Monterey Marriott
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Aquarium package was an overall great deal with breakfast buffet included. The staff was very kind, The room was comfy and clean. The breakfast buffet did the trick so we didnt have to go out in the morning. The location was great just a short walk to the wharf and cannary row. The valet parking was costly but very handy and fast service. I will be going back as soon as I can. Also nice pool, hot tub and fitness room that I did not take advantage of.

• Stayed: October 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,341)

Reviewed 23 October 2011

My sister was at a conference at this location and I joined her for a long weekend. We loved the location, the staff was really friendly and compared to the other hotels, the price was great. The beds wwre really comfortable and the rooms were a nice size. The only complaint is that the bath towels were thin, over worn and over washed. Defintely need to be replaced. The concierge was a doll!

Reviewed 19 October 2011

I Just checked out of the Marriot in Monterey CA. It has a very nice location, just next door to the convention center, and a block or so away to Fisherman’s Wharf. There is lot's to do close by but everything is going to cost you.
The Hotel is an older property but it is fairly well maintained. Our room had new carpet, a flat screen TV, and a nice vanity area. The width of the room was comfortable owing in part to the two double beds instead of Kings. The shower was nice and hot, and clean but it was located in a funky closet with the toilet with a sliding door that made too much noise to close at night so as to not wake your roomies. It was dark in there. The bedding was comfortable and the room was quiet.
The biggest pain was the lack of Wi-Fi in the room. There was ethernet available for 12.95 a day, and it was OK but only one person at a time could access it. there was spotty occasional Wi-Fi in the lobby and convention area. But better Wi-Fi was available in almost every cafe and eatery right across the street. Really, there is no excuse for a hotel of this caliber and at this price range not to have Wi-Fi available in the room. it was a major inconvenience. I've stayed in $45.00 La Quinta Inn's that did better on this score, and actually were more enjoyable places to stay as a result. The room cost $200 per night at a discounted convention rate. Add in the taxes, and Wi-Fi and it was closer to $250.00 per night. The service was OK, but I really don't need someone to open the front door for me all every time I go in and out.
Parking will cost 20 a day for valet service. They do this because their parking is in a garage under the hotel and there isn't enough room down there to park yourself. This made getting your car a little inconvenient, and made keeping stuff in the car difficult. It also made me uncomfortable every time I got my car, not being sure if the valet expected a tip. They didn't get one, except on the last day. That would get REALLY expensive REALLY fast to tip every time you drove somewhere.
They have an exercise room that was actually well used. They had a decent set of free weights, unusual for a hotel. The aerobic equipment was old and poorly maintained. Only one of the three elliptical trainers worked, and that one was wobbly. Each had a TV and they had complimentary earphones you could have to listen with. They also had a water cooler with bottled water for free (the only things complimentary in the whole place). The pool was right outside the exercise room and suitable for lap swimming. The only time I wanted to soak in the spa, it was closed (and remained closed for half the stay). If you stay here, you may prefer jogging to using this room. I had a jog along the waterfront from the hotel room, all the way down to the end of Canary Row and it was about 3 miles round trip.
But the location really was nice. There were downtown cafe's and eateries (the ones the locals use) just a block away. My favorite coffee spot was right across the street (and had free Wi-Fi - Lumiere Cafe). You could, conceivable walk all the way to Cannery Row but you're looking at a 3 mile round trip. For the price you’re better off at the Portola hotel next door; it has a much more relaxed atmosphere and was slightly closer to the Wharf.

Reviewed 19 October 2011

If you enjoy having your door opened for you and nice hot showers, this hotel is recommended. Otherwise, prepare to pay a lot of money (we paid 210 at conference rates) for uncomfortable beds, weird, noisy sliding pocket doors for the bathrooms, NO WIRELESS in the rooms and slow to no wireless in the lobby and a spa that is 'down' every time you want to use it. To be fair the service was very good and the desk staff were great. But the room internet was wired ethernet for 12.95 per 24 hours. The conference rooms, where I attended meetings, did not have wireless. The conference promoters had to rig it up themselves.

We were very disappointed in the quality of the rooms for the price. We would have done better at a Holiday Inn Express or La Quinta Inn.

Room Tip: We were on the fifth floor, and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Usually we are really willing to pay the price for a nice hotel but Cannery Row was insane. Completely overpriced for partially run down places. So we quit looking for a waterfront place and checked in the Marriott. As platinum card holder we got an upgrade to one of the executive suites. The advantage staying at a chain hotel is that you know what you get.
In this case typically Marriott: clean, spacy, nice service but on the other hand nothing extraordinary.
The hotel is located only a 5 min foot walk away from the waterfront and therefore close to restaurants and shops.
Overall we had a really nice stay and after all paid half the price we would have paid on Cannery Row.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I stayed here on October 5, 2011. I have to agree with all the other reviewers who comment on the need for a renovation. Yes, the decor is a bit dated, but the rooms, beds and linens are just as fresh,clean, and comfortable as any other Marriott I have stayed in. What they lack in trendy furnishings, they make up for in service. Upon checking in, I was greeted and thanked by the manager who handed me a personal letter about my stay. I inquired about a concierge lounge and he told me they didn't have one, but the letter contained a pass for a complimentary breakfast buffet in the restuarant, (which is much better than the concierge lounge breakfast). I jokingly asked about the evening deserts that I normally get in the lounge and he immediately offered to have something sent up to my room. I didn't take him up on the offer, but it was a great gesture!

Internet was free for Elite members but $13 for a WIRED connection (no wi-fi) for regular guest, leaving many iPads and tablets quiet for the evening.
Parking is valet only ($20) and the valets were fast and friendly. Could probably have found cheaper parking (there was a $4 public lot about 4 blocks away) but it was raining and not worth the hassle or security.

1  Thank jmtrup
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Stayed here two nights on business and while servicable, this is not a memorable place. We arrived about 11pm after a long ride from SF, the staff looked more tired than we were. I needed car service to San Jose AP and was told to leave 5, are you kidding me, hours before the flight.??
We retired to our very average room. I was on the top floor with a odd little porch. It looked out over town. The room was dated but ok. Small bath with separate sink area. OK, barely. The room I was in had the headboard against the hallway. For those in the hotel business, take note, this is not a good thing. Every time someone closed the door on our side of the hall it woke me up, and I am a sound sleeper, ask my wife.
Lobby is cold and cavernous. Elevators were old, time for a renovation.
Fortunately the staff in the moring was way more helpful, three hours was plenty.to SJ and nice bellman arranged a car service that worked out well the next day.
I would try another place next time we stay in Montery, there are no bargains.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business