“Wonderful!”

Mariposa Inn and Suites
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I traveled with my mom and sister in law for a trip to the aquarium. We only stayed one night. Upon arrival we were greeted by Tamra, she was also the person who checked us out the next morning. Tamra was very friendly and professional. We were very pleased with our room, we had two queen beds and a fireplace. The room was spacious and very clean. We were facing the street, but It didn't seem to be and issue for us.. We left to the aquarium and cannery row, next we grabbed a bite to eat and to watch a 7:30pm movie. When we returned to the hotel as we were in the hallway going to our room the smell was horrible. We entered our room and it was worse.It didn't take us very long to realize the idiots next to us were smoking pot.My poor mother was freaking out. This is a no party, non smoking hotel.I immediately went to the reception to complain and ask to be moved elsewhere. The gentleman on the night shifts. name was Oscar. He was also very friendly and professional. He told me that there were no two queen romms available only a room with a king bed. I explained to him that my mother was very upset and I didn't care if all three of use slept on one king bed, but that we really needed to be moved. He then offered use a room on the third floor. This room was an executive suite and it was really nice. It had a room upstairs with a king bed an a seperate bathoom, a flat screen TV and chase sofa. Downstairs there was a murfy bed, sofa, flatscreen TV another restroom. It was so beautiful. We asked Oscar to light up the fireplace outside and
mt sister in law a I took our wine bottle and some snacks and were out there chatting untill about 10:45pm, this is when Oscar came out to turn off the fireplace as the pool area is supposed to close about 10:00pm I think. Thank you so much Oscar for giving us extra time to use the fireplace area outside. We had wonderful stay, I will recommend this hotel to family and friends and will return. I do hope the idiots who were smoking were fined the $250.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool area.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AnitaBakersfield_Ca

Reviewed 2 November 2011

We requested a nice suite room, which were paying $$$ for it. Instead we got a handicap room which had an old bathroom, was dirty and had a shower curtain to small to reach the floor. When taking a shower, the whole bathroom would get wet and slippery, because the water would splash all over the tile floor. The rest of the bathroom facilities were rusted and had dirty soap holders.

The worst thing were the bed bugs. The next morning we woke up with lots of bites and as of today, we are still getting over the itching and discomfort of them. The staff didn't do anything about it and had little to say about the bedroom situation.

Not recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Manolo Z
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I was impressed with this hotel after staying at Portola Hotel. We got the larger king suites for $143 a night compared to the Travel Zoo special at Portola for the same price. But no parking fee is charged here versus paying $17 per day at the P. Rooms are way better and larger ! The shopping mall across the street has it all. Breakfast buffet is just enough starting at 7am but oatmeal is made by you adding your own hot water. Coffee and bagels with bananas will hold me over fine. I will say when coming back from Salinas on Hwy 1, make sure you take the second exit and not the first Monterey exit to the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for the larger suites. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DRDU
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Recently had a 4 night stay at this hotel. We were traveling with three adults and two young children. The townhouse suite was perfect for us. The morning breakfast worked out great, saved a lot of hassle and money. Location is great, huge shopping center across the street, easy to pick up food to bring back to the room.. Minutes from Cannery Row, and the Aquarium.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank psw100
Reviewed 27 October 2011

This was our first trip to the West Coast--we're New Englanders. We stayed at the Mariposa Inn for just one evening. We were driving down the Pacific Coast Highway to San Simeon, thinking we could do the drive in just one day from San Francisco, but decided to stay the night in Monterey. We had several hotels on our list, all from reviews on Trip Advisor, and decided to stay here. We called for a reservation at 5:00 p.m. and Mariposa offered us a discount for the evening. The hotel was very nice. Our room was very clean and big and had a fireplace in it--a nice bonus since it was a little cool that evening. The bed/pillows were very comfortable! Although we didn't use it, the pool area was nice and there was an outdoor fireplace if you wished to use it. If you travel with a pet, there are pet friendly rooms and an area on the property where you can exercise/"toilet" your pet. The staff was very welcoming and helpful and the continental breakfast was very good--fresh fruit, cereals, yogurt, breads, bagels, muffins. The breakfast room was small, but we were able to sit at a table--we were up early, about 7:30 a.m. You can always bring your breakfast back to your room, since there was a table/chairs in our room. If we are ever in the area again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tlcrbc
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Upon arrival at this hotel I thought I was going to be extremely disappointed. From the initial glance at the main entrance it looks like they put a nice coat of paint on an old, 60's style motel. I was prepared for the worst. But once you round the first corner at the entrance and see the hotel in its entirety, you see that it does have charm and appears very well taken care of.

At check in our room was not ready, so we came back after 4pm and the front desk clerk was very personable and welcoming. From my initial judgment of the exterior, things were starting to look a bit better. I then noticed the posted, and seemingly very strict, No Party Policy, essentially saying, 'Act stupid and loud, we call the police and evict you immediately'. I was starting to like this hotel more and more by the minute. (I have stayed in the area during large race weekends at Laguna Seca, and things can get rowdy).

Once we arrived at our room I was extremely impressed. The room was decorated very nice, modern but very comfortable, had a gas fireplace, and was spotless. The bed was comfortable, with quality linens and pillows. Large wall mounted flat screen TV, microwave, and small refrigerator. Our night was very quiet, some road noise, but not bad enough to lose sleep over. Breakfast was decent, the bare essentials to fuel your day, and the staff was very welcoming. For an outstanding breakfast there are no shortages of restaurants in the area that will accommodate you. All in all the stay was great and I will return to this hotel. Much cheaper than some options in the area, but you wouldnt know it by staying there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aremy
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Our experience in this Inn/Suite was less than what the pictures promise. From the beginning we were lied to when we called to get a room. We were told non existed. Minutes later we booked a room on line. At check-in, we were greeted as if our reservation was an issue, and given the worst room ever. It was room 102-Very small (smaller than on-line pics portray), refurbished moldy smell, ragged flooring, stains on ceiling, air/heating unit not working, located on the noisy front street, poor parking, and unfriendly front office greeting and support. The walls are paper thin, and you should prepare to wake up at 8:00am when the cleaning team arrives, as you will hear everything including the vaccum and your neigbor showering. We were not thanked at all for choosing the location or suffering through it. After reading this honest review, should you choose to stay with out discount, just know you were worned...We will never stay there again!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd or 3rd floor near the pool might be better. Do not get rooms located near the street.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple