“Wonderful, modern Hotel with unexpected amenities”

Mariposa Inn and Suites
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My husband & I stayed at Mariposa Inn for my birthday. We were pleasantly greeted when we arrived & upgraded to one of the King Spa rooms. We knew it was going to be a great stay! We were blown away when we walked into our room, it was great! The rooms are very modern & clean. They have a heated outdoor pool & jacuzzi as well. There is a nice breakfast included. I would definitely recommend this hotel & plan to stay here again when I take my mom to Carmel for her 60th birthday.
The management has done a great job of upgrading this hotel, I would say it competes with the best of the 4 stay hotels in the area...it's definitely not a 2 star hotel!

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ohmslaw2

Reviewed 12 July 2009

Stayed here for one night in July 2009. Came a bit early, but that wasn't a problem at all. Even got a free upgrade to a room with fireplace by the very friendly clerk.

The room was pleasant, quite big and a nice bathroom. Our main concern was that there wasn't any A/C, but that turned out to be no problem. It was cool enough with a window pane open to have a good night's sleep. The continental breakfast was OK. Didn't have time to test the pool and hot tub, though.

The hotel is quite close to Hwy 1. Took us about 10 min to drive to Cannary Row and Montereay Bay Aquarium, so we felt a bit out in the woods. Fortunately there's a very nice shopping center (Del Monte Shopping Center) across the road, and there we found some great places to eat. The clerk recommended LALLA Grill, which was incredible! (At the cinema end of the Del Monte center.)

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2009

We arrived at the Mariposa two hours early after a very exhausting drive from Yosemite. Not only did they let us check in early, but they surprised us with a free upgrade to a townhouse suite. My boys walked in the room and and exclaimed, "This is awesome. I wish we could stay here longer." They really like the pull down Murphy Bed, fireplace, and flat screen TV. I appreciated the very warm and modern decor and SPACE! Little touches like H20 bath products, Wolfgang Puck coffee, and complimentary bottles of water were much appreciated. The free breakfast was varied and delicious. The next time we are in Monterey, we will definitely stay at the Mariposa.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2009

We showed up late, and were greeted by very friendly faces saying, "We've been waiting for you!" The room was a very nice size with beautiful decor and a great bathroom.Very cool sink. Reliable wireless internet. Wish we had time to take advantage of the pool and deck area. Good continental breakfast in the morning. No problems, great stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2009

The rooms had been renovated recently. All is new and clean. Room is a bit small (we stayed in a room with 1 king bed with no fireplace). The location is okay, it is closed to highway 1 and a few minutes drive to Cannery Row and old town.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked into my room at the Mariposa Inn. Not only was the staff accommodating by letting me check in two hours early, but they also gave me a free upgrade on the room. Everything about this place is unique and beautiful. All the other hotels on the strip have the pools near the street but here it is quietly tucked away. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for great value in a room.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I picked this hotel based on other reviews I read on TripAdvisor and I was very happy with my choice! In the very over-priced and expensive Monterey area, the Mariposa had the only reasonable rates with a touch of modern elegance. Our room was small....the king bed didn't leave much floor space available...but full of unexpected amenities. At every turn I could see the thought and care taken into providing comfort to their guests: bathrobes, soft sheets, extra blankets, ipod player alarm clock, etc. I was quite surprised at the amount of goodies they were able to pack into the small room.

The bed was quite comfortable and noise from the road was not a problem. What I particularly liked was the skylight in the ceiling. Again, thinking about their guests' comfort: the main window in the room looks out onto the walkway in the bog-standard motel style, so one is able to close the curtains for privacy yet still have lots of natural light flowing into the room. Just great!

The staff were friendly and helpful. I didn't swim in the pool yet it looked inviting.

Overall, a very pleasant stay for a very decent price.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends