“Ok Overall, a few small quirks”

Mariposa Inn and Suites
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Overall, this hotel is a good value. Had a double queen room. Clean, comfy. Friendly staff.

Pros: Near tourist sites, right off freeway exit 399. Across street from huge mall.
Cons: Shower water pressure/temperature erratic. My room was facing the street so was noisy at night. Walls a bit thin. No automatic thermostat so had to wake up at night to turn on/off the heat.

Room Tip: avoid facing the street!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 November 2011

We thought the hotel was very nice, the rooms very well maintained, one of the nicest we have stayed at and also very affordable. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The assistant at the front desk upgraded us for free to a very nice suite, since it was later in the evening when we checked in and the suite was still free. It was a very nice gesture and something she did not have to do at all.
The grounds of the hotel were very pretty, with very nice sitting areas, beautiful tropical landscaping and pool and hot tub area. The continental breakfast (with for us was included in the prices) was one of the most tasty continental breakfast we have had. The location of this hotel was very good also, very close to Monterey attractions.
I think I am a little hard to please and both my husband and I were very pleased with our stay at this hotel. We will definitely stay at this hotel again when we visit Monterey and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Enjoyed our 3 day stay here in a 2 Queen with Fireplace (or 2 King, I've forgotten) very much being part of long driving holiday through Oregon and California - in fact from a value for money perspective this ranked right up there. I'm not sure the outside and surrounds of the Inn quite matches up to the web photos but the pool, hot tub and numerous sitting areas were very pleasant nevertheless. Rooms were very modern and well done with the bathroom just fair - everything was always very clean. Wasn't too sure about the location when we booked and looked at a number of more expensive places near Cannery Row and over in the quieter areas of Pacific Grove (Asilomar).. The location turned out to be a bonus with the Del Monte centre offering some excellent shopping - picked up some excellent clothing bargains at Macy's with driving in and around Monterey very easy. Breakfast was reasonable but not great (although I never eat the cooked items) with the room fairly small. We loved Monterey (aquarium was smaller but better than I expected), Pacific Grove and Carmel (even more charming than I imagined) which may have influenced my view of the Mariposa but I'd happily recommend it to anyone. Our boys loved DTM Park and I'd highly recommend watching the bagpiper play at the Spanish Inn at dusk over a glass of red!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2011

My husband, old dog, and myself were enjoying our stay here last month until one of the staff involved in "managing the property" (as he explained to me) yelled at me while I was walking my dog. He followed me into the pet area, telling me my dog was suffering and needed to be put down and he would be happy to call his vet to come that night and do it. I was mortified by his bullying and when we got home the next day, I emailed the "general manager" whose name is on the inn's business card. I never heard back. I would never feel safe staying here again.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Bonnie B
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I traveled with my mom and sister in law for a trip to the aquarium. We only stayed one night. Upon arrival we were greeted by Tamra, she was also the person who checked us out the next morning. Tamra was very friendly and professional. We were very pleased with our room, we had two queen beds and a fireplace. The room was spacious and very clean. We were facing the street, but It didn't seem to be and issue for us.. We left to the aquarium and cannery row, next we grabbed a bite to eat and to watch a 7:30pm movie. When we returned to the hotel as we were in the hallway going to our room the smell was horrible. We entered our room and it was worse.It didn't take us very long to realize the idiots next to us were smoking pot.My poor mother was freaking out. This is a no party, non smoking hotel.I immediately went to the reception to complain and ask to be moved elsewhere. The gentleman on the night shifts. name was Oscar. He was also very friendly and professional. He told me that there were no two queen romms available only a room with a king bed. I explained to him that my mother was very upset and I didn't care if all three of use slept on one king bed, but that we really needed to be moved. He then offered use a room on the third floor. This room was an executive suite and it was really nice. It had a room upstairs with a king bed an a seperate bathoom, a flat screen TV and chase sofa. Downstairs there was a murfy bed, sofa, flatscreen TV another restroom. It was so beautiful. We asked Oscar to light up the fireplace outside and
mt sister in law a I took our wine bottle and some snacks and were out there chatting untill about 10:45pm, this is when Oscar came out to turn off the fireplace as the pool area is supposed to close about 10:00pm I think. Thank you so much Oscar for giving us extra time to use the fireplace area outside. We had wonderful stay, I will recommend this hotel to family and friends and will return. I do hope the idiots who were smoking were fined the $250.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool area.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AnitaBakersfield_Ca
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We requested a nice suite room, which were paying $$$ for it. Instead we got a handicap room which had an old bathroom, was dirty and had a shower curtain to small to reach the floor. When taking a shower, the whole bathroom would get wet and slippery, because the water would splash all over the tile floor. The rest of the bathroom facilities were rusted and had dirty soap holders.

The worst thing were the bed bugs. The next morning we woke up with lots of bites and as of today, we are still getting over the itching and discomfort of them. The staff didn't do anything about it and had little to say about the bedroom situation.

Not recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Manolo Z
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I was impressed with this hotel after staying at Portola Hotel. We got the larger king suites for $143 a night compared to the Travel Zoo special at Portola for the same price. But no parking fee is charged here versus paying $17 per day at the P. Rooms are way better and larger ! The shopping mall across the street has it all. Breakfast buffet is just enough starting at 7am but oatmeal is made by you adding your own hot water. Coffee and bagels with bananas will hold me over fine. I will say when coming back from Salinas on Hwy 1, make sure you take the second exit and not the first Monterey exit to the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for the larger suites. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple