“Excellent Hotel in Downtown Monterey”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I first want to say that the hotel's front desk staff went above and beyond in accommodating my friends and I. The room was recently renovated with top of the line linens and furniture. The room size was slightly larger than an average room and the view was incredible! The room was also one of the cleanest hotel rooms I have ever been in, and looked to be recently renovated. The only bad thing I have to say about this hotel is that the pool and spa were closed due to renovations on the 2nd floor. The front desk told me I could walk over to the hotel across the street and use their pool and spa facilities, but when its 40 degrees outside its not that convenient. Once the renovations are complete, this hotel will be the best place to stay in Monterey,CA

Room Tip: ask for a recently renovated room on a high floor to get a great view
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank FsuTraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed 16 December 2011

We were planning a trip to the Monterey Aquarium, so I decided to use priceline.com "name your price" feature to find a hotel room. The website came back with this hotel for $100 a night, so I figured we would give it a try for that low price.
The hotel is located in downtown Monterey, a quick walk to the wharf, but you will have to drive to Cannery Row or the Aquarium. You can also purchase your aquarium tickets from the concierge, which was very nice.
There are no self-parking options, so be prepared to pay for valet parking. I did not mind since we got such a deal on the nightly rate. Check-in was lovely and they gave my 2-year-old a cute sea animal, which pleased him to no end.
We were in a king room, which had been recently renovated. The room itself was clean and lovely, with a great view, but I was a bit disappointed with the bathroom. It was clean, but I would not call it renovated.
The walls seemed a bit thin, as we could hear conversations in the hallway quite clearly and we could hear voices next door as well. I did not let it bother me, but I think I would have been more bothered had I paid full price for the room!
Our overall experience was not negative and we had a perfectly pleasant stay for the price, but I would hesitate to pay full price or call this a four-star hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north have a nice view of the water.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CTS80
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This is not a 4 star hotel as it is advertised.

We were not notified that there is valet parking only for this hotel and that it's $20. There's no self parking option.

There is no free in room wifi either. Don't all hotels offer this now??

The bathroom is very dated. It was also poorly lit and the shower never stopped dripping.

I've stayed at better hotels for less money. Just because you have valet parking and gents who open the door and take your luggage doesn't make you a 4 star if the rooms themselves are sub par.

Room Tip: No free wifi. Lower levels hear road noise. No self parking. Expensive valet only.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ogg1e
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Nice size full service Marriott in the heart of Monterey. Very friendly staff. The hotel is a bit dated but the floor we were on seemed to have been recently renovated/refreshed. It is in a good location - close to downtown with lots of shops and restaurants. No self parking options at the hotel so we used the valet which was $20. The breakfast buffet was very nice - lots of options.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2011

The customer service at this hotel was wonderful. The door was always opened for us. The location is great and we were able to walk to great food, fisherman's wharf and its 1.8 miles to Cannery Row. There is valet parking that costs $20 under the hotel. I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Monterey. The hotel has an outdoor pool and a gym. The gym had a good variety and cardio machines has a tv with complimentary earphones. Other travelers did comment on the towels being of poor quality and they are not of the quality you would expect of this hotel.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We stayed here primarily for the convenient location of being within walking distance of the heart of Monterey.

The hotel itself is pleasing in its decor; clean, elegant, and spacious. The service is stellar as well.

The room had a great "beachy" feel to it, and the view was outstanding. The best part though, was their extensive breakfast buffet.

Wow! The layout was magnificent! Everything I could've asked for or imagined in a breakfast buffet was there. Not only was it there--it was excellent quality.

A danish there wasn't just any danish...it was a delicious and delectable danish. Sausage gravy and biscuits? WOW, the best sausage gravy I've ever had. Of course there was a great omelet station as well. I ate so much I had to skip lunch!

The hotel was walking distance from many bars and old fisherman's wharf. Super convenient! We had a great time here!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I was in town for a conference and found this hotel to be quite convenient to the convention center (of course) in addition to Fishermans Wharf and Cannery Row (about a mile walk but very scenic along the water). Using the conference rate, it really was a very good value for the money. What stood out to me the most were the staff who went out of their way to greet you and to assist you. The room was nicely laid out with plenty of counter space in the bathroom. The only complaint I had were the towels which were threadbare and very thin. It would seem they could cough up a few bucks to have nicer towels! The restaurant was very good as well (I ate breakfast as well as a few lunches). The sportsbar was a fun place to have a drink in the evening. I would definitely recommend this hotel for other travelers.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business