“One really sweet stay”

Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Plano, Texas
“One really sweet stay”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

These people are as friendly as any I have encountered in recent travels. We stayed two nights and our room was really nice. A full suite with sitting area as well as room with fireplace overlooking the pool. The rooms have recently been redecorated and they are tastefully done. The baths are extremely clean and modern. The breakfast was very good with a good selection of fruits, breads, cereals, pastries, etc. Great location close to the Cannery row and the 17 mile drive as well as Carmel. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

In our 3 week trip to California this summer, this was the only hotel which was a disappointment. Although the room itself was well decorated, comfortable and clean, the outside areas of the hotel were shabby and unkempt and looked nothing like the pics on the hotel website. The pool area in particular could have been lovely but instead was dirty with empty bottles, spillages and bird poo everywhere. It was ok for one night but I wouldn't have wanted to stay any longer than that.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dee_ree765
Ciudad Ojeda
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

I believe this is the first negative critique of a hotel that I have made. The hotel in itself looked nice and cozy. The problem is their personnel. The night we arrived (wife, two teenagers and I) at the hotel from L.A. at around 8:30pm we were told that Expedia had overbooked and that our room with two double beds was not available, the only room they could offer us was a king bed. It sounded like a lame excuse but we were really tired so we asked if they could bring a rollaway bed but they had none. The family that came after us were said the same thing. The only solution they gave them was to refund their money. The very rude and unapologetic Jennifer told them that they could go and stay at the Hyatt. The man told her he wasn't going to spend a fortune at a room at the Hyatt and he left. At this point I said if she could give us both rooms so the four of us could stay. She made a comment I felt like you don't know anything, this doesn't work this way. So I asked please to try to solve the problem for us, we were very tired and I couldn't even think straight. I asked her to please call Expedia for us to fix things up amongst them since I Didn't know what to do. She literally said "this is ridiculous" like it was not her job to solve the problem. Expedia luckily found a Holliday inn 15 minutes away. JENNIFER, YOU ARE IN THE HOSPITALITY BUSINESS, so if you and the manager don't want to be bothered with these kind of problems, don't blame Expedia and put your rooms for sale on their site.

Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Pagnanid
Voorhees, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed here on our road trip from San Francisco to San Diego. I was concerned when we pulled up....ugh a motel? really? Asked hubby what he was thinking....... but once we got into room I apologized. Room was clean and modern. we had a fireplace in the room which was a nice touch. Most importantly, our room and bathrooms were clean. I also liked the hardwood floors as hotel carpets give me the heeby jeebies :-( We only stayed for a night but if we had stayed for another would've gone to the outdoor sitting areas by the pool and out back on 2nd floor to sit with a glass of wine (maybe hubby could've had a cigar?)
Breakfast room was small but we got what we needed and sat outside. Lots of seagulls flying around....some even going thru the trash can in the outside eating area and taking food out. Nothing really they can do about that other than a lid ....... but it was a little off putting.
Would recommend for a night or two.....no longer.....

Room Tip: 2nd floor front corner.....room with fireplace. yes this is on a busy street corner, but we didn...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
San Francisco, Bay Area
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night in early August for a quick vacation to Monterey. We booked the townhouse suite which was pretty neat since it has an upstairs and a downstairs room. The kids really enjoyed running up and down the stairs and they loved the Murphy bed downstairs. Hubby and I appreciated the 2 bathrooms. Everything was clean. It was nice to have 2 tvs too. The check out time is 11am and check in is 3pm.

The hotel is nothing spectacular. It seems like all the hotels in Monterey are 3 star places that can charge high prices because of the location. It was nice to have free, covered parking. The breakfast was good. There was waffles, oatmeal, yogurt, pastries, and fruit and the usual drinks, coffee, tea, milk, juices. The room was very small though, so we took our food up to our room.

There is traffic noise because the property seems to be on the corner of two streets and there was a fair amount of traffic and you could hear it all the time.

This place was good for a short stay. Not sure if I would stay here next time, but it was nice to try it.

Room Tip: Liked the townhouse suite because it was two stories and you have no one above you.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a two-week vacation to California. This is one hotel where I feel that TripAdvisor let me down. Echoing previous reviewers, the hotel had a "shabby" feeling from the time we pulled up. So much so, that I pulled out my phone while waiting to check in and checked TripAdvisor to be sure that I hadn't booked it by mistake. The hotel has been renovated, but it seems they put new furnishings in an old building and forgot to update the rest. Fortunately, the small rooms and bedding appeared to be clean (else we wouldn't have stayed). But the place could definitely use some TLC. The hooks on our bathroom door were broken off, our room and hallway smelled of heavily-perfumed air freshener (leaving me to wonder what it was covering up) and the pool deck was covered in bird poop (see photo). I wouldn't let the kids swim in the pool. In summary, the Mariposa Inn was fine for a night, but I couldn't recommend or return.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I think the property is a 3-star, but there's some explanation needed...
For Monterey, if you want a hotel that's decent, you're going to get totally jacked on the price. For most of our trip, we stayed at these glorious 4/5-star hotels that had beautiful grounds and were very swanky, but ended up spending about 2-4 waking hours in the room, and 2-4 minutes lounging around outside the room. The property of Mariposa likely was a motel at some point in the past. They've done a lot to make it look nicer, but once a motel setup, always a motel setup. Having said that, there is a very nice jacuzzi and a pool, and heat lamps near a seating area, but it's still kind of motel-ish. BUT, the rooms inside were really nice (small, but very nice). Beautiful hardwood floors, nice king-sized bed, a little chaise ottoman concept on the side that probably is very ... multifunctional, and free wifi. And you get a free hot breakfast in the morning.

It's not gorgeous, but it does the job, and it's clean, and the inside of the rooms are really nice. If you want somewhere to stay that's affordable, you won't feel "ick" in, and is "Nice," stay here. May not be the place to bust out the romance (yes, even with the ottoman), but as a mid-point in a longer trip, it's absolutely worth it... and the money you save on the nightly fare can be applied towards phenomenal dining options earlier in the night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple