, some 18 months on, and on the evidence of my stay, all the issues that I raised are all (seemingly) still issues.

This is particularly disappointing as I raised all of these issues directly and personally with the hotel management face-to-face, at the time, before I left.

My experiences of those issues this time around were:

Car parking is still problematical when the hotel is busy. You can end up parked very far from your room, and getting baggage etc to your room can be a fair old chore.. up/down ramps, through parking lots, up elevators/lifts.

The rates are still high for what you get.

The breakfast room still opens too late on a weekend if you need to be up at the nearby Laguna Seca race track to start work on time.

Noise was an issue again. In fact, this time, I noticed quite a few noise issues:

Firstly with people congregating around a fire pit by the pool area which made it pretty noisy late into the evening if your room faced onto that area (as mine did)(I could also smell cigarette/cigar smoke from that area).

Secondly, with noisy traffic to/from (what appeared to be) a quite boozy party/gathering/corporate event in a room/suite located close to my room, by the elevators.

Thirdly, with noisy neighbours who insisted on "talking" loudly in their room late into the evening, keeping me from sleeping.

I raised the later with the front desk but it was not resolved as the neighbours insisted they were not making a noise. In my opinion, if you can be heard in the next room, then that is making noise as the sound you make is unwanted by your neighbour (noise being an unwanted sound). It disturbs.

It is perfectly possible to have a conversation with somebody in a hotel room without being heard next door.

The "solution" offered to me was to relocate me. I'm sorry, but, c'mon, really, I am not going to pack all my stuff and move rooms at 11pm when I am already in bed trying to sleep and I am not the one causing the problem.

To me, many folks staying at the hotel seemed to be in "vacation" mode (giving them the benefit of the doubt) with less thought of their impact on others than they might have ordinarily had. If you are there working (as I was) then that can cause a conflict.

I understand that this is difficult for a hotel to balance out but, well, it is not impossible.

How about:

:- A designated quiet area of the hotel for folks wishing quiet rooms.
:- Enforced 15 minute bays next to elevators in the car park for loading/unloading (you could borrow an "unloading" a tag from reception).
:- A 9pm curfew on the fire pit area with no alcohol/smoking allowed there at all.
:- Open the breakfast room early enough at the weekend on event dates for folks to then get to work at the track

Whilst the style of the hotel is fine, and the amenities, decor at are OK, on the basis that two stays, 18 months apart, have led to the same sorts of issues, I am re-rating this property a "2".

I am Hilton Honours Diamond (and IHG Platinum). I stay in many Hilton group (and other) properties. This is one of the poorer experiences that I have had. I will definitely consider other options for my next visit into Monterey.

Room Tip: See the main review text
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Juninho_pp

Reviewed 25 June 2013

The hotel was nice and clean. Next visit to Monterey I will try another hotel with a better view. The only views at this hotel are the view of the pool area or "Mountain", which is a hillside full of shrubbery that backs into the community college. For the same rate, I could of booked another property closer to the ocean. Hotel was still nice , rooms comfy and spacious. Housekeeping was loud early in the morning...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank faby99
Jayson Z, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you for posting your rating and experience very good. We always strive for excellence in customer service and experience. Often times guests will find our Hotel offers a very quaint and secluded atmosphere compared to the downtown Hotels. We also offer much easier access to our neighboring attractions such as Pebble Beach, Carmel and Big Sur. Since completing our renovation we also prove to be a great value compared to the ocean view Hotels. We hope to offer the same consistently excellent service on future visits to Monterey.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

First time staying in Monterey, CA. Service was great in hotel. Location was near shopping and sights. Quiet when I stayed there for business. Food was excellent. Staff very attentive. Priced low for the quality and location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Jayson Z, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review we always appreciate positive feedback and of course we strive for excellent service so it is great you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Loved the pool area and the fire pit. Great place to relax after a long day. Just far enough away from cannery row to enjoy a quiet evening. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

Wish they had more than two washing machines!

Room Tip: Balconies overlook either the roadway or the pool. Ask for your preference.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2013

SO this hotel is wonderful. The rooms are large, the beds are ultra comfortable, the staff (front desk, maid, bartender) are all very nice. The bath amenities are from Bath and Body Works, as one expects from a Hiltons. My third floor balcony is huge and very private. The rooms have free wi-fi as does the lobby, plus the lobby has warm cookies in the late afternoon/evening and free flavored water. The hotel has free parking in a garage. The food the restaurant makes is delicious and can be ordered in the bar too.

My only complaint about this hotel that the stairwell that is mostly open air and how you get from one floor to the next and to the lobby and parking area, if one doesn't want to wait for the elevator which is very slow is stacked with boxes of what looks like bed frames (made in china is stamped on these huge boxes) and with table legs and other things I would expect would be kept behind the scenes. Maybe they ran out of storage space but it is kind of tacky.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This hotel has an odd mix of layout and fixtures, but it all works well. I only stayed for one night but I was very comfortable and I enjoyed the quirkiness. Furniture is a bit older, fixtures are outdated, the semi-underground parking is "different", but I really liked it. Like I said...quaint and quirky.

And the staff is eager to help. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Check in early so you can enjoy the surroundings.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This is a value stay. I like that internet access is free, and the staff was delightful. The food was also very good, however the guest rooms were noisy and the room was a little crowded. Overall I was pleased with the stay and would probably stay there again, since I felt like I got what I paid for. The staff really made up for any minor shortcomings, the noise did not interrupt my sleep any.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family