“Our home away from home!”

Mariposa Inn and Suites
Ranked #32 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Texas
“Our home away from home!”
Reviewed 29 July 2009

My husband, teenage son, and I stayed at Mariposa Inn while vacationing in the Monterey area the first part of June. I had booked a room w/ two queen beds, but upon arrival we were thrilled to see that we had been upgraded to a townhouse suite! What an awesome surprise! Little did we know how much we would appreciate having the extra space to spread out. In fact, we added an extra night to our stay because we were so comfy at the Inn.

We loved the location...very close to everything we planned to see while in the area. In addition, we were within walking distance to a fantastic shopping center which had restaurants, shopping, and a Whole Foods grocery. We LOVED having that all so close. My husband enjoyed walking over early in the mornings to get his Starbuck's and then sitting out by the pool back at the Inn. The breakfast provided plenty to get you going. Perfect, especially, for my son.

We appreciated the helpful staff who recommended restaurants and helped us with directions. The housekeeping staff did a great job, and we appreciated the restocked shampoo/soap etc.on a daily basis. The grounds at Mariposa were well-manicured and full of beautiful plants and flowers. The pool area and sitting areas were kept extremely clean and there were never any "rowdy" crowds disturbing the relaxing atmosphere. There was also covered parking for our vehicle.

I noticed someone mentioned the combination fan/light in the restrooms and I agree that is the ONLY little suggestion I would have for making this place be absolutely perfect. Would it prevent me from returning? Absolutely NOT! I'd return right now, if I could. I can't say enough about this great place and how much it added to our stay in Monterey.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank TexasScrapbookGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Great hotel in a great location and great service. Much nicer that we had expected giving the reasonable price of this place. Our room was great, the maid service was perfect, the front desk people very helpful. Nice continental breakfast every morning. Very quiet all day and night. The location was perfect. Out of the hustle and bustle of the beach front resorts (but only a mile away) and right next to the CA1 freeway entrances for trips out of town, 17 mile drive, Camel, etc. Would return without question. The only flaw- and I hate to be picky (but I hope the hotel staff reads this) is that the fan in the bathroom and the light are on one switch. Thus, you must listen to the loud fan if you turn on the light in the bathroom! Annoying, especially at night! Thanks Mariposa Inn!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
KY
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We stayed at Mariposa for 4 days while visiting Monterey. This is a lovely hotel. I notice the poorer reviews are older. This hotel has been totally renovated. Our room was spotless and had the amenities of a 4 star hotel. The rates were very reasonable. The decor is new, slightly Asian in theme. The only drawback was the size of our room. It was quite small. They do have larger rooms available. If I go back and stay for any period of time longer that 1 night I will book a large room. The location is great, near 17 mile drive, across the street from a large shopping center for any retail needs you may have.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Really impressed by this hotel. Very nice rooms with all amenities, large flat screen TV and dressing gowns a notable feature. The whole site looks to have been renovated recently and is very nicely done, we especially enjoyed the pool area.

Free WIFI was great too.

1 Thank Jez200London
Cork
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We stayed in the Mariposa Inn twice on our road trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles and back. The place is beautiful and perfectly located just a very short distance to the main attractions in Monterey. The hotel has a jacuzzi, swimming pool, outside fires, eating areas and is very, very quiet. The rooms are great with inside fireplaces, needed sometimes as it can be chilly at night in Monterey. The beds are so comfy you won't want to get up and the staff were extremely efficent and very friendly. Stay here, it is a beautiful hotel! Don't forget to visit the Del Monte Shopping Centre complex walking distance across the road. It has great shops and a great cinema. Check out Wholefoods, the best supermarked I have ever been in for fantastic food, you won't be disappointed. The hotel is situated just off highway 1 with the 17-mile drive just minutes away and Carmel less than 10 minutes away. A gem of a place!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 20 July 2009

My wife and I stayed at Mariposa Inn for one night. We recommend you request a room on the third floor; we had room 214 where the floorboards squeaked whenever the people in the room above us moved around, and they were busy, busy, busy. We noticed that the toilet was right next to the bathroom door, so if anyone opened the bathroom door suddenly, he might knock his partner off the toilet. While sitting on the toilet, I imagined that if my wife should forget and open the door suddenly, just for effect, I would remember to let out a terrified scream before going splat on the bathroom floor.

We received a wi-fi password when we checked in, and the signal was quite strong in our room. Our bedroom overlooking the pool and deck had a large king size bed facing a large flat screen TV and a fireplace with a gas burner. The writing desk had an electric outlet in the base of the lamp so it was easy to use a computer. The bathroom was large with good fluffy towels and a mirror with a fluorescent circle in the middle of it. We loved the sitting room by the front door because it had a good refrigerator with a strong freezer, coffee making set, sofa and TV. The complimentary breakfast included generous cartons of yoghurt, bagels, delicious croissants and rolls, cereals, and juices.

The Mariposa provides pretty good value lodging in a fine location right across Munras Avenue from the Del Monte Shopping Center. It was clear the hotel tried to provide quiet enjoyment for guests. They have a great policy: guests holding a party in their room are subject to immediate eviction without refund. We felt the romance of a night in Mariposa, erasing the cares of the day in the sanctuary of our dark room, watching the long shadows cast by the dancing fire, listening to soft classical music on the radio, with our busy, busy neighbors pacing overhead on squeaky, squeaky floorboards.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Great hotel. Stayed here for 1 night in June. Woman on reception was very helpful when we asked for suggestions on where to eat. We were in a king-sized room on 2nd floor. Both the bedroom & bathroom had skylights in the roof but we weren't bothered by the early morning light at all. Room was quite close to the main road but no problems with traffic noise. Bedroom had a king-sized bed plus a chaise longue to sit on. Breakfast was simple (pastries, toast, fruit, yoghurt) but delicious. I'm not a big fan of Danishes but I'd go back just for those! Small indoor seating area with patio where you could eat, or there were trays so you could take your food back to your room. Would definately stay here again.