“Great Monterey Hotel”

Mariposa Inn and Suites
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Upon arrival at this hotel I thought I was going to be extremely disappointed. From the initial glance at the main entrance it looks like they put a nice coat of paint on an old, 60's style motel. I was prepared for the worst. But once you round the first corner at the entrance and see the hotel in its entirety, you see that it does have charm and appears very well taken care of.

At check in our room was not ready, so we came back after 4pm and the front desk clerk was very personable and welcoming. From my initial judgment of the exterior, things were starting to look a bit better. I then noticed the posted, and seemingly very strict, No Party Policy, essentially saying, 'Act stupid and loud, we call the police and evict you immediately'. I was starting to like this hotel more and more by the minute. (I have stayed in the area during large race weekends at Laguna Seca, and things can get rowdy).

Once we arrived at our room I was extremely impressed. The room was decorated very nice, modern but very comfortable, had a gas fireplace, and was spotless. The bed was comfortable, with quality linens and pillows. Large wall mounted flat screen TV, microwave, and small refrigerator. Our night was very quiet, some road noise, but not bad enough to lose sleep over. Breakfast was decent, the bare essentials to fuel your day, and the staff was very welcoming. For an outstanding breakfast there are no shortages of restaurants in the area that will accommodate you. All in all the stay was great and I will return to this hotel. Much cheaper than some options in the area, but you wouldnt know it by staying there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aremy
There are newer reviews for Mariposa Inn and Suites

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Our experience in this Inn/Suite was less than what the pictures promise. From the beginning we were lied to when we called to get a room. We were told non existed. Minutes later we booked a room on line. At check-in, we were greeted as if our reservation was an issue, and given the worst room ever. It was room 102-Very small (smaller than on-line pics portray), refurbished moldy smell, ragged flooring, stains on ceiling, air/heating unit not working, located on the noisy front street, poor parking, and unfriendly front office greeting and support. The walls are paper thin, and you should prepare to wake up at 8:00am when the cleaning team arrives, as you will hear everything including the vaccum and your neigbor showering. We were not thanked at all for choosing the location or suffering through it. After reading this honest review, should you choose to stay with out discount, just know you were worned...We will never stay there again!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd or 3rd floor near the pool might be better. Do not get rooms located near the street.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TD P
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Wonderful service, rooms and advice! Breakfast was yummy!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We picked the Mariposa from their website, and made our reservation over the telephone.
Michele was very efficient and gave us a wonderful room, more than we ever expected for the cost. Their location was perfect for our stay in Monterey. Good restaurants were near by and easy access to major highways. Normal continental breakfasts are average, but their's was well above average. Bagels, muffins, cereals, fresh fruit, juices, coffee, and plenty of good danishes along with a service staff member there during the entire breakfast time. Had the opportunity to meet their General Manager who was very helpful with our questions about Monterey and other information related to our California Trip. Before leaving California, we actually made another reservation for our return trip from Santa Barbara to San Francisco.

Room Tip: Corner suite is always good. There is traffic, but we were not bothered by it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here for two nights after being given a gift certificate for 2 free nights in a spa suite. When we arrived the woman at the front desk was very nice and welcoming. When we arrived in our room it was beautiful, like new, with a spa, fireplace, flatscreen and double shower. Our two nights here were nice, the beds were comfortable and cozy. The morining breakfast was also good. When it came time to check out MONDAY morning, my husband had told me check out was at noon. When I got up at 11am I thought I would just double check, and of course checkout was not a noon but at 11am. Since we wanted to shower before our trip home my husband called and asked if we could have a little extra time in the room since we got check out times mixed up. The woman at the desk said no, there is no late check out, that we could probably stretch it a couple of minutes but that we really needed to leave now. So of course my husband and I rushed to get out of the place before we were charged. Upon reviewing the confirmation I saw that the room we were staying in was a $359/night room. I understand it was our mistake that we mixed up the check out time, and since we were staying here for free I did not have such an issue with being "kicked out." However, if I had paid $359/night I would have been very upset that the hotel would not even give us an hour or so to freshen up before our trip home (it was a Monday in October with no special events so I have a hard time believing it was booked up and they needed the room ASAP). Overall we left with feeling lousy and with a bad taste in our mouth about the hotel which otherwise would have gotten rave reviews.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maymeesb
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This hotel was fabulous. Each room had the latest of everything, and was so tastefully done.They seemed to take care of the little things, like complimentary water bottles, fans above the bed, windows that open, an I-pod docking station, fireplaces in every room, and outside fire-pits and heat lamps, for sitting under the stars. The bathroom was more updated then mine at home, with the very latest decor. We can't wait to come back here next year.

Room Tip: the end rooms have spas in them. The third floor was great, as you could open the window and not wo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This was a last minute plan. The only time my daughters and I could get together to celebrate Mother's Day. Both my daughters were in college and had different times to be off and schedules. We decided to convene in Monterey since it was in the middle and no one would have to travel as far. WE WERE SOOO PLEASED WITH THIS DECISION AND WOULD NOT HESITATE TO RETURN! We even were able to upgrade our room! The place was lovely and comfortable and spacious and exactly what we wanted. Thank you for helping to make my mother's day so perfect!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family