“Did not feel value for money”

Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed here for 1 night on the way from LAX to SFO. We were given the room on the highest floor. Although there is a lift available, there are still stairs to climb for certain rooms. Not very easy if you have a lot of luggage.

Our room overlooked the water with a nice view. Room was spacious and looked refurbished recently. Toilet was clean but we could not get used to the shower head. No slippers provided typical of US hotels. Also soap provided instead of shower gel.

Hotel is just 1 street behind cannery row and it provides easy access to the wharf and restaurants at cannery row. It provides wine reception but we did not join in. Breakfast area was small and we did not really like the food as some were too oily. Good thing was the hotel provided free parking at its basement.

Overall stay was okay but would probably stay somewhere else cheaper next time and then drive to cannery row to walk around. Ample parking space available at this time of the year.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eatshopeatshop
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear eatshopeatshop,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am happy to know that you found the view from our rooms to be nice. However, I regret if your breakfast experience was sub par and if the condition of the shower head was a disappointment. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your comments will help us improve what we can offer.

Again, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We spent only one night at this very conveniently located hotel because of the weather. Staff there are very helpful ... gave us a great dinner recommendation (within walking distance) and, when two days after checkout and a few hundred miles away, we discovered we'd left our cameras in the hotel room safe, all it took was one phonecall and we knew the cameras were in safe hands. We requested they Fedx them to a mail pickup in Washington state and within 3 days, they were waiting for us. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND A GREAT PLACE TO STAY.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

It's great that you had such a great time at our property, but I'm sorry that the weather shortened your stay! I'm very happy that your items made it to you safely -- we were happy to help. Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I rolled in to this HIE about 2 am on a week day, The Desk lady was a bit rude at first up warmed up quickly then because friendly and helpful. ( It was late) The room was pretty standard fair for HIE clean and comfortable, Cool location you can see the lagoon and the ocean, there were some seals barking close by in the morning. No food close by though that late and to drive a couple miles to a Denys.

Room Tip: Don't expect much when they offer you the "ocean view" still nice room and hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JimmyEatsitall
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

It's great that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked our location -- we're pretty fortunate to be in such a great spot. Thanks for taking the time to review our property, and I hope we get to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

we were driving around the local area and called this hotel after 6pm and got a much better rate than all the web sites were indicating so we went on and stayed there. Our room had an outside door but other than that, it was clean and comfortable with a nice bathroom. Staff friendly and sent us to a great fish restaurant! would be happy to recommend this hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmmcrob
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review our property! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you found such value in your stay! I hope that we have the opportunity to see you again the next time that you're in the area.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I thought everything about this Holiday Inn Express was just about perfect. It's located within walking distance of Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf, and the Monterey State Historical Park, which are the three reasons I came to visit. My room was easily accessible, just off the elevator on the third floor, and it had everything I needed at a very reasonable price (and also was very clean and very well-kept). Every staff I member I met was exceedingly friendly; they all took time to say hello when I walked by, and they answered all the questions I had about the area. I would not hesitate to stay here again when visiting Monterey.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Patrick98020
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Wow! Thanks for the great review! I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay at our property, and that you found our staff exceedingly helpful. It's true that we are lucky to have a wonderful staff, and we are also very fortunate to have such a great location, so close to Cannery Row and the ocean. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you next time you're in the area!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

If you plan on spending your whole day out in Monterey, this makes a great base camp to fit a budget. Its clean, cute, modern (but see note below), and has a decent breakfast to get your day started. If you are looking for someplace to get cozy and stay inside, I'd recommend the Victorian Inn across the street since they have fireplaces and hot tubs.

Our stay was wonderful here. The design is very cute with rooms ringing a central courtyard/atrium. (I would love to have a beer in the courtyard on a hot summer day.) However, the hotel is surprisingly inaccessible for such a modern looking building. Even with an elevator, you must use stairs to get to your room. There are a few rooms on ground level, but they are adjacent to the lobby. Mobility is not an issue for my family, but I think its important to note for others considering this hotel.

Service is great. We arrived extremely early, and without hesitation, they let us check-in. Cleaning staff are very friendly. Breakfast is the regular Holiday Express self-serve fare. There is free parking underneath the complex and it seems secure.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the second or third floor are larger and do not feel like a typical hotel room. Two...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HumJer

Thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself during your stay, found value in our property, and liked our staff. For future reference, while there are a few steps between many of our rooms and the elevator, we do have rooms that are immediately accessible, along with our first floor ADA accessible rooms. You can request these rooms if anyone in your party has mobility issues. Thanks again, and I hope we get the chance to see you the next time you're in the area!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for several nights in December when we were visiting family in the area. We have stayed at a number of local hotels, and I booked this hotel as nice upgrade. The rooms are nice, it is located walking distance to the shops on Cannery Row and the Aquarium, and the free parking is a great bonus. What bothered me most was their "wine & cheese" event. We arrived at the end of the wine cheese event. There was one other couple, at a table which had wines from a local winery for sale. We left without sampling. I thought the "wine & cheese" event was a social event, not a sales event.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveling_Bill_30118

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Parking on Cannery Row can be very difficult at times, and I'm happy that being able to park at our hotel and walk the block to the Aquarium was helpful. I'm sorry that you missed out on our Nightly Wine and Cheese Reception. We do offer complimentary wine and cheese to our guests, but it sound like you may have arrived after the event had ended, and the majority of our offerings had been cleaned up. Thank you for reviewing our property, and I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again in the future so that you can experience our Wine and Cheese Reception in full swing.