“Great Value! Highly Recommend!”

Mariposa Inn and Suites
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I recently stayed here for 1 night, 3/20/12. I had spent a few hours looking at all the Monterey hotes and decided to stay at Mariposa. What a great choice. Our stay started off very well thanks to Tamara at the front desk. We were arriving to Monterey around noon so I called to see if they could accommodate me by letting us check in early. Tamara answered and said our room wasn't ready yet but she would be willing to call us when it was. She called about 1:30pm and said it was ready, great service! The hotel is a little far from the main attractions like the aquariam and cannery row but an easy 5 minute drive. The hotel grounds are very well kept and the parking is underground. We were very satisfied with our room. The king size bed is on the firm side. We had a fireplace, flat screen tv, microwave, fridge and ihome dock. The bathroom was very nice as well and included granite counters and a vessel sink. Only one minor drawback was the loud construction noise from 9am-6pm, the hotel was being renovated so this is most likely a limited time issue. Overall great hotel and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Request a room not too close to the hallway door, it shuts pretty loudly.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 February 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at Mariposa and I can't believe the value. The first time I had a wonderful boutique room complete with a fireplace. However, this time I have a suite and it is literally an apartment...2 stories with a fireplace, 2 full baths, fridge, safe, microwave, and all very tastefully decorated. Also free internet and breakfast, all for about $100/night. No fitness center but they will give you complimentary passes to a local gym. The hotel is located right across from the Del Monte shopping center and is also within walking distance (about 15 min) from downtown Monterey. This is the best kept secret on the peninsula.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank caseyerau
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This has to be the best boutique hotel in Monterey. I called to book later in the evening and the gentlemen at the desk gave me an awesome discounted rate. I wasn't expecting much as I drive in. It was pretty and clean on the outside but when I walked into the room. My eyelids popped off. It was gorgeous. We had a living room. A beautiful bathroom which has inspired us in decorating our own. When we entered the bedroom. We noticed we had a working fireplace. The beds were super duper comfy. And totally clean. We met the guy that ran the hotel with his wife downstairs. He was super nice and made small conversation with us. We ordered Pappa johns at 1 in the morning and took some juice and coffee for the road. When or if I go to Monterey again. I am definetly staying in the Mariposa. I felt snug as a catipilar in a Crysalis.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank LisaanDevin
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed 2 nights - 1/17/12 & 1/18/12. Staff was very friendly and helpful, including fixing my reservation error in a gracious manner. Room was very nice, we especially enjoyed the room's fireplace. Room was clean and well appointed. Have stayed in hotels from Tokyo to Toronto and will stay here again on our next visit to Monterrey. We did not use the pool or hot tub, but based on our needs of a clean, well appointed room, we would recommend the Mariposa.

Room Tip: Bring a night light
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed here for a short vacation over the New Years. We payed a good price for a 'Deluxe Double Queen' room - including free breakfast. The hotel is quite small, but the rooms and facilities are spacious and clean. It has a decent sized pool and gym.

Pros:
The staff are nice and helpful, it's in an ideal location (close to Old Fisherman's Wharf and right across the street from a shopping center), we payed a fairly good price (extra for microwave and refrigerator), the breakfast is decent, beds are comfy, each room has a cozy fireplace to keep you warm :)

Cons:
Small parking/ parking garage, the walls are thin (the voices from our neighbors in other rooms kept us up all night), the water temperature in the shower changes from super hot to really cold, the heater is loud, the hotel doesn't provide shuttle services :(

Room Tip: 1. Get a room on a high floor (floor 2/3) towards the end of the hall if you want a quiet stay. 2...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank A K

Starting with the good:
The hotel location is great near the renovated mall, downtown, the aquarium. I took all the hints from tripadvisor to stay on the top floor, away from the main road. This all worked out well. The suites are spacious and the amenities are nice like the free breakfast and parking. Went during the weekday so it was quiet and a good stay. Much of the room was well decorated and we loved the King room with fireplace.

The ugly: The walls are paper thin, there was mold in our bathroom (I told the front desk as we checked out and they said they would look into it...bummer nothing was offered because of that, and I have asthma too) See pictures. The service seemed ok, as the lady in the front was not super welcoming and the next morning after we discovered the mold she seemed to be indifferent.

Room Tip: Upper floor, near the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alanbsun
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We were comfortable for our two day stay and the room was stylish and classy. The best thing about this hotel is the swimming pool, which is salinated (not chlorinated) and the perfect temperature and set off the road, and the hot tub which, although the tiles weren't perfect (there were some with chips) was very hot (104 degrees). We took a swim and a tub both mornings we were there, December 31 and January 1. What a great way to ring in the new year!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple