“Excellent Accomodations”

Mariposa Inn and Suites
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We picked the Mariposa from their website, and made our reservation over the telephone.
Michele was very efficient and gave us a wonderful room, more than we ever expected for the cost. Their location was perfect for our stay in Monterey. Good restaurants were near by and easy access to major highways. Normal continental breakfasts are average, but their's was well above average. Bagels, muffins, cereals, fresh fruit, juices, coffee, and plenty of good danishes along with a service staff member there during the entire breakfast time. Had the opportunity to meet their General Manager who was very helpful with our questions about Monterey and other information related to our California Trip. Before leaving California, we actually made another reservation for our return trip from Santa Barbara to San Francisco.

Room Tip: Corner suite is always good. There is traffic, but we were not bothered by it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mariposa Inn and Suites

Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here for two nights after being given a gift certificate for 2 free nights in a spa suite. When we arrived the woman at the front desk was very nice and welcoming. When we arrived in our room it was beautiful, like new, with a spa, fireplace, flatscreen and double shower. Our two nights here were nice, the beds were comfortable and cozy. The morining breakfast was also good. When it came time to check out MONDAY morning, my husband had told me check out was at noon. When I got up at 11am I thought I would just double check, and of course checkout was not a noon but at 11am. Since we wanted to shower before our trip home my husband called and asked if we could have a little extra time in the room since we got check out times mixed up. The woman at the desk said no, there is no late check out, that we could probably stretch it a couple of minutes but that we really needed to leave now. So of course my husband and I rushed to get out of the place before we were charged. Upon reviewing the confirmation I saw that the room we were staying in was a $359/night room. I understand it was our mistake that we mixed up the check out time, and since we were staying here for free I did not have such an issue with being "kicked out." However, if I had paid $359/night I would have been very upset that the hotel would not even give us an hour or so to freshen up before our trip home (it was a Monday in October with no special events so I have a hard time believing it was booked up and they needed the room ASAP). Overall we left with feeling lousy and with a bad taste in our mouth about the hotel which otherwise would have gotten rave reviews.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maymeesb
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This hotel was fabulous. Each room had the latest of everything, and was so tastefully done.They seemed to take care of the little things, like complimentary water bottles, fans above the bed, windows that open, an I-pod docking station, fireplaces in every room, and outside fire-pits and heat lamps, for sitting under the stars. The bathroom was more updated then mine at home, with the very latest decor. We can't wait to come back here next year.

Room Tip: the end rooms have spas in them. The third floor was great, as you could open the window and not wo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This was a last minute plan. The only time my daughters and I could get together to celebrate Mother's Day. Both my daughters were in college and had different times to be off and schedules. We decided to convene in Monterey since it was in the middle and no one would have to travel as far. WE WERE SOOO PLEASED WITH THIS DECISION AND WOULD NOT HESITATE TO RETURN! We even were able to upgrade our room! The place was lovely and comfortable and spacious and exactly what we wanted. Thank you for helping to make my mother's day so perfect!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My wife and I were taking a two day class in Monterey. We have stayed at different hotels over the years, but think the Mariposa will be the go to place when in the area. We had a great suite,with fireplace flat panel TV, very comfortable bed and nice furnishing. The decor was nice. The staff were very helpful and friendly. It had none of the big impersonnal hotel feel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My family and I travel down to the Monterey Peninsula at least twice a year to visit family. I've stayed at the hotels in Carmel, downtown Monterey and on the Cannery but I always find myself back at the Mariposa. One major perk for the Mariposa is the free parking, It's a $15.00 nightly fee in downtown Monterey and $25.00 on the Cannery. I've been side swiped in Carmel, so I appreciate the parking at Mariposa.

I've only stayed in the townhouse suites so this review would primarily be for those rooms. It's perfect for families. Two bathrooms, a king bed upstairs, two FULL bathrooms, a murphy bed downstairs, living room, 2 flat screen TVs, fire place, and two BATHROOMS! (I travel with a teenage girl so having an extra bathroom is a HUGE plus in my book!)

It's located on a main road, with a shopping center / movie theatre across the street. It's in between downtown Monterey and Carmel and not to far from the airport.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank missjos
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I booked this hotel as a birthday gift weekend trip in Monterey for my husband. The reviews I read before booking, and photos on the website are accurate. The hotel is lovely, the staff is wonderful, and the price makes it very affordable, especially for families.

My husband and I took our dog because we read the hotel allows pets to stay for a fee. Unfortunately, we didn't realize we couldn't leave her in the room. Luckily, it worked out fine with our plans. It would be nice if they made an allowance for dogs to remain in the room with a fee charged if the pet does any damage.

We checked into our room which should have been a KIng, but we were given the smallest room on the property. I know this because when I spoke with Joy, the manager, (after returning home) regarding our room situation she told me that it was not the room we had paid for. The manager, Joy is incredibly professional and accommodating. After apologizing for the mix-up, she offered to refund us the pet fee for 2 nights. I thought that was commendable given the fact that many businesses don't make such offers so quickly, and they don't do so without being asked.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in Monterey in a safe hotel, that is very pet and family friendly, and where the staff treats the guests like guests.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family